Idea - Retirement games

There does need to be more done about club favourites/legends last game for the club. Mention in the pre & post match interviews, a little news item and perhaps include some things like fan comments. Also something from players hailing the greatest team mates and mangers they've worked with etc.

Not sure if I agree with the top bit as it would be a lot of hassle to incorporate, starting small needs to be done first.

Glad someone asked what a retirement game is, why not just say testimonial, doesnt cause any confusion then. As for the idea I think it would be a nice touch, though it would be rare as you dont get many footballers who stay at a club for such a long period nowadays. Off the top of my head thinking of players who will get one, Giggs, Scholes, both Nevilles, Gerrard, Carragher, Ferdinand (if he retires with United), Henry, Terry, Lampard... theres a fair few thinking about it actually.

It's actually something I would quite like to see featured in the game when a player has been at a club for 10 years. Could be set up as an optional selection maybe through media interaction or news item, so the user can choose if they want to do it or not.

At the moment, I tend to "simulate" testimonial cups or tournaments at the end of a season (so I can name them - eg - The Bryan Riggs Testimonial Cup), before the player's retirement date is due. This is sufficient enough to keep me happy at the moment anyway. ;)

This would be a nice feature as I find it unrealistic atm when a long-serving player passes 33 years of age and starts moaning about lack of first team football and demands to leave the club. Having a situation where the player declares he is happy to see out his career with the club and then has an end of season/pre-season testimonial would be a nice touch. The testimonial doesn't even have to be a full game that you manage and watch - it could just be done as a news item or a match you could put your assistant in charge for, as with friendlies.

retirement games are not the same of testimonials, when big players retire they sometimes make games they make two teams conformed of their best footballing friends and they play half time with each team and if they are close with any managers they invite them to manage one of the teams so thats what I am saying if a world class player have you as a favorite personal they should invite you to manage their retirement game or farewell game if you like

Archived