CL spots allocation

Does anyone know if a country/league's CL spots allocation changes every season, possibly due to their clubs' performances in the competition? For example, the Czech league starts out with 2 CL spots and I believe 3 or 4 UEFA spots, and 1 Intertoto. AFter i went on holiday for the first season, in the second season it changes to only 1 CL spot and 2 or 3 UEFA spots, and NO more intertoto. Can someone shed some light on this, is this a Czech league specific (hardcoded) or does it happen with others as well?

Is there anyway i can check how many entrants there will be from my chosen country for each euro competition at the beginning of the season?

I am managing Rangers in Scotland and i know that in season 1 we have 2 CL spots and for season 2 we have 2 CL spots......but how would i know if that were made only 1 CL...or do i have to wait for it to happen before i know! I could end the season second in the league expecting to get a CL qualifying spot and then find out i am in the europa cup as scotland only has 1 CL spot in season 3, due to all the Scottish teams on my game performing poorly and wrecking the coeffifient.

Can anyone help?

many thanks

In FM 08 - only 3 english team were allowed CL access after a few years. Shame for everyone else that me and Chelsea were at the top every year, so basically the rest of the league would fight it out for 1 place. Quite amusing really :rolleyes:

Is there anyway i can check how many entrants there will be from my chosen country for each euro competition at the beginning of the season?

I am managing Rangers in Scotland and i know that in season 1 we have 2 CL spots and for season 2 we have 2 CL spots......but how would i know if that were made only 1 CL...or do i have to wait for it to happen before i know! I could end the season second in the league expecting to get a CL qualifying spot and then find out i am in the europa cup as scotland only has 1 CL spot in season 3, due to all the Scottish teams on my game performing poorly and wrecking the coeffifient.

Can anyone help?

many thanks

It should say on the league rules what position you need to finish in. Alternatively, go to the Champions League or Euro Cup page, and click on coefficients on the left. Find Scotland and it will say the number of CL and EC places there are :thup:

It should say on the league rules what position you need to finish in. Alternatively, go to the Champions League or Euro Cup page, and click on coefficients on the left. Find Scotland and it will say the number of CL and EC places there are :thup:

Hi JSalter,

Brilliant! You are a star, thanks for that, much appreciated...i really should have realised to check either of those ways!!...but thanks for helping me out.

Inzie

Yet again these forums are fantastic for help with FM and people answering queries that make all the difference to the game.

I've just checked Wikipedia and the Intertoto cup has been discontinued after this years (2008) Competition was completed. That explains the loss of Intertoto.

Also reading the page it looks as though the Intertoto place is being incorporated into the league finishing positions so 5th, 6th and 7th in england will go into the europa league although 7th will have to go through all the qualifying stages.

i wanted to create a super league with all the best teams from many leagues all in the premiership but it didnt work that well due to not being able to change the amount of places in the champions league most of the best teams turned poor and lost players due to not qualifying, shame you cant change the amount of places avaliable, for example, take 2 away from italien league and put the in the premier league to keep the balence etc

I've just checked Wikipedia and the Intertoto cup has been discontinued after this years (2008) Competition was completed. That explains the loss of Intertoto.

Also reading the page it looks as though the Intertoto place is being incorporated into the league finishing positions so 5th, 6th and 7th in england will go into the europa league although 7th will have to go through all the qualifying stages.

Though 6th and 7th's places will go to the League Cup and FA Cup Winners first.

Also if a team in your country wins the UEFA Cup they get an extra place in the UEFA Cup, even if they finish in one of the other UEFA Cup spots they'll still qualify as winners opening up an extra spot. (Champions League Winners will steal the 4th placers spot if they didn't finish in the top four.)

One thing I don't get though, and UEFA hasn't explained this properly, is that if the UEFA/Europa League winner qualifies for the Champions League. How does that spot get allocated? Because it says the holders go into the group stage straightaway.

It seems a bit unfair that some random team gets to bypass all the qualifying stages just because they are in the same league as the Europa League winners who made the Champions League.

I've been hearig that loads of clubs don't actually want to qualify for the Europa league because it will entail playing so many matches that their domestic form will suffer, or they'll need bigger squads.

• 2 months later...

This is what happened after Liverpool won the CL in 2005. UEFA allowed them to enter the competition at the first qualifying stage, but as far as I can remember said that if a similar situation were to arise in the future, it would be up to the Premier League to decide who would get the final spot.

I believe if you go to the SPL in your case and check the rules for that league it should state what position gets what european place at the end of the season

Just a little question. I finished 4th last season with ManU and thus should go to the CL. I'm not.

Apparently Arsenal, that finished 5th but did win the CL took my place. Is that how it is supposed to work?

Yep.

The holders will take the place of the fourth place team. UEFA amended the rules after the Liverpool debacle.

This is what happened after Liverpool won the CL in 2005. UEFA allowed them to enter the competition at the first qualifying stage, but as far as I can remember said that if a similar situation were to arise in the future, it would be up to the Premier League to decide who would get the final spot.

What the position was at the time was that UEFA allowed the individual associations to decide on how the situation would be resolved. The FA didn't have an actual plan for what to do (unlke all the other major leagues wh said CL winners take the to spot and league positions get shunted down one), so English CL qualifiers were based on the league. Liverpool appealed for place in group stages, with FA backing, but UEFA's best solution at the time whas first round qualifiaction. UEFA then changed the rules to currnt position to avoid any further embarrasment.

Does anyone know if a country/league's CL spots allocation changes every season, possibly due to their clubs' performances in the competition?

I would also like to know as it's something that I have been wondering for a while.

I would also like to know as it's something that I have been wondering for a while.

Yes, they could potentially change every year. The rankings are based on the results of the nation's clubs the past 5 years. From year to year the changes would be pretty small normally but after a good number of seasons you should see the playable leagues' topclubs in your save gravitate to the top as they're bound to have greater success in Europe.

Archived