Wow what a difference choosing the correct team talk

4 games to go and im fighting it out to win the league.in 5th place at the moment but its still close.

so i experiment a little in a derby game for Spurs against Arsenal.

first i let the ass man choose the team talk and he picked For The Fans.I lost 1-0

then i replayed and chose You Can Win This and lost 2-1

replayed again and chose Good Luck and i thumped them 4-1

all with the same tactics and same team.Crazy!!!

It will have had an effect, but so will the tiny differences in each match. I doubt it had such a drastic effect as changing a 1-0 to a 4-1. Players condition, injuries, stoppages, match ratings etc would be more important tbh.

A negative team talk can make even the best players play like children.

A positive one can make the worst players play like men possessed.

I'd agree with that.

Is "Good Luck" considered a good talk, and if so, when are the best times to use it?

What's the difference between "Pressure's Off" and "Good Luck"? Is "Pressure's Off" for times when you expect a real drubbing, and "Good Luck" when you expect defeat, but could snatch something?

You're welcome mate

Remember that all team talks are linked.

Saying pressure off and then telling your players that you're disappointed at half time will see heads go down and could have a bad effect on morale.

Use some logic with team talks and see how your team react to certain messages.

I was just down 0:2 against League 1 side Preston as newly promoted League 2 side Eastleigh FC. So it was 0:2 at halftime.. I tell my players, "We must get a result, no excuses," and my boys come out and fire 4 goals in by the 70th minute.

Team talks are a little unbalanced.

I was just down 0:2 against League 1 side Preston as newly promoted League 2 side Eastleigh FC. So it was 0:2 at halftime.. I tell my players, "We must get a result, no excuses," and my boys come out and fire 4 goals in by the 70th minute.

Team talks are a little unbalanced.

That could be due to players respecting you. Reputation plays a role in team talks.

The fear factor. ;)

The theory of team talks and their reaction on the players is good

In practice however, the respomse to chossing the wrong one ( remembering that the game decides which ones are available, not you ) is well out of balance and needs to be toned down.

Results shown be decided in the majority by players, tactics, substitutions etc

From my experience choosing a teamtalk every single time has a very negligible effect on the teams performance. It led to me getting quite sick of the whole system...

Then after reading some comments by Tylerbode I decided to try things differently. Instead of always choosing a teamtalk at pre/half/full time my default choice is to say nothing...

I know! Seems crazy right! Most times I start the match saying nothing, unless we are clear underdogs or against rivals. Then, if we are winning or drawing at half time I again say nothing. If we are losing I give them the 'Want to see more from you'.

Im only about 15 games into trying this out but my teams morale is as high as ever and 4 times we have come back from behind at half-time with the ass man and captain praising my teamtalk in the press after the match...

Individual team talks can be very effective too once you know what a particular player reacts to. I have an ST who loves the pressure of being told "I expect a performance" whereas other players wilt under the pressure.

Even if he's having a mare, a bollicking at half time and more often than not he'll score in the first few mins of the 2nd half.

Also, as fm_macuser says, sometimes no team talk works too. If in doubt at half time, you know those 2-0 leads where "Encourage or Don't get complacent or Pleased" results in a drubbing, say nothing. Maybe a couple of individual "have faiths".

Depends who you are. I am currently coming towards the end of my 4th season with Leeds in prem in 3rd place & i'm in the CL final.

With me now been a top club i always say i expect a win when playing at home. In my away games I always say to do it for the fans.

If i'm drawing at half time I will say to do it for the fans.

If i'm losing at half time I will say i expect to see more from you. On the odd occasion if i'm 2 or 3 down I will say I expect a win. Suprising how many times you get it back to 2-2/3-3 or even win the game.

Whilst I was in League 1 & the championship & got drawn against premiership clubs in the cup at home I would say to do it for the fans.

It is acknowledged now that no team talk can work in FM but how realistic is that?- I wonder in real life, how many times any Manager will not say something to the players both pre-match and at half time. The problem can be that we dont have control over the choices of talk to give and must choose from the list the game gives us.

Archived