OP Low league friendlies

Hi people,

Atm im playing with Vauxhall Motors in the Blue Square North. Ive got a decent team that i hope to get promoted with. The only problem is that the only way i can make money is arranging friendlies with league 1-championship clubs at my stadium before the season. It seems this is a great way of making money. The only thing is that i dont think such clubs would accept friendly tournaments in real life. So for an honest :eek: person like me it almost feels like cheating. I was wondering if anyone knew how realistic this actually is

Thanks,

Vince

Quite a few premiership/championship teams play pre-season friendlies with lower league teams.

That's very true. Take a look at Sheffield FC for an example. Playing in the Northern Premier League Division 1 South they have played teams in preseason friendlies in the last few years including:

League Clubs: Barnsley, Rotherham, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Chesterfield, Doncaster, Blackburn Rovers, Hartlepool, Manchester United.

Conference Clubs: Tamworth, York City,

International Clubs: NEWI Cefn Druids, Chengdu Blades, Rangers FC, Inter Milan, AJAX.

Now as this is real life, I don't think it's cheating :D. So no, I believe if they agree to tournaments then you aren't cheating at all.

Arrange them with the ones local to you. That's quite realistic. Reading play Didcot, Maidenhead, Basingstoke and co. every year, for example.

Yeah, that's definitely the way forward. When I'm not a behemoth club, I usually try to organise local friendlies. When I'm Gillingham manager, I usually play a Kent Challenge Cup tournament each year where I play a selection from Dover, Margate, Maidstone, Tonbridge Angels, Ashford, etc. I find that playing local sides is relatively realistic.

Archived