The CSE Magazine/Fanzine discussion thread

Hello

Many of you will have received PM's from me recently about this, if you haven't: apologies then the PM system must have not been working, or sorry you either aren't part of the CSE Social Group (which was where I looked for fairly regular people) or I didn't consider you as massive poster on the boards (again apologies if I missed you out). So yes, after discussion with dafuge this thread has been made. However I can' stress enough that this thread is only for general discussion of the magazine/fanzine, and not for anything you fancy. This is what was in the PM I sent people, just to give you all an idea (for those that didn't see it) -

Hello. As you may or may not know, last year around July I posted something in the CSE Group about a potential ‘Cyber CSE Monthly Magazine’ which would consist of a few pages worth of stuff a month that would be available for free download for anyone within the community. It would be not too different to the ‘The Bootroom’ again I’m not sure if you’ve seen or heard of that, it’s worth searching on the forums for though if you fancy a read of it. Basically all this PM is about is:

• ·Would you ever consider contributing anything towards the Magazine?(this can be anything from one of the editor duties, designer, spelling and grammar checker, to having a regular monthly column where you could write an article about whatever you fancy, or even just writing an article every now and then.)

• ·What would you like to see in the magazine?

• ·Would you want/mind having some of your created content from your threads on the forum in the magazine? (Obviously credit would be given to you.)

If there are any questions you have please reply back to me and I will try to answer them as quickly and concisely as possible. If I receive enough interest from this, then I will start a thread in the Social Group in the upcoming days.

Thanks and regards,

Paul.

I think this thread is mainly going to be used during this process where we're initially discussing who's doing what, what we're doing, rather than posting of the actual content which I think will be done privately just so that the community hasn't read all of the articles before they're actually published. One fairly frequently asked question during my PM's was 'when will it be ready'. I'm hoping that we can push for a first release by early July, we're not going to get it ready by June, and I think that publish should be done on perhaps the first Sunday of each month although obviously that has not been decided yet.

So what I'm going to post in here, is A - the list of interested people so far and the mock up of what everyone has said they want to/can do, and B - a list of things that need to be discussed (in no particular order) I would welcome any additional things that you think could go on this list. If you're not on the list of interested people and would like to get involved could you PM ME instead of posting in here, just to keep it cleaner and more organized. General suggestions should be posted in here, E.G - Hi Paul, great idea, what about advertising FM Wiki, or writing an article about this/that/and the other or - I don't think we should do this/I think this would be a good name etc. But not for example this - Hey mate, would love to join this looks great I'll write an article about absolutely anything!!!. By that I don't mean I don't want people to volunteer, nor to sound like they want to take part, but specifically saying 'Ill write about/do anything' doesn't help me, or you, it will just involve me having to PM you again, and then when I ask you to proof read something and you say 'Proof reading wasn't really what I had in mind' then it's going to delay things.

Obviously I've 'come up' with this idea, and will probably be the one spending the most amount of time on it, but I absolutely do not want people to think that it is 'PaulHartman71, The Magazine' and that I'm in charge of everything etc. I will probably act as editor and the 'grouper together' of everything, but I have other things to do like my sign up, and obviously my personal life as well so I need the help of the community or else this project just simply wont take off as much as I/and the people involved would like.

The list of people -

Contribute a bit now and then:

• hamilton162
  • Crouchaldinho!
  • rancer290
  • stig
  • Roberto
  • LLR
  • Blowcrapup
  • minisav
  • JSalter
  • dafuge
  • Greasy Chip Butty
  • Denther

Monthly Collumn/Would like to post articles

• PaulH
  • Weeeman
  • Robert 296
  • Wegason
  • PluckaDuck
  • DodgeeD
  • m1234456789 *
  • pnefc22

Undecided

• Super Lampard
  • SCIAG

I might do a bit of proof-reading now and again, and perhaps an article on the occasion as well

• Blanco
  • AdzH
  • jack.browne
  • minisav
  • Almondo
  • DanGLiverpool
  • tomsmith1989
  • Lardman CDB
  • canvey!!

If anybody wants me to take them off the list, put them on the list, wants me to change them to something else, wants me to create a new category to put them in then just ask me, preferably by PM. Any other questions of course, just ask.

