Offside very slow..

is it just me or when you are offside the flag doesnt go up straight away there is a puase while you score then up the flag comes!

is that just my computer or do other people get this?

Yep - One of my major gripes.... Flags go up when the offside is seen, not after the goal goes in...

I was thinking, maybe a little offside flag could go up in the corner of the screen, like the BBC do on their match coverage. That way, you can see it if you think the player may be offside, or you might be carried away with the attack and miss it, a la watching football in real life...

I always thought it was to build a bit of tension when an offside isn't clear! How often do you see a goal go in, player celebrating (and manager) and then see the offside flag? Nearly every game irl!

There are some very dodgy offside decisions in FM in my opinion.

I reckon it's about the most realistic thing in the game. Some of the decisions are worthy of the rubbish officials that we see in the Conference on Saturday afternoons :mad: .

FYI, if you play in 3D and you have the rating widget open, if there is a goal in off side the players won't have the "1" goal on the widget, while if the goal is valid, you'll see the goal credited in the rating widget. I normally use this before celebrating a goal that appeared in off side :)

fair enough yeh im the same but still you see a goal then you look but my point is so many times goals are scored then offside the flag isnt up until like 5 secs after..

u watch football sometimes this happens but most times u know if your off side etc.

offside is realistic in my opinion.

Was once robbed off a league title in the last day off the season againts the team closest to me in the dyin minutes off the game.

Was heartbroken. Inverness where so close to being SPL champions.

but i agree with you. Flags are on time more often than they are late

Some of the best/worst moments of the older text-only CM versions came with commentary flashing up telling you that your team or the opposition had scored, only to add 'But it's been disallowed!' a few seconds later.

You could never fully enjoy a goal until it was confirmed on the scoreboard, and you always had that tiny bit of hope when the opposition scored :)

The text only commentary was great. Always used to have a goal chalked off then the opposition score and sit there raging ‘you didn’t disallow that one DID YOU?’

Didn’t it also sometimes force penalties to be retaken, or am I just imagining that?

Sometimes this is due to the rule that it can't be given offside until the offending player actually comes into activity (e.g. trying to get the ball).

Sometimes it's just late flags, just like real life.

ok but late flags seem to be cropping up quite often in the game..

how about the flag idea in the corner?

ok but late flags seem to be cropping up quite often in the game..

how about the flag idea in the corner?

I'd say there has been plenty of occasions you didn't witness of your players being offside, however this is not shown for obvious reasons. However if you are looking at highlights, goals that have been ruled offside will be shown as it's a pretty big moment in the game potentially. It just seems like every offisde is like that. Plenty of goals get chalked off during a season for this reason. I'd say leave the offsides the way this game has them for the entertainment's sake.

EDIT: Since you know when it's offside then it doesn't matter that this is how the game works. i think it's fine the way it is myself with regards to offsides.

• 6 months later...
If it's a goal the ref normally immediately runs to centre circlie, if not it's disallowed. That's how I tell anyway.

Same here.

I think it's deliberate what they've done - it's all about heart-stopping suspense.

eg.

Your team only needs a draw to qualify for the Champions League final.

It's 0 - 0 in the last minute.

They launch a long route 1 ball forward and their striker latches onto it, clean through on goal.

You scream at the screen "for F**K's SAKE! He's OFFSIDE!"

He carries on running, only the keeper to beat ...

"NO WAY!!"

He scores, it flashes

"GOAL FOR GLASGOW RANGERS!!!!" ...

and then you smile with relief

"But it's been disallowed"

"Nacho Novo was offside"

To rub it in, the free kick is taken from near the half-way line. It must have been 20 seconds between receiving the ball and being called offside.

They know what they're doing ;)

FRom what I noticed, when it's a goal was offside the linesman stays at the bottom. When its a legit goal, he immidietly runs up the pitch. Thats what i use to know if the goal stands. Got fed up with celebrating goals that are dissalowed! But its all part of football.

I think it's good fun - perhaps the only instance where they shouldn't pander to realism.

I'm one of those who turned on Live Match of the Day to see their brand new "offside flag" icon coming on in the corner of the screen.

"Where's the fun in that!?" I cried.

I much preferred hearing Motty "and A GOAALLL! Yes.. what a moment for Gareth Bar .. wait .. no .. it's been disallowed. He was offside ... yes, offside."

It's exciting! (it sucks when it's your team that gets the goal belatedly disallowed though)

The late flags are incredibly annoying because unlike real life it doesn't take into account how far offside. You don't normally have late flags for a guy 2 metres offside in real life but he runs in and scores on fm and you think you got away with it because the flag was so late.

When I suspect an offside just watch the referee, If he runs to the centre circle or to the linesman then the goals good. If he stands still it was offside.

Not so much the late flags that bother me, more annoying is the whistle being blown BEFORE the pass/through ball has been played, or the offside CF when the ball is on the way to the winger after a corner breakdown. Just infuriating. The tension ones I can live with, I think ;)

It seems to happen to frequently on the game i find but this does happen in real life though so maybe they need to down tone it some how? I have found quite a lot though where the player is offside and the goal still stands, is this a bug? I believe others have mentioned this too.

I'm actually seeing the opposite in my game more often than not - the offside call comes up just as a player passes the ball. It doesn't even reach the player in an offside position and BLAM! offside. I don't mind too much as it still would be an offside offence but sometimes it's a bit... strange.

There are some very dodgy offside decisions in FM in my opinion.

I reckon it's about the most realistic thing in the game. Some of the decisions are worthy of the rubbish officials that we see in the Conference on Saturday afternoons :mad: .

heh agree, a lot of them seem wrong. I wish there was a way to look at them in slow afterwards, but on the other hand I have soooo many offsides in my games. How come "mistaken" off side decisions are not discussed in press conference afterwards?

Archived