Reputation Change - Too Easy?

After starting unemployed I was approached my Droylsden before the start of the season. Throughout the season my rep was "Unproven", and by the end of a very ordinary season (I finished 12th in the League, no sliverware), it hadn't changed.

This season however, my team are taking the league by storm. We also managed to reach the F.A Cup second round, knocking out BSP side Tamworth on the way, and we only narrowly lost to League Two side Exeter. When I checked my rep before that particular F.A Cup game, my rep had jumped to regional, and now I'm being touted as the bookies favourite for most BSP jobs, and even being considered for some League Two jobs!

I do however find this a bit strange, my CV is very unspectacular, I under achieved in my first season with Droylsden who really should have been pushing for a playoff spot. It seems weird that even though I haven't won anything yet, and there still a long time in the season to go, so my fantastic league run doesn't mean I'll end up promoted, that I've suddenly got a regional rep. People get jobs at Premier League sides with a national rep, so I'm astounded after no promotions and no cup wins I'm already one level below that.

Is it a bug, or have you all experienced this too?

Hmm...I haven't got far enough into my FM09 save yet but I know in FM08 it was completely the other way round, I won three promotions in five seasons all the way to the top flight, but "larger club" teams that were even in the division below where my team was didn't want to know! Maybe the over-compensated for FM09? But like I say I haven't really got that far into my game to notice anything either way yet...

is it possible that reputation is not just about what you have won but how much attention you have. You say you had reached the FA Cup second round and almost got into the third. That is pretty good going for a club so low and so may have got you noticed enough to be thought about.

People get big jobs all the time with no experience, promotions, cups etc (Roy Keane) and get these purly based on their name. A bit like Sony sells lots of things because of their name rather than being any good (example).

So could reputation in FM be exactly the same and particularly in lower leagues where what you have won may not be as important.

Football regularly has people who are hyped up after only one season of succses and then all too regularly turn out to be nowhere near the hype they receive. In other words you little run has made you flavour of the month but your rep won't continually increase at such a rapid level as people lose interest in you.

Archived