Captain Influencing squad personalities

Can't seem to find this elsewhere, so i will ask here.

I was wondering what influence a captain has on the rest of his squad, can he change mental attributes toward his. For instance if he has high determination or professionalism, is it likely for other players to show increases in their determination or professionalism.

Would it be dependant on his level of influence?

Could the opposite be true if you appointed a captain with high inflence but low mental stats.

Also if you have other players with high influence in your squad, do they affect other players?

Also if you have other players with high influence in your squad, do they affect other players?

TigerJoe is right. Regarding this last point, I'm not certain but I have read in a post that a defender with high influence will be better able to organise an offside trap.

I would welcome further insights into the benefits or otherwise of your captain selection.

For instance, if the captain has a high 'dirtiness' attribute, or low 'sportsmanship', will it influence other players to foul or dive more?

Interesting question. Yah it'd be interesting to see if youngsters look up to someone like Joey Barton (if he was named your captain), and try to be more like him and hence adopt some issues lol. Keep in mind, we're NOT talking about 'tutoring'. Just affects of Captain on the rest of squad.

from what i read i think influence and determination is just a matchday factor. the higher they are the more likely your captain is to inspire a comeback. and i dont think having high levels of dirtiness will influence your team. that will be down to their individual make up and probley your tackling settings.

Ashley, I disagree. Back in FM'05, I picked a captain by highest Influence, and I swear I thought the game was broken because it seemed like every player on my squad argued with the referee every game .. we got boatloads of yellows and more sendings-off than I'd ever had in any previous version of the game. Warnings, fines, and frustrated selling-off of offenders didn't seem to be helping, either.

I came on-forum to complain about how it was obviously broken and how could SI possibly have released the game in this shape ;) ... and I think the first or second responder in my thread asked "Have you considered that it may be your captain?"

For one, he had a very low Composure. Some people insist that's not relevant in arguing situations, but I suspect it was. I also wonder if he had "Argues With Officials" as a PPM.

I changed captains .. picking one with less Influence but a very high Composure .. and lo and behold, my squad-wide arguing problem went away like magic.

Nowadays, I don't pick the highest Influence player on my squad as captain, I think about what I want the captain to influence my squad to do. Basically, that means I pick a captain with a Professional personality and high:

- Bravery

- Composure

- Determination

- Team Work

- Work Rate

and halfway decent Influence at best - he'll grow Influence just by being in the captain's role. If I expect to have a lot of come-from-behind matches, Determination might be my key attribute .. if I'm having trouble getting the team to gel, Team Work might be my key attribute .. if we aren't putting the effort in, Work Rate might be key. Regardless, a super-low score in any of those disqualifies a guy from being captain.

Sometimes my choice doesn't match the recommendations, but I've never had the squad get upset with me for it .. even if they individual I overlooked is certain he'd be a better captain than my choice. :D

Amaroq , those are interesting points for picking captains and most i have never even considered.

I don't always pick the highest influence, i pick a captain with high determination or professionalism, generally one with a positive personality - resolute, spirited, determined, professional etc.

Picking a captain is probably one of the toughest things on the game, for me. I went with a defender with high influence, a fairly professional mentality, high(ish) determination and good teamwork and work-rate attributes...and he was awful. He wasn't young, either, at 27.

As for them affecting other players' mentality...why should they? Even the kids coming through will have their own personalities. Some might look up to a more experienced player, but if, say, Joey Barton was captain and got up to some some of what he does, it's as likely that even a young player might think he's a bit of a berk and not want to know.

Archived