Scores high, but achieves nothing

I have a winger, who the board rate an excellent signing. He regularly scores 7s. I have watched two full games and all he does is run down blind allys and loses the ball. Hes not even quick enough to latch on to long balls/through balls, thereby "winning" throw ins as defenders clear. I am not sure how he is scoring high marks?

Do you pick him, or drop him?

Regardless of what you see, the game is run based on certain calculations. Having a player score 7s is good for your team as a whole, removing him for a player that scores 6s will bring down your team performance as a whole in the calculations as to who the better team is on the day.

I'm not sure what I've said makes sense, but hopefully someone understands what I'm getting at.

Have a forward that went a calendar year without scoring. He was actually a regular in the first half in a team that had a late season surge to win a League and CL double and as I run a '2 players for a position' meritocracy he had to get frequent high 6's (and sometimes 7) to do it. Couldn't keep it up the next season and didn't play much. Eventually scored again in March and made up for lost time with 11 goals in all competitions (with only a few cup games). Actually unlucky as a few times he had goals disallowed. Sadly the 'minutes since last goal' stat resets in the close season so i can't tell how long it went on for. Yes there are other ways to make an impact (like assists) but though I can't really remember what that was like I don't think there was too much of that from him which just leaves 'being heskey' which i suppose would be enough which probably devalues the anecdote but not what you'd expect especially from an inital run of good marks for a regular forward. And as one who finds watching in visual too slow and uses commentary and stats only I always use those so keep him but keep a close eye out for any drop that would give you a clear reason to replace him.

No need for player naming. ;)

He's scoring high because he's being credited with "Dribbles" for all those times he runs with the ball, defenders catch him, and he has to dribble around them.

Personally, I find that my wings are key to my side, so if he's not getting the business done in your opinion, I'd sell and replace him.

You ought to be able to stir up plenty of interest in him based on his high average match rating, so you should command a decent fee for him, and you can pick up a replacement who can garner similar ratings whilst actually contributing to your attack.

If FM rated real life matches, people like Nani would always score highly - run down blind alleys, lose the ball, but beat a few defenders along the way.

Always be sceptical of ratings that don't match up with the stats and with the performance you see - I would have sold some really good AMs if I'd done this. Speaking of which - has that bug been fixed I'm playing a new game on 9.3 but my formation doesn't have any AMCs

Archived