Whats the worst that could happen?..

I figured I'd start a little thread up focusing on the good ole' Dr Pepper Syndrome. You know the type, it's 80th minute and you're dominating a match 3-0 so bring on a youngster for a tiring first teamer... then all goes to hell and you lose.

I've had a few moments in my two seasons in the Prem. I'm Man City and had an awful first season in the UEFA Cup, i needed a win to make it through the group stage, a Draw would be ok if another team lost. I was leading 1-0 but Kompany's condition was really low and he'd been playing through an injury as it was, then got a knock on top of it... so he came off and Ledley King came on. All seemed fine until the 87th minute when King heads it into MY NET! He had loads of space to clear it or even take his time and pass it, but randomly blasted it past my keeper!?! 1-1 but luckily the other game was 0-0 still so I'd go through. 92nd minute and it's a penalty after King missed an easy interception and Bellamy clattered their striker... 2-1! I'm out finishing 4th in my group and King got a lovely 4.1 rating.

So who else has a horror story?

Not from a particular match. But early in my game got an excellent young regen forward. However his debut season wasn't that great. Making the low 6's was an achievement but as he was considered to be so good I persisted keeping him on the bench to put on when one of the others underperformed (which as I've always had a problem with forward consistency, even now we're a top side, was very often), but almost every time I thought 'X is barely above 6.0 so surely he can do better' I was proved wrong with mid (or even sometimes low) 5's. OK not quite what you had in mind but as its a similar sort of reasoning (even if its a different situation) I hope it counts.

other way round with me haha i scored in the 88th 89th and 90th minute away from home in my 1st game in the prmeier league after promotion with sheffield wednesday...i was so happy it was untrue..got relegated though finishing a respectable....20th

Same, though with an entire season. I have a 2 players per position policy but also have a youth development plan (any promising academy player and 1 'youth signing' a season). When a 'youth' player reaches decent prem level I try and play them regularly to help development... anyway finally an academy player made the grade (a few others having fallen by the wayside), a defensive mid. He was technically the '3rd man' in the position, the others being a Portuguese wonderkid (sort of the DM Ronaldo, a former 'youth signing himself) and a dependable Serb who would be a legend if it wan't for the other guy. I decided to throw in the younger players at the start of the season so they'd have a stint of experience no matter what happened the rest of the season. That included the DM who'd prevously played only the last couple of games of the previous season as CB. Anyway he did so well he stayed in the team the entire season, unheard of in my meritocracy when one poor rating would have seen him dropped. I did put the Portuguese in for a key CL semi and maybe the last couple of games I decided to give the others a chance but before that the only time he wasn't on the field was just before a CL shootout when I put on a CM who was one of my best takers instead. In the end his average rating was the 5th best in the league (just a few hundreths off top), sadly didn't get either POTY awards but amazing season anyway. he was even my 2nd top scorer for a lot of the season thanks to his free kicks (but also because of the inconsistent forward problem and the fact that my system meant there ended up being a revolving door up front).

Archived