List of things needed to be discussed/ideas -

• Name of the Magazine - The CSE Monthly, The CSE Informer, The CSE Herald, The CSE Tribune, The CSE Chronicle, The CSE'er, The CSE Times, The Essential CSE, The CSE Essential, The ESCape, The CSE Monthly Chronicle, The CSEeason, CSE: You See, CSExtreme, The CSE Extra, The CSE Planet (will put names here as people suggest them)
  • Design of the Magazine
  • Roles for each person
  • Discussion about what it’s going to be about (whether it’s about CSE, just people from CSE discussing stuff, or both)
  • General feedback ideas
  • Content in the magazine
  • Interactive stuff, E.G – captain contests, spot the ball etc
  • ‘Borrowing’ stuff like guides other content, from good CSE threads and information pack threads
  • Advertisements (OTF Radio, FMWiki) As well as for CSE's
  • People talking about their save games
  • Humor on last page
  • Different culture article (England, Wales, Scotland, Turkey, Canada, America, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Bermuda) fwiw this isn't based on people saying they want to write these kind of articles, but a mere list of the different people based in different Countries in CSE that I could think of off the top of my head
  • User/New CSE/CSE of the Month awards
  • Save games discussion
  • Match Stats prediction contest
  • Monthly User, 'This is your life' sort of thing
  • Monthly Birthday celebrations
  • BOTU Top Trump style
  • Expert/experienced User's tips at various things
  • Film/TV/Games reviews
  • GOTM stuff from DD
  • Agony Aunt (Uncle Daf maybe :D)
  • Lonely Hearts column on either back page humor or separate page
  • Idiots guide to small to big club challenges
  • Blast from the past

Anything anyone wants added to this, feel free to ask.

Thank you for reading and I hope you participate in this project, whether that be by helping out, or simply reading the final products,

Paul.

* - I don't know whether to expect any controversy regarding this but as I said to him in a PM - I think that due to the fact the first issue wont be published for a month or so, then this wont really be an issue because if you lose interest and don't finish anything off, then it's fine because it wont be published, and if you do produce some good stuff then this could 'improve' your reputation.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds great Paul, i'd definitely have a good read.

Reading the list at the bottom of the post, i'd be interested in reading about other peoples save games.

Maybe a small advert in there for one of the challenges?

A different one for each month for example..

Good to see this up :thup:

In the list of things to do, under the interactive stuff, you've but captain competitions etc..., but I assume you mean caption competitions? I think stuff like that would be really good. Have the best three published in the following months magazine. I alsothink the monthly awards thing would be good. It'd be good to give recognition to those that have excelled over the last month.

This sounds great Paul, i'd definitely have a good read.

Reading the list at the bottom of the post, i'd be interested in reading about other peoples save games.

Maybe a small advert in there for one of the challenges?

A different one for each month for example..

I think Weeeman and myself discussed the 'Save game' thing last night, and I definitely think it could be interesting for a few articles about that, or even a 'Save game Special' where we get lots of people to discuss their current save games. Good idea with the advertising for CSE's (even though you only said Challenges) as well, an obvious one which I forgot.

In the list of things to do, under the interactive stuff, you've but captain competitions etc..., but I assume you mean caption competitions? I think stuff like that would be really good. Have the best three published in the following months magazine. I alsothink the monthly awards thing would be good. It'd be good to give recognition to those that have excelled over the last month.

I did mean Caption, thanks for that :thup:

To everyone else that has offered support etc: Thank you, I'm sure with all of your help/support this project will be a great success!

In terms of interactive stuff, how about a Guess the Score? competition from the print-screen of the match stats page?

Interesting concept, will put it down on the list :thup:

Oh, and I think we should profile a well known user each magazine, like go back over their history, get some quotes from people etc.

Yes I definitely think that that is a good idea :thup:

EDIT: Just had a brainwave that perhaps this idea and the 'CSE User of the Month' award together could be a good combination. So we talk about what the User has done well that month, and then talk about their history etc.

EDIT: Just had a brainwave that perhaps this idea and the 'CSE User of the Month' award together could be a good combination. So we talk about what the User has done well that month, and then talk about their history etc.

Good call.

Still think we should have the history idea though as a separate thing.

Good call.

Still think we should have the history idea though as a separate thing.

of course, I think a lot of people have different views on things, and that's why I needed to set this thread up so we can have decent discussions about the content and then we can (hopefully) all agree on everything :D

Yeah that is a very good idea. I think the two would definitely work well together.

