Match fixing

Does anyone else deliberately look to screw up their big rivals if possible?

In my 2008/09 season I'd won the Premiership at a canter, so was blooding some young players in the last 3-4 games. Going into the last game of the season Man U were in 6th place but could still theoretically qualify for the CL if Villa lost and they won. My last game was against Villa, at Villa Park icon_wink.gif

I sent out a team with an average age of 20, in a straight 442 and a very attacking mentality.

Disaster loomed - I won 3-0!

Luckily Man U lost their game anyway icon_biggrin.gif

I have never taken any notice of other peoples position in the league and as soon as I have the title in the bag I field youth players for the remainder of the season. It has probably helped a few teams out now and then, but I haven't noticed.

I've relegated a few teams or got a few managers sacked and I genuinely feel sorry for them afterwards.

I once got bored waiting for Man U to go broke, and with Rooney scoring a ridiculous amount of goals thought it would be funny to increase his income to £1m per goal on FMM. Didn't play far beyond that, but it only took 8 weeks for them to go into administration. They sold Rooney and Ronaldo. Satisfying to see it, but I never enjoy games that I alter like that.

I always try to loan out my best youngsters to Sheffield Wednesday and reject any appraches from teams I font like, if that counts but I never go out of my way to screw up a rival.

Alright, I'm not proud of this (well, maybe a little icon_wink.gif ) but I did once need to beat Liverpool on the last day of the season to avoid relegation so created a new manager, took over the team, put them all in the attacking half with the keeper on the halfway line and won 16-0! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by SteveDM:

Alright, I'm not proud of this (well, maybe a little icon_wink.gif ) but I did once need to beat Liverpool on the last day of the season to avoid relegation so created a new manager, took over the team, put them all in the attacking half with the keeper on the halfway line and won 16-0! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ahha Now that is proper match fixing!

I've never lost games on purpose but even when I am not Arsenal I will not allow any of my players to go to Sp*rs. Never.

Originally posted by Pauljs:

anyone think it could be a feature that your offered bribes to fix games? maybe even bribe yourself

That would only work in Italy. So it could be a league specific feature.

Originally posted by Skunner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pauljs:

anyone think it could be a feature that your offered bribes to fix games? maybe even bribe yourself

That would only work in Italy. So it could be a league specific feature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how sad...be more specific, it would only work for moggi, so it could be for an individual specific feature. Dont forget Milan proved you haters wrong by winning the champions league under severe scrutiny.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried again this season, and lived to regret it.

Won the league with 2 games to spare, so I was resting players ahead of the CL final.

On the final day, Man U and Chelsea were equal on points in 2nd and 3rd, Villa 3points behind with a 5 worse goal diff than Man U.

My last game was away at Villa.

I put all my most average under-18s out, playing out of position (stiker in goal etc), used a standard 442 formation with no tweaks and gave no team talks at all.

Lost 19-0 and every player had a full time rating of 1.

Sadly Man U didn't lose their game, so they still finished second!

I was managing England on FM2005/2006 and had already qualified for the next round of the European Championships so decided to rest my entire team in my final group game against Italy, hoping to finish 2nd because I would then play Scotland.

My "reserves" subsequently won, eclipsing the 2 previous performances by the so-called first choice players. We played Russia and lost thanks to an Akinfeev wonder display. icon_frown.gif

kvbrock, fair point, but the Calciopoli verdict stated that there was no proof Moggi fixed any matches. There's also strong evidence he was set up.

It depends for me. In an online game against my friend, I had a rare poor season and going into the last game of the season I had consolidated 5th place. My friend on the other hand was one point behind the league leaders and was playing a team that had already been relegated. I was playing the league leaders (Chelsea). In the build up to the game my friend phoned me and asked me if I was going to put my strongest side out, to which I told him no I was going to put out a half decent side but wanted to give a few promising youngsters a run out. He went mad and accused me of cheating and we ended up arguing for about 10 mins. That left me a little ticked off to say the least, and so I played my strongest players!!! Yep I played them all out of position, i.e star striker in goal, keeper up front, centre half on the wing etc.

I lost 5-2, and Chelsea won the league costing my mate his first championship in 4 seasons and he didn't speak to me for about a week after either.

Archived