SI Community Challenge #3: 'Old Firm' in the English Premier League

Welcome to the third SI Community Challenge, Old Firm in the Premiership.

Background

The history of Scottish football is utterly dominated by the so-called 'Old Firm' clubs, Celtic and Rangers. Between them, they have won the Scottish League title an astonishing 93 times, the Scottish Cup 66 times and the League Cup 39 times. Historically both maintain periods of relative domination, such as each sides 9-in-a-row successes of the 60's and 70's (Celtic) and 80's/90s (Rangers).

But this domination leads to accusations that the Scottish League is uncompetitive, with other clubs rarely able to break the 'Old Firm' stranglehold. Indeed, no other club has won the League since 1985. European success has been relatively fleeting. Celtic were the first British club to win the European Cup in 1967, while Rangers took home the Cup Winners Cup in 1972. In the current decade, both came close to unlikely UEFA Cup triumphs, runners-up in 2003 and 2007 respectively.

Both clubs have long and proud histories, holding many British and European attendance records and winning numerous trophies. Both enjoy massive following in Scotland, Ireland and accross the world; with supporter's clubs to be found in the most unlikely outposts, worldwide fan bases are estimated to number in the millions. Celtic play at the massive Celtic Park, with it's 60,832 capacity; Rangers at Ibrox which holds 51,082, both of which are filled every other week.

In spite of this, both clubs and many of their fans frequently express frustration at being 'held back' by the confines of the SPL, with it's limited TV revenue which has lead to the clubs increasingly becoming unable to compete with even lower end Premiership teams for transfer fees and wages, let alone clubs of comparitive size and stature in terms of history and fanbase, such as the Big 4 in England.

As such, participation in the Premiership has become something of a holy grail for the 'Old Firm'...with it's massive TV contracts and vastly increased income arising, surely both of the Old Firm, in short time, could compete at the top end of the English Premier League? Of late, some English clubs' chairmen have also expressed a willingness to consider inviting the Old Firm to the party...

In this scenario, we will find out just how well they can compete in the EPL if they'd been there in the current season.

The aim

To take over Celtic or Rangers in the English Premier League and achieve as much success as possible in the 2008/9 season.

Rules

• You should download this file, kindly prepared by dafuge, and follow the instruction contained within (open in wordpad or similar to read), which will result in Celtic and Rangers being placed in the English Premier League. (alternative download location here)
  • You must load the English Premier League and SPL as a minimum, other English leagues if desired. Note that the SPL is required for all data to load correctly.
  • Database size is optional, but smaller should mean quicker loading times.
  • Manager starting experience should be set to automatic; you should post a screenshot of your manager's profile at the outset to prove this.
  • Any achievements must be proven with screenshots.
  • Please posts links to screenshots rather than the actual picture.
  • This is a tough challenge, but kindly try to avoid anything that might be considered cheating. If you're in any doubt, please ask

Points system

For finishing position:

100: Champions

80: 2nd

75: 3rd

70: 4th

65: 5th

60: 6th

50: 7th to 10th

40: 10th to 14th

30: 14th to 17th

0: relegated

Cups:

50: FA Cup winners

40: FA Cup finalists

25: FA Cup semi-finalists

30: League Cup winners

20: League Cup finalists

10: League Cup semi-finalists

Bonus points:

15: For remaining undefeated at home in the league

5: For each win against the 'Big 4' (Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea)

5: For winning home and away against your Old Firm rival

2: For each player from the original squads who plays in more than half of your team's league games that season

I will maintain a list of participants with points scored below. Best of luck!

Leaderboard

Celtic:

1. Norrbacka: 198 points
2. rberbe2002: 105 points
3. mickeyc: 57 points

Rangers:

1. ger1873: 173 points
2. Raxxman: 128 points

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).
  • Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image
  • Save the file as a JPEG
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

How to Add Links

At the top of the forum, go to 'quick links' then 'edit options'. At the bottom, select 'enhanced interface' and save the changes. This will give you access to the extra posting tools that make it easier to post links. Once you've done this, highlight the word you wish to turn into a link, then use the link button (looks like a little globe) to paste in the direct Url to your screenshot.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like we need to load the SPL when starting the game to make sure all the data is there.