As for names i've always liked 'Herald', 'Tribune' and 'Chronicle' (So it could possibly be 'The CSE Herald', 'The CSE Tribune' or 'The CSE Chronicle'.). I'd probably say 'The CSE Tribune' sounds best.

EDIT: Is it going to be 'The CSE (Something)'? I can't really think of any other way to put it.

Good to see this up and running :thup:

I have had a couple of basic ideas since the PM -

A list of CSE'ers birthdays that month

A "battle of the users" type thing where two users would go head to head with Top Trumps style battles, eg input to forum - 50%

Tips from the experts, where forum regulars could take people through different approaches to CSE's

And also a possible magazine name could be something simple like "The CSE'er"

Guest roberto922

I suggested User of the month I think :)

Great ideas.

My opinion on the title is The CSE of the World ;) Nah just kidding, The CSE Times?

Good to see this up and running :thup:

I have had a couple of basic ideas since the PM -

A "battle of the users" type thing where two users would go head to head with Top Trumps style battles, eg input to forum - 50%

Tips from the experts, where forum regulars could take people through different approaches to CSE's

And also a possible magazine name could be something simple like "The CSE'er"

love the Birthday thing, really original idea. BOTU Top Trump sounds good and would probably make for good light heart banter. Tips from the experts/experienced User's is also a very good idea, the name will be added to the list at the top of the page :thup:

I like that idea. :thup:

That too is a good idea. Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean things like tips from users who have run successful sign-ups on how they did so?

To add to that it might be an idea to hear from someone who has completed one of the challenges to talk us through it, and go through there strategies, and how they tackled the challenge. I suppose that could tie in with the save game idea.

Another thought is to have monthly guides for things such as how to layout a sign-up (opening posts, or the actual updates) or how to go about setting up your own challenge, sign-up or experiment. Sort of a mini guide per month, which could be then put together over time to produce quite a substantial guide to all things CSE.

Hey great to see this going.

Potential name: The Essential CSE

As for regular content how about things like game/film/book reviews from the previous month, information on upcoming releases or you could get a few members to pull a random Dvd/CD off their shelves and give a recommendation for it.

You still can't spell my name right, Paul. Not sure how you PM'ed me. :p

And maybe include some general info and unique facts about one specific league in the magazine?

good idea, although I don't know who we could call upon to give us details/fact and enthusiastic articles about the MLS :D

Guest roberto922

Design of the Magazine: Heres my magazine cover from before, I can revamp it if you want to use it http://files.filefront.com/Possible+CSE+Magazine+Covrzip/;13728499;/fileinfo.html

Discussion about what it’s going to be about (whether it’s about CSE, just people from CSE discussing stuff, or both)

I think the main focus should be on the community, with a couple of pages for the best CSEs of the month etc.

Humor on last page Sounds good, I'll commit murder if a Swine Flu joke ends up on there though :D

Different culture article (England, Wales, Scotland, Turkey, Canada, America, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Bermuda)

Once again good idea

User/New CSE/CSE of the Month awards

Definitely, maybe have a committee (sounds official ;-)) that talks on MSN about worthy CSEs and users?

Save games discussion

again, sounds good

Match Stats prediction contest

Not quite sure what you mean?

Monthly User, 'This is your life' sort of thing

Great idea

Design of the Magazine: Heres my magazine cover from before, I can revamp it if you want to use it http://files.filefront.com/Possible+CSE+Magazine+Covrzip/;13728499;/fileinfo.html

-

have looked at it, think at the least it's a good 'template'. Although I am currently considering doing everything in Word, as a few 'Cyber Magazines' I've seen do this and generally it's quite good quality and easy to read/download.

User/New CSE/CSE of the Month awards

Definitely, maybe have a committee (sounds official ;-)) that talks on MSN about worthy CSEs and users?

-

Yes. I think that a 'committee' or panel or whatever you want to call it would be a better alternative to just one person picking.

Match Stats prediction contest -

Not quite sure what you mean?

-

have a look at GazTheDoood's post, I think what he meant was to show a SS of a match screen from a match in the game, and get people to predict scores with a random winner being announced next issue?

I like the layout roberto but it does bring one question can we use the SI logo or do we need permission?

that's very good and important question, imo since we're not selling it and it's just a free download which endorses one of the sub-forums we shouldn't face much of an issue, but I'm sure we can get someone to create a 'CSE logo' or a logo for the magazine if worse comes to worse.

