Comedy Toons

After watching Newcastle's last few games on the telly, I thought I'd use an editor to reflect their current situation. In my game they'd got off to a good start in the EPL and were hovering around 5th-6th. What I did was to decrease the players' DETERMINATION and WORKRATE (down about 5 - 10 each) - no other attributes.

The effect - they are nose-diving. Not won in 9, and Ashley has just reacted by sacking Shearer and replacing him with Juventus' goalkeeping coach. :rolleyes:

Pure comedy.

The serious point is the interesting effect those 2 attributes have had on their fortunes. Food for thought?

After watching Newcastle's last few games on the telly, I thought I'd use an editor to reflect their current situation. In my game they'd got off to a good start in the EPL and were hovering around 5th-6th. What I did was to decrease the players' DETERMINATION and WORKRATE (down about 5 - 10 each) - no other attributes.

The effect - they are nose-diving. Not won in 9, and Ashley has just reacted by sacking Shearer and replacing him with Juventus' goalkeeping coach. :rolleyes:

Pure comedy.

The serious point is the interesting effect those 2 attributes have had on their fortunes. Food for thought?

Very interesting experiment Andy. :thup:

I'm feeling bad now. The Juve coach was a caretaker manager and they brought in lovely Roy Hodgson. In the Jan transfer window he was very active; the 2 players he got off me certainly have healthy DET and WKRATE - did the AI actually aim for that?

However, they still haven't chalked up one victory in 17 now and are hovering above the drop-zone (With Coppell's Fulham at the bottom).

Pure comedy.

Never underestimate the small things!

That said, it's not work rate that's the problem with Newcastle. Firstly, they can't defend. Secondly, Danny Guthrie is their most creative player (followed by Joey Barton). Thirdly, Michael Owen. Fourthly, Mike Ashley.

Its a great thought-experiment.

Over the past five versions ('05-'09), I've felt like the mental side of the game has become increasingly important.

In fact, for me, Determination and Work Rate are two of my "limtus test" attributes (along with Decisions and Teamwork): I am very unlikely to pick up a player who is low in one of those, and low in two would rule out a player whose other attributes rivaled Pele's.

I'm, in particular, convinced that those two attributes are key to breaking out of a slump, so it'll be interesting to hear how your Toon fare!

fifthly, Newcastle fans singing "you dont know what your doing" at Sam Allardyce when they were mid table therefore helping him get the sack.

It is fairly dubious whether Big Sam did know what he was doing, though - for example, he gifted Derby County their only win of that season!

However, Big Sam did have to sort out an absolutely woeful defence and Toon fans don't really appreciate it - considering Beye and José Enrique are their first-choice full-backs and both Big Sam buys. So 2 out of 4 defenders sorted is not really a bad record considering Newcastle's history of, er, good defending and bargain signings.

It is fairly dubious whether Big Sam did know what he was doing, though - for example, he gifted Derby County their only win of that season!

However, Big Sam did have to sort out an absolutely woeful defence and Toon fans don't really appreciate it - considering Beye and José Enrique are their first-choice full-backs and both Big Sam buys. So 2 out of 4 defenders sorted is not really a bad record considering Newcastle's history of, er, good defending and bargain signings.

Jose Enrique is first choice only because we don't have another left back. He cost something like £7m - a ridiculous amount for the shoddy quality he is.

Fat Sam was ripping the heart out of the club, we were playing horrible football and he signed horrible players. He had to go, and I stick by that even with the situation we're in now.

thanks for bring the thread back on topic Amaroq. Guys, please dont get the thread closed due to discussion about real-life Toon; this is an FM09 thread. A few more games last night - they got their only victory against bottom-placed Wigan with a brace from new signing Balotelli. Hasn't stopped the rot though - they hovering above the drop-zone with 5 other poor sides.

Jose Enrique is first choice only because we don't have another left back. He cost something like £7m - a ridiculous amount for the shoddy quality he is.

Fat Sam was ripping the heart out of the club, we were playing horrible football and he signed horrible players. He had to go, and I stick by that even with the situation we're in now.

Still better than whoever you were putting out there: Stephen Carr?

Either way, how's their scoring record?

Archived