Thanks - I've amended the opening post to reflect this.

For everyone playing, let us know if there's any other problems.

What clubs have been relegated/moved to Scotland?

Stoke and Hull have been switched into the SPL as the two lowest placed promoted teams.

Between them, they have won the Scottish League title an astonishing 93 times,

And Rangers have won 51 of those, and hopefully, 52 in the next 3 weeks... =P

Anyway, great idea. However, I do feel that Rangers achieving success should be of more points - they have a weaker team in the game, no money(until the owner decides whether to sell or not), and there is a high risk of you losing your job, like somebody has pointed out(The AssMan might get the job instead, because he is an unproven manager. Not Ally, Ally's a legend. =P).

Anyway, I might give this go. My only run with Rangers was terrible, in the SPL. But that's because the team is terrible in the game, in my opinion.

Also, has European Football been canceled out for Rangers and Celtic then, with this challenge? Or does it remain?

hey guys, quick question, ive downloaded the file but i cant find the folder its supposed to go in "Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\updates\update-930\db\930\edt" I run my game through Steam - anybody else have this problem are is it just me being stupid??

Cheers!

hey guys, quick question, ive downloaded the file but i cant find the folder its supposed to go in "Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\updates\update-930\db\930\edt" I run my game through Steam - anybody else have this problem are is it just me being stupid??

Cheers!

it should be in program files/steam/steam apps/common

So far after taking on Celtic. I have done some major improvement on the team. As with the default team I recon I would be fighting for a place arrount 8th-12th. I managed to sign Vagner Love 18,5M over 2 years and Leo 12M over 2 years. Got M. Diarra, Saviola and Vicente on loan.

So far I have been strugling in the cup (because I have played the youngsters, but managed to win both games, although one was on penalties). League form is 2 wins in 2 home games, but both were very very hard working games. My defence looks a bit shaky sometimes. Maybe when Leo gets fit it will be better :p

Screenshots soon :)

Rangers are playing in Uefa Cup, Celtic, im not sure.

Rangers is in the UEFA Cup?

That's weird.

Because neither Stoke nor Hull is in the Uefa Cup, and Rangers was in the Champions League at the start of the season...

And Celtic was also in the Champions League, automatically this season.

Rangers had qualifiers - and failed...

Opening day win for me, 1-0 away at Fulham - mind you had to wait for 91st minute penalty from John Fleck to get the result. Hoping Fleck will be my surprise package of the season - love playing a left footed striker and he's the only I've got!

Haven't been able to bring anyone in yet but trying to offload Papac and Broadfoot to free up some money - have two targets in mind and should be able to get both on loan deals. Desperately need a left back as well.

Good to see a third challenge starting! Will start this once i finish my first season with Luton AND my 2nd season with porto on the other challenges!

Looking forward to it. Always had a slight preference for celtic over rangers (no idea why!? maybe because they have a more colourful kit!) so will take over as celtic!

Welcome to the third SI Community Challenge, Old Firm in the Premiership.

Background

The history of Scottish football is utterly dominated by the so-called 'Old Firm' clubs, Celtic and Rangers. Between them, they have won the Scottish League title an astonishing 93 times, the Scottish Cup 66 times and the League Cup 39 times. Historically both maintain periods of relative domination, such as each sides 9-in-a-row successes of the 60's and 70's (Celtic) and 80's/90s (Rangers).

But this domination leads to accusations that the Scottish League is uncompetitive, with other clubs rarely able to break the 'Old Firm' stranglehold. Indeed, no other club has won the League since 1985. European success has been relatively fleeting. Celtic were the first British club to win the European Cup in 1967, while Rangers took home the Cup Winners Cup in 1972. In the current decade, both came close to unlikely UEFA Cup triumphs, runners-up in 2003 and 2007 respectively.

