Small player contract suggestions - win bonuses et al.

Well, what the title says...

So far we can only offer appearance and goal/clean sheet bonuses to our players.

irl it works a bit differently and there are many more common bonuses which are agreed between clubs and players. It would be nice to have them in the game as well. :)

1. Win bonuses

Players often only receive win bonuses, which are usually also depending on the time of appearance and nothing else.

E.g. a player gets € 10,000 per point, provided he was in the starting eleven and a lesser percentage if he came on as a sub (this will vary from club to club; usually there is a number of different percentages for different appearance times) or even if he just made the bench.

Introducing those would be more realistic than mere appearance bonuses. I don't mean to say that appearance bonuses should go altogether (although they don't exist in many clubs), but an individual win bonus should be added for realism's sake. Also, it would enable us to agree on more performance-driven contracts with the players. If the player AI was good, it would be a new and interesting tool, especially in the lower leagues.

2. Apperance wage rise

There is the option in transfers that amount x is due after a certain number of appearances. many players, especially young ones have automatic wage rises after a certain number of appearances as well.

I.e. a player makes € 120,000 a year which will rise to € 200,000 after 10 first team apps and to € 500,000 after 30.

Again, would be nice and add realism (used on pretty much every level) :)

3. European qualification bonuses

Again, individual bonuses for reaching the group stage (usually that, not just the first round, for obvious economic reasons) of a European competition are absolutely common and demanded at the top clubs.

4. Transfer fee percentage

Comparable to the sell-on clause in transfer contracts some players do get a certain share of a sell-on transfer fee. It's quite rare but it exists, especially in contracts of players who may assume that their market value will rise beyond the currently agreed transfer fee.

5. Looking at the bigger picture

The last one is rather a comment on a flaw than a suggestion.

The players fail to look at the bigger picture economically in their contracts and I regard it as an important fix for the future.

For instance, I can always set the signing fee down to zero, whoever I'm talking to, whatever he demands. That in itself is probably the most incredible unrealistic thing in FM to date. But a cut of 20 percent of the desired appearance money will be refused, even if vastly overcompensated in the basic wage and signing fee.

Players should be able to do the math and add all those clauses up to a number and see what is a good deal and what isn't.

Oh yeah, and signing fees are usually also paid in instalments, usually once a year over the contract duration. But that's up for negotation. Also they are actually counted towards the internal transfer or wage budget (depending on being one-time or serveral payments).

Ok, so much for my little udate from the practical front. Would love to see an improvement in that area in the future. :)

Points 1, 3 and 5 are good ideas.

Not really sure about 2 and 4, I don't think that they'd really add anything to the game - I wouldn't use them unless a player was very good and very insistent.

Those are not actually ideas, rather things I see in real life.

Any way some of those would challenge the AI a bit which so far isn't even capable of adding up numbers :rolleyes:

Archived