terrible!!!!!

alright guys ive finally uninstalled this game and put the disk in the bin where it belongs......

i have always loved fm and cm games and im going to give you the major reasons why i hate this monstrosity of a game, no doubt this will get closed as the moderators dont take critisism very well and like to pretend si have done a grand job this year.......

Strikers - alot will disagree but personally i know far too many people (friends & work mates) who have problems with their so called top strikers being consistent, alot put this done to tactics but when strikers are getting the chance's which they just baloon over the bar time and time again not good enough............ your granny could score most of them!!!!!

Long Shots - quick one, no matter what i set the instructions at there is always long shots been attempted at ridicolous distances by mediocre players

Matches - far too many matches are being dominated (1-0 lead) for 89mins just for the opposistion to score a corner in the last minutes, i know this happens in real life but not as much as it does in this game

Teamtalk - this for me is a ticking time-bomb, im man city 3-0 up against villa at home at half-time, i go with the pleased response (which obviously any manager would be) and what do you know i dont touch the ball second half and get beat 3-4, this scenario has happened quite alot for me and my friends and i think team talks are too sensitive turning ronaldo to a nervous wreck or turning charlie adam into the new messi, not very realistic.... players should make up their own minds sometimes (instead of being mindless zombies) if it is better for the the team..... another little anoying thing is commentary saying at the end of game "robinho should feel he could have contributed more"!!!!! what the...... he scored 2, set 1 up got 8.6 rating and man of the match!!!!! so annoying and also happens far to much

i have also noticed a total randomness to results and perfromances itook the liberty to DO A little experiment,... i was man city on great form won my last 5 games and playing generally well i was home to westham who are nestled at the bottom of the league without a point in 8 games only scoring 3....... so i decided to play the match 5 times and the reults were totally different to say the least.... 1. i draw 2-2 in quite a even match, 2. i win 4-1 in a match i dominated, 3. i win 1-0 in a match which i had been outplayed in and managed to score a lucky freekick on the 87th minute, 4. funnily enough i lose 3-1 in a game i dominated in which just couldnt score and westham only had 4 shots, 5. i lose 2-3 after being 2 up at half time and not having a single shot 2nd half.......

my point with these matches is all the factors stay the same eg.... line-ups, weather, pre team talks, half time talks, human subs..... if i was playing my season normally i could have been hit with any 1 of those 5 results randomly... would you not agree with that assumption

just like to hear any of the opinions of the players out their cheers!!!!!!!

p.s prob think of more later:thdn:

have you updated to the newest version? will fix your problems

i doubt my granny would get into the positions most of my players to, she wouldnt have the pace for a start. It probaly is your tactics. Have you tried the tactics forums for advice

losing a goal in the last minutes? it definalty is your tactics. You arent making the correct changes. Sir alex ferguson you arent

You cant be hit with results randomly because you and the ai will do things differnently if you play the game over and over agian. Your floggin a dead horse with that one and most off your critisim as its been mentioned and discussed plenty of times before

I've been playing since 99, and playing a lot since cm 01/02. Every year there's threads like these but sadly this is the first year I can actually say that I feel the same way. I shelved the game out of the box, not upset or anything but its a regular period for SI to patch the game out before its up to standard for me. But it hasn't gotten much better. Playing this years game with 9.3 or any previous patch makes me sick to be quite honest. Most of the game features are the same but work well and I greatly enjoy them but its once again the match engine that is horrendous. The brain dead movements, the sitters missed or the regular 40yd strikes curling in, its all too much this season so 09 is being shelved in hopes that the next of the series has some major revamp in the match engine department to produce a game worthy of the title, because 09 surely isn't which is a shame.

no logical reason? if your losing a 1 nil lead or 2 nil lead in the last minutes you havent reacted to the oppositions changes. Play more defenseive, try long passing. dont have every 1 up front aswell. Time waste aswell but not to early or it will backfire