Both clubs have long and proud histories, holding many British and European attendance records and winning numerous trophies. Both enjoy massive following in Scotland, Ireland and accross the world; with supporter's clubs to be found in the most unlikely outposts, worldwide fan bases are estimated to number in the millions. Celtic play at the massive Celtic Park, with it's 60,832 capacity; Rangers at Ibrox which holds 51,082, both of which are filled every other week.

In spite of this, both clubs and many of their fans frequently express frustration at being 'held back' by the confines of the SPL, with it's limited TV revenue which has lead to the clubs increasingly becoming unable to compete with even lower end Premiership teams for transfer fees and wages, let alone clubs of comparitive size and stature in terms of history and fanbase, such as the Big 4 in England.

As such, participation in the Premiership has become something of a holy grail for the 'Old Firm'...with it's massive TV contracts and vastly increased income arising, surely both of the Old Firm, in short time, could compete at the top end of the English Premier League? Of late, some English clubs' chairmen have also expressed a willingness to consider inviting the Old Firm to the party...

In this scenario, we will find out just how well they can compete in the EPL if they'd been there in the current season.

The aim

To take over Celtic or Rangers in the English Premier League and achieve as much success as possible in the 2008/9 season.

Rules

• You should download this file, kindly prepared by dafuge, and follow the instruction contained within (open in wordpad or similar to read), which will result in Celtic and Rangers being placed in the English Premier League.
  • You must load the English Premier League and SPL as a minimum, other English leagues if desired. Note that the SPL is required for all data to load correctly.
  • Database size is optional, but smaller should mean quicker loading times.
  • Manager starting experience should be set to automatic; you should post a screenshot of your manager's profile at the outset to prove this.
  • Any achievements must be proven with screenshots.
  • Please posts links to screenshots rather than the actual picture.
  • This is a tough challenge, but kindly try to avoid anything that might be considered cheating. If you're in any doubt, please ask

Points system

For finishing position:

100: Champions

80: 2nd

75: 3rd

70: 4th

65: 5th

60: 6th

50: 7th to 10th

40: 10th to 14th

30: 14th to 17th

0: relegated

Cups:

50: FA Cup winners

40: FA Cup finalists

25: FA Cup semi-finalists

30: League Cup winners

20: League Cup finalists

10: League Cup semi-finalists

Bonus points:

15: For remaining undefeated at home in the league

5: For each win against the 'Big 4' (Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea)

5: For winning home and away against your Old Firm rival

2: For each player from the original squads who plays in more than half of your team's league games that season

I will maintain a list of participants with points scored below. Best of luck!

Great idea, does this mean there are 22 teams in the Premiership?

This sounds like an interesting challenge so i thought i would ive this one a go. This is the first challenge i have ever tried and i opted for Rangers.

It looks like it will be difficult as i have no money, over the wage budget and i need to heavily strengthen the squad. I was told to acheive a safe mid table position (which i think is a bit below par). At least i am in the Euro Cup though.

My Profile

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6503/profilen.jpg

when i try to download th file all it does is bring up the HTML doc explaining where to put the edt file it doesn't actually download the file? any help?

Have you tried saving it instead of opening it? The instructions are actually inside the file.

Morning, Just read this and will give it a go!! Sounds fun.

But Could someone tell me how too take a screen shot and post it please?

press 'print screen' whilst in game.

Then paste it into paint or something similar and save it.

Then upload it to a site such as photobucket

Then just post a link here :thup:

Have you tried saving it instead of opening it? The instructions are actually inside the file.[/quote

Thanks mate, i figured it out. just normally open downloads and get rid of the txt files and stuf before i save them.

just the HTML file save was confusing me at first. thaanks again.

Just one thing, when i go to upload my profile, it won't let me print screen on that page that mentions "automatic"? any tips?

Archived