What I think can be done to make Football Manager more realistic

Overall the game is very impressive at the moment but I think there is one way in which it could be easily improoved. it seems to me that the ability a player will get to is pre-determined in the same way every time you play the game. For example Marquinios(Sp) always becomes and unbelievable player worth 57 million that even Hull City can buy early on in the game.

I think what happens in the game shoul have more effect on the players performance and ability. For example if you look in real life Anelka and Owen both ruined there careers by moving away from Arsenal and Liverpool. Or someone like Henry on the other hand was moulded from a unconvincing winger into a world class striker.

I think you should be able to have more effect on moulding individual players and also on moulding team performance. My dream Football manager will be when you can scout a player in the republic of Ireland division (for example) and through persitance and trial and error sometimes develop them into a solid premiership player or maybe even better (obviously to keep the realism this woul be a fairly rare occasion and would still rely on scouting ability) basically my overall point is that I think there needs to be more of the unexpected. Sometimes big players flop (Shevchenko) and sometimes average players become stars (Stephen Ireland) in football manager this doesnt happen enough.

Sorry for droning on

This does happen in FM sometimes. I brought a player with awful stats (no 10 in anything in technical stats) for free who I saw potential in and devolped him into a good championship striker and a Northern Ireland U21 player. Now even at the age of 20 he only has 13s in Finishing, Technique and First touch but he outperforms his stats and has a value of 600k :thup:

Cool that sounds excellent, but it is still only one case and i imagine you have played football manager quite a lot. i think it is a problem that can be thought about and maybe developed

It doesn't happen often so it could be developed a bit in FM10. If you want this to happen though you just need to believe in the player, however bad he is if you keep playing him he'll get better and beyond that he can become a lot better player than his potential suggests!

the point about marquinhos i dont think is valid. the fm team feel that he will probely become a star player in the future. but at this present time he isnt good enough to grab the attention of a big four team or a major team in europe. so obvioulsy his potential is amazing that only happens in the future so its obvious smaller teams might take a gamble. of course they have to predetermine his ability. maybe in fm10 after scouting him a bit more they will realise he isnt as good and reduce his stats. this happens all the time in fm and real life. and you can mould a player. there are tons of occasions where you can buy a youngster for nothing and end up selling him for a huge profit. it all depends on your dedication to scouting and eyeing a bargain. there are also tons of times i have seen flops. personally i have bought players for multi million pound deals and they have given me an average of 6.7 for multiple seasons which is hardly a great return. i thinkthe transfer system this year has been quite good. apart from the sometime reluctence of big 4 teams to buy new young players teams seem to buy what they need and good solid players

Why do you say the point is not valid. As sson as a young palyer is mentioned on these forums everyone goes and buys them and they always become a top class player in everyones game and makes it very easy to win. It is far too easy to buy class players and you only have to persist for a season or two evenwith a team like Hull City. i think you should be able to pluck a player out of the asian leagues or somewhere like that and with hard work over a number of seasons create a good player rather than just taking no risk at all and buying marquinios who always turns out good and you can get 57 million for in season 3.

Why do you say the point is not valid. As sson as a young palyer is mentioned on these forums everyone goes and buys them and they always become a top class player in everyones game and makes it very easy to win. It is far too easy to buy class players and you only have to persist for a season or two evenwith a team like Hull City. i think you should be able to pluck a player out of the asian leagues or somewhere like that and with hard work over a number of seasons create a good player rather than just taking no risk at all and buying marquinios who always turns out good and you can get 57 million for in season 3.

I fully agree with where you're coming from and I've touched on this in the past. I dont like the way potential ability is somewhat pre-determined....

For example, the chances of a Michael Kightly or Ian Wright being plucked from the conference or non-league on FM and then becoming a Premiership player are pretty low

its a very valid argument and one i fully agree with, for instane darren fletcher hasnt the highest ability around but he makes upfor it with his passion, commitment and hard work and despite his limited ability has become -through persistence- a valuable player to utd, or rooney, everyone could see his potential but would it have been realised if he had stayed at everton or gone to newcastle instead of utd? that is another thing that can be looked at. i can buy someone for peterborough united even though we only have average facilities i can make him world class, in real life this rarely happens, for a player to realise their potential they would normally have to go to a bigger with better coaching and facilities.

• SI Staff

I think Darren Fletcher, for example, has plenty of ability. I also think the example of Henry is slightly flawed as he won the world cup as an "unconvincing winger".

Perhaps its just that Wenger spotted his potential as a striker where others didnt, ditto in the case of Championship players who stepped up like Cahill and Lescott.

I do agree that the game should simulate players making "a bad move" though. It would be interesting to hear more in-game experiences regarding this :)

Couldn't a simple move be to give more players a negative PA (-10, -7 etc) in stead of fixed numbers and let that negative PA fluctuate more?

I don't know how the game works in setting fixed PA's from negative ones, but if you would double the number you might get more changes in who becomes a top player and who not...

how is thierry Henry a bad example by the way. There is no way you can claim that he was important to Frances worl cup win in 1998. I think you may have got it mixed up with euro 2000. In 1998 i seem to remember there was a certain Mr. Zidane at the heart of the French team. Also why woul juventus sell him to Arsenal (a smaller club) if they had any sort of suspicion he would become world class

• SI Staff

I think if you win a World Cup at the age Henry was then you clearly are a player of potential!

I dont dispute Juve missed a trick in selling him.

I bought Sebastian Rusculleda, an argentinian winger, from his argentinian club with Empoli. He ended up being the player of the season in Serie B and also got Italian citizenship before he was selected to play for Italy and has featured for them regularly at LM, and he has overtaken the likes of Paloschi, Pozzi and Moro to become my best player.

Archived