Although the game still has supplemental drafts and reserves, abolished irl...

... and the 28 man rosters which makes playing a little weird now but when the game was released it was right.

Pretty much outside of the first round you're going to get garbage though. In all honesty, only the top 6-8 picks will ever be that great.

I don't agree with that. You can still get immediate help into the earlier part of the second round although they won't be stars. You can also draft players to trade ;)

EDIT: I wonder if the interest in MLS in FM09/WSM09 will pick up when the European leagues end soon.

In my San Jose game, I usually just trade away my later picks. I have never gotten anyone past the second round that ever was worthy of playing time.

The MLS players that you can trade for with a 3rd round or later pick are almost always better than the player you can draft with that pick, in my experience.

Exactly, that's why I trade the picks away. I try to collect 1st round picks if I can and trade away lower picks. Supplemental picks are useless.

I think the other teams value their 1st round picks too highly and I usually don't attempt to trade for them. A combination of 2nd round picks, a 2 year international slot, and/or allocation money is easier to get and more valuable.

Archived