I've been playing since 99, and playing a lot since cm 01/02. Every year there's threads like these but sadly this is the first year I can actually say that I feel the same way. I shelved the game out of the box, not upset or anything but its a regular period for SI to patch the game out before its up to standard for me. But it hasn't gotten much better. Playing this years game with 9.3 or any previous patch makes me sick to be quite honest. Most of the game features are the same but work well and I greatly enjoy them but its once again the match engine that is horrendous. The brain dead movements, the sitters missed or the regular 40yd strikes curling in, its all too much this season so 09 is being shelved in hopes that the next of the series has some major revamp in the match engine department to produce a game worthy of the title, because 09 surely isn't which is a shame.

here here!!!!

no logical reason? if your losing a 1 nil lead or 2 nil lead in the last minutes you havent reacted to the oppositions changes. Play more defenseive, try long passing. dont have every 1 up front aswell. Time waste aswell but not to early or it will backfire

tried it all m8, if the engine wants it, it will happen

does anyone actualy realise that if so many sitters where not missed then those people who complain about them would be complaining about far to many goals being scored?

m8!!!!!! the likes of benzema and rooney shouldnt be missing the chances that they are, all we are asking is for a bit of realism, if benzema would take 4 chances irl surely he can take the exact same chances in the game

3 shots on target should average one goal. 6 shots should average 2 goals. 9 would average 3 goals and so on

this is for one player, not the team as a whole

This stat is not made up. Check it out if you dont believe me.

Wayne Rooney on my game has had 36 shots on target on my game and 14 goals. Just above average.

3 shots on target should average one goal. 6 shots should average 2 goals. 9 would average 3 goals and so on

Wayne Rooney on my game has had 36 shots on target on my game and 14 goals. Just above average.

would agree with that if rooney was shhoting from distance or a hard chance but how many 1 0n 1's or sitters done the likes of rooney miss irl

1 on 1 cant always be classed as sitters to be honest. You have to take in the quality of the keeper. Has he positioned himself right before he comits himself? is he good at rushing out? is he brave enough to gather that ball?

Not everything you see in the game is a clear cut 1 on 1 chance

its not clear cut if there is a goal keeper in his way.

If the goal keeper is caught out of positon. And it was this type of incident then and it happend alot then I would agree with you but its not from what your saying

would agree with that if rooney was shhoting from distance or a hard chance but how many 1 0n 1's or sitters done the likes of rooney miss irl

and how are you identifying that a chance is a "sitter" or a "one on one" ??

I think the main problem is that the 3D graphics aren't always fully representing what is being calculated by the match engine and this leads to some confusion which further leads to threads like these.

As for teamtalks, I would agree that the effects do seem a little excessive on occasions and possibly need "tweaked" a little but in the main are realistic.

The problem with them again seems to be the wording doesn't always match the underlying instruction which is taken into account by the match engine.

and how are you identifying that a chance is a "sitter" or a "one on one" ??

I think the main problem is that the 3D graphics aren't always fully representing what is being calculated by the match engine and this leads to some confusion which further leads to threads like these.

As for teamtalks, I would agree that the effects do seem a little excessive on occasions and possibly need "tweaked" a little but in the main are realistic.

The problem with them again seems to be the wording doesn't always match the underlying instruction which is taken into account by the match engine.

the point being a striker with 16+ composure shouldnt be ballooning the majority of their chances over the bar when running on a 1on1 situation or a normal chance ( 3d mode and 2d)

the point being a striker with 16+ composure shouldnt be ballooning the majority of their chances over the bar when running on a 1on1 situation or a normal chance ( 3d mode and 2d)

and I said the graphics don't always seem to correctly represent what the ME calculates.

What about the match report?

match stats?

Individual stats?

For the record my lower league strikers don't "balloon" most of their chances so if this is really happening you need to work out why they are doing it.

and if he scored all these chances would you not complain that to many goals would be getting scored. The problem seems to be not that the player is putting them over but the keeper isent saving and gathering up as many as he should be to make it realistic?

The problem is that the OP seems to be looking at 1 on 1's as clear cut chances which they aren't. I have a world class striker in Aguero on my Athletico save. Now he scores at a rate of just over 1 a game which I believe is realistic for a striker on the game and IRL.

I would suggest having a look at the tactics being used if players are taking too many long shots as I'm not having problems like this.

The problem is that the OP seems to be looking at 1 on 1's as clear cut chances which they aren't. I have a world class striker in Aguero on my Athletico save. Now he scores at a rate of just over 1 a game which I believe is realistic for a striker on the game and IRL.