To add to that it might be an idea to hear from someone who has completed one of the challenges to talk us through it, and go through there strategies, and how they tackled the challenge. I suppose that could tie in with the save game idea.

I'd quite like to do something like that, I may not be the fastest around at completing the challenges but I think I have a few strategies I could share that other people could follow.

good idea, although I don't know who we could call upon to give us details/fact and enthusiastic articles about the MLS :D

MLS and the Asian leagues. :D

Promoting my own challenges. ;)

For humour, I'm thinking of a funny photo contest where forumers can send in their captions to match the photo, and the funniest captions are listed in the next magazine.

That too is a good idea. Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean things like tips from users who have run successful sign-ups on how they did so?

Yeah basically, something like when to produce updates, how to keep people interested, secrets they have learnt from doing them, just a small selection of tips that would help new users produce their own CSE's

I really like this idea :thup:

Guest roberto922

I could do the Magazine cover if you want? Could be my monthly contribution, I'm better at it than I used to be (not hard :D)

I get what you mean about the match stats now, sounds good to me

Guest roberto922
m1234566789 can have a whole page of threads he has started and failed with

Lets keep arguments and sly digs out of this please

I mentioned this in my PM to Paul but we could perhaps feature the Goal of the Month with the most recent winner in each issue and an overall 'goal of the season' type thing.

Another idea I had (was thinking about this as a possible Community Enrichment but it would work here too) was 'spot the ball' - take an in-match screenshot and edit out the ball (could be 3D or 2D) with the winner announced in the next edition.

I like the idea of non-FM/football related content too :thup:

a summary of the main experiments would be a good idea

because i hate when you see a good experiment that you want to follow but its a few pages in

if theres a quick summary then you can catch up that way

that's very good and important question, imo since we're not selling it and it's just a free download which endorses one of the sub-forums we shouldn't face much of an issue, but I'm sure we can get someone to create a 'CSE logo' or a logo for the magazine if worse comes to worse.

I can't see why they wouldn't let us use it because as you say the magazine won't be sold but its better to mention it that have SI order us to stop the magazine completely.

Lets keep arguments and sly digs out of this please

I'm sure that was a tongue in cheek comment but like you've suggested, this sort of thing should only be used to highlight positive aspects of the forum, not negative.

The less attention that is brought to people's past mistakes the better

Originally Posted by tomsmith1989 viewpost.gif

I'd quite like to do something like that, I may not be the fastest around at completing the challenges but I think I have a few strategies I could share that other people could follow.

That sounds like a good idea, be interesting to read how different people approach different games.

Edit: Quotes a bit messed up, but it gets my point across.

I could do the Magazine cover if you want? Could be my monthly contribution, I'm better at it than I used to be (not hard :D)

If you wanted to do that then I wouldn't have any objections. Could have a few people design one and then everyone sort of votes on the best one, just to get some variety and different creations if other people wanted to do design a cover as well.

The ESCape :cool: I'm not too sure how the BOTU top trumps thing would work and it could end up being mean towards other people.

truly awful name, but have added it anyway, will probably get a token vote from yourself :D. Think the BOTU top trumps would just be a bit of fun anyway, so as long as there isn't anything that would really offend people I don't think it's a massive issue.

BrainWave!!!

An "Agony Aunt/Uncle" section where users write in and ask for help solving their game related problems. You have 2 or 3 really experienced players pick and answer them. Ok, its more of a Help and Guidance section but you get the idea...

Guest roberto922

Sure :thup: I've figured out how to copy publisher files over to word so I'll get to work now

If you wanted to do that then I wouldn't have any objections. Could have a few people design one and then everyone sort of votes on the best one, just to get some variety and different creations if other people wanted to do design a cover as well.

I have no skill in designing things so I'll just vote on it.

I like the Agony Aunt idea. We could also have a riddle/brainerteaser with the winner be selected at random and then picking the next one.

Think the BOTU top trumps would just be a bit of fun anyway, so as long as there isn't anything that would really offend people I don't think it's a massive issue.

As Paul says i think it would only be a bit of banter and i doubt anyone would be offended, the idea was just to create a bit of humour and fun that could be added at the back

truly awful name, but have added it anyway, will probably get a token vote from yourself :D. Think the BOTU top trumps would just be a bit of fun anyway, so as long as there isn't anything that would really offend people I don't think it's a massive issue.

hmmm missed a ;) there :D Just thinking outside the box ;)

Archived