Level On Points At End Of Season, Head To Head Rule?

Im just wondering if this is in the game, Becasue on the last day of the season if Preston had won 1-0 and Cardiff lost 1-0 they would have the exact same goal difference, goals scored and goals conceded.Cardiff lost 1-0 but Preston won 2-1 so they still were the same but Preston had scored 1 more goal.

But i also know if it did happen that if everything tied it would go on the head to head record which Cardiff won at home and Preston won at home so then with those also tied they were the going of goal difference in those 2 head to head games, And with Prestons 6-0 win over Cardiff helping them have the better goal difference taking them into the playoffs anyway.

But im wondering if 2 teams in the same situation have the extact same points, goals scored and goals conceded and on head to head say they drew 1-1 in both games, Is the rule in the game like in real life that the 2 teams would have to play a oneoff playoff game between each other to get into the playoffs, automatic promotion, relegation? I know there is not much chance of this happening in the game but thinking of trying a 2 player game and trying to make it happen. I had a look in the League Rules but it does not mention it.

I wonder if what might have happened between Cardiff and Preston in real life at the weekend, Had happened in Fm 09 would the game have been smart enough to put Preston through to the playoffs with their better goal difference in the head to head games, Or would the game have just put them in Alaphabtetic order i.e C ardiff before P reston?

Don't think head-to-head applies in England, if points, goal difference and goals scored is the same and the league position determines something (title, promotion, relagation or europe) an extra game has been played between the two sides in previous versions.

I recall them saying on Sky Sports News that it would go down to head to head (and preston would go into the playoffs because of the 6-0)

Yeah i heard Stelling say it on sky sports soccer saturday(well sunday) when Preston went 1-0 up against Qpr he was saying that if it did happen that Preston would go into the playoffs because of the head to heads which he said of course they have both won 1 but then it would go down to goal difference and Prestons sheer goal advantage against them would count.

Preston actually made it ahead of Cardiff on goal scored (66 vs 65). Their goal difference was identical (+12).

If Preston had only beaten Cardiff 5-0 (yeah, 'only'), Cardiff would have made the playoffs.

They would play each other again to determine their final league position if everything had been as you suggested in the OP. IIRC a few seasons ago, Newcastle and Blackburn had to match each others results on the last day for such a game to take place. It didn't happen of course, 'cos then everybody would know the rule!

In the same train of tought does the Italian rule than the league can not be won in goal difference applied to the game or if one and second tie in the serie A the game would go to the team with the best goal difference

Serie A 2004/05 saw Bolonga and Parma play a two-legged playoff game to decide who went down, after they and Fiorentina finished on the same amount of points - the head-to-head meetings between the three teams was used to work out who played the playoff. Though if you look at the table, the mid-table positions were all decided on goal difference.

The rules in England are like this:

Goal Difference

Goals Scored

Neutral Ground Replay

Extra Time

Penalties

Head-to-head is never used, and rightly so tbh, as its a league not a cup.

Those are cup rules, not league rules.

Yes, but in a league, the table should be decided over the course of a season, and not over two games. If they can't be decided by that, they should be required to play again rather than have 2 games, head-to-head is unacceptable because it has nothing to do with the entire season.

You may argue a replay isn't "over the entire season" either, and you'd be right, but over the entire season, they could not be seperated, so an extra game should be used. I'd probably use games won before a replay, but whatever, I don't make the rules.

In the Premiership, if they are level on points, goal difference and goals scored, then both teams finish on the same position unless a championship, relegation or European qualifying position is at stake - then a playoff at a neutral venue happens.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/tables/premiership.html

In the Championship, it's a bit different - apparently, it ranks on alphabetical order if teams are level on points, goal difference and goals scored. So Barnsley have an advantage over Watford, it seems.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/tables/cc_champ.html

According to FM on the League Rules, it goes:

Goal Difference

Then Results between the teams during the season i.e. if Preston beat Cardiff 4-1 and Cardiff beat Preston 2-0 then Preston would get the higher place

In the Premiership, if they are level on points, goal difference and goals scored, then both teams finish on the same position unless a championship, relegation or European qualifying position is at stake - then a playoff at a neutral venue happens.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/tables/premiership.html

In the Championship, it's a bit different - apparently, it ranks on alphabetical order if teams are level on points, goal difference and goals scored. So Barnsley have an advantage over Watford, it seems.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/tables/cc_champ.html

It's the same as the the Premiership a playoff game will be played, it's only alphabetical before the last day:

If two or more teams finish level on points, goal difference and goals scored at the end of the season and the championship, a promotion place, play-off place or relegation place is at stake they will then play off to decide who finishes higher.

If two or more teams are level before the end of the season on points, goal difference and goals scored, then alphabetical order will determine the team finishing higher.

According to FM on the League Rules, it goes:

Goal Difference

Then Results between the teams during the season i.e. if Preston beat Cardiff 4-1 and Cardiff beat Preston 2-0 then Preston would get the higher place

That can't be right, as I've seen the replay happen in game before today.

Archived