I would suggest having a look at the tactics being used if players are taking too many long shots as I'm not having problems like this.

plenty of ppl share my views, it is all now down to luck i think when it comes to match results, thereare afew strikers with decent records i agree but all i am saying is far too many top players couldnt finish their dinner, tactics are fine midfiels supply them with plenty of chances

plenty of ppl share my views, it is all now down to luck i think when it comes to match results, thereare afew strikers with decent records i agree but all i am saying is far too many top players couldnt finish their dinner, tactics are fine midfiels supply them with plenty of chances

Judging by the RL games I've seen this season in the pub plenty of people think they know everything about tactics but in reality they know very little but thats another story ;)

Again how are you identifying that your midfield supply plenty of chances and the quality of those chances?

I can see his point - I've also had times when I've thought it doesn't matter what I do, the result is calculated and the ME will be forced to show it in a way that makes the match events look contrived. In a recent match - which I lost 1-0 - both sides hadn't had many chances. Then some League Two midfield clogger goes on a run that'd make Messi gasp in awe, before curling a shot into the net from 25 yards. OK, sometimes that happens, it's not impossible. Fair one.

However, when I checked back over the commentary lines, the 'run' was nothing more than 'X runs with ball', 'X continues his run', 'Still no Hereford challenge'. The goal itself was made to look as though it was an easier chance, the player wasn't under challenge, etc, and was able to pick his spot. According to text commentary, it wasn't a fluke after a Messi-like run past players at all...because there had been no real challenge.

Basically, what I saw represented on-screen did not reflect the match event that closely. Maybe that's to keep it visually interesting, I don't know. It does make me think that a lot of the complaints wouldn't happen if there was no graphical representation, though.

i honestly just think people feel the game is unrealistic because they go through a season in what a couple of days so thats probley 40-60 games in about 3 days. it stands to reason that in such a short period of time you are going to see tons of misses from one on one chances or long yard shots that normally dont go in. its like the thing when people think whenever it comes up that a striker hasnt scored in 500minutes he scores against you. this doesnt happen everytime but it just sticks out. considering for example a striker scores 20 goals in a season how many of those are you actually going to remember how they were scored. people just highlight the misses cos they get hung up on a striker missing one and then are continously looking for it.

Personally i would feel the game is unrealistic is Rooney and Benzema scored every single clear cut chance they had. 9/10 a team has more shots on goal than it does goals in a game. Are you asking for every chance Rooney has that he scores? Or are you saying all strikers should be made to score more and the game is filled with Cricket scores? Because you've confused me.

From what i can see is that you want strikers to score more BUT you want the game realistic? I feel the whole striker argument is getting tiresome as my strikers are scoring realistic amounts on 9.3

Composure is not the all and all that decide the outcome. In rea life a player can be very composed in front of goal (composure 20) but he failed to score. Maybe the pace of the game is too fast for him, maybe his confidence is not high, maybe he has a poor technique, maybe he has a poor decision as to what he should do, maybe he is tired, maybe he is not motivated and couldnt care less where the ball goes, maybe he is scared of the incoming defender that has been rough to him all game, maybe the GK he is facing is having a very good game or maybe a combination of it or maybe his wife is betting their house that he is not gonna score in that game/season.

Even if you edit your stiker to max every one of their attributes, he will not be still not score 10/10 of his shots/1v1. The perfect player's capabilities in the game is modeled to the best player ever exsisted in real life, even that best player still miss tons and has many flaws.

Saying that people would be complaining for too many goals if the sitters were made is ridiculous. It's a matter of balance, players do miss close range sitters but not on the scale seen in 09, not even close. On the opposite end of the spectrum we have players scoring on far too many long range efforts. The match engine seems to work slightly better, albeit still greatly flawed compared to previous years, in the top leagues (EPL, La Liga, Serie A). In lower leagues, especially in my Brazil game, it's much more apparent of whats wrong with the match engine.

I understand the difficulty of balancing a match engine like this but it NEEDS to be done to further the games progress, as is its rather useless to even watch the matches.

You are being generous there. 1 goal per 4 shots on target and 10 shots total is the real life stat. The best forwards in the world finish 1 in 3 one on ones.

Regarding the late goals, the last five minutes of a match have more goals per minute than any other period. If you are 1-0 up and not taking steps to protect that lead, there is a great likelihood of a goal being scored (at either end as play will open up and players will be tired and make mistakes) in real and virtual football.

regarding the point on strikers the OP makes, i think we are influenced too much by FM08, and that was getting to the point of being ridiculous imo, where strikers could easily finish with a goal a game or better without even being world class.

Granted there are going to be a few exceptions (eto'o/messi this year) but on the whole we expect too much due to the influence of previous games, imo.

I can see his point - I've also had times when I've thought it doesn't matter what I do, the result is calculated and the ME will be forced to show it in a way that makes the match events look contrived. In a recent match - which I lost 1-0 - both sides hadn't had many chances. Then some League Two midfield clogger goes on a run that'd make Messi gasp in awe, before curling a shot into the net from 25 yards. OK, sometimes that happens, it's not impossible. Fair one.

However, when I checked back over the commentary lines, the 'run' was nothing more than 'X runs with ball', 'X continues his run', 'Still no Hereford challenge'. The goal itself was made to look as though it was an easier chance, the player wasn't under challenge, etc, and was able to pick his spot. According to text commentary, it wasn't a fluke after a Messi-like run past players at all...because there had been no real challenge.

Basically, what I saw represented on-screen did not reflect the match event that closely. Maybe that's to keep it visually interesting, I don't know. It does make me think that a lot of the complaints wouldn't happen if there was no graphical representation, though.

So do you watch much football outside the premiership, i've seen league of ireland players who aren't good enough to play in the BSN score amazing goals, i once scored one of the best goals of the season and i'm a terrible player i just caught the ball so sweet.

All of this happens in real life

I have a friend who has no idea that any of these problems exist. He's never heard of TT&F, never comes on these forums, never used to patch the game until steam started doing it for him. He has no 'tactical knowledge' as we would understand it. He just gets the game and plays.

My point? He loves it, and has heaps of success. He doesn't complain about how 'unfair' it is when his strikers miss. He doesn't analyse why his strikers miss in terms of match engines or programming or coding. He just decides what his players are doing wrong, and adjusts accordingly.

Sometimes I think that those of us who frequent these forums read so much about the game that we lose sight of things.

It wasn't so long ago that there was no 2D match engine, let alone a 3D one. The more SI give us the more we have to complain about. We are being given a more visual representation of the game, which we expect to correspond with real life football matches. This just isn't going to happen - yet (hopefully in my lifetime)

Perhaps we should all take a leaf out of my friends book. Play the game, enjoy the game and try to win trophies.

Haven't read all the posts, so apologies if I repeat anything but in reference to the OP:

people take ridiculous long shots when they have no one to pass to - it's your tactics (I too had this problem)

"feels he should have contributed more" just means that they missed a sitter that has cost you. (regardless of what else they do)

Team talks work fine for me - would have to know what you're saying, and when, to help out, but there are guides.

As for the randomness of results - it's a butterfly effect. Let's say you score early against a low determination team: their heads will go down and you might nab three or four.

But if they score a flukey deflected free kick, then mabye they gain some self-belief and fight you all the way to a victory, or draw.

Man Utd vs Tottenham: if Tottenham had played for a draw, they probably could have got it: Man Utd were looking mediocre. But Aaron Lennon got fired up (team talk?) had a stormer - and Tottenham went 2-0 up, essentially kicking a hornet's nest containing one of the world's best attacks and they got stung for five in the second half. What were the team talks at half-time? They do matter.

Could easily have been a different result if reloaded: if Bent hadn't flukily scored after missing his header completely, if the penalty wasn't given, if Gomes had a better day etc.

oh, and as a utd fan I think he's great, but Rooney misses a LOT of one-on-ones, and easy chances - as does Tevez - and Berba wastes a few too. And that's one of the best attacks in the world. Look at Drogba over two legs against Barcelona - an easy one-on-one missed in both legs.

If you're not a prime Ruud van Nistlerooy, then sometimes you miss. Andy Cole scored 25 goals in the premiership and he was well-known for scoring about 1 in 5 chances. A lot of misses get forgotten because the team wins anyway.

Archived