Why are my regens rubbish?

Playing the the EPL I recently had top training facilities, top youth facilites and an academy. Yet I'm at 2012 and all my regens have been garbage.

Also, looking at players around the world aged 14, 15 and 16, my scouts come back and say I should avoid the vast majority of the, Of those that they do recomend, none of them are tipped to be as good or better than my current first team players.

I've just had my youth facilites upgraded to "state of the art". WIll this make a big difference.

Having read these forums for a while now, FM09 gets lots of praise for excellent regens but I amd yet to see any. Am I missing something? Is it too early?

Buy them at other clubs. I never get good regens either, always buy them.

Which clubs!!??

I've went through clubs youth intake year on year and found nothing special. Even with clubs with great tradition for producing youngsters.

Fortunately I've got lucky at my club. Had a couple of absolute gems come through. Its just luck once you have state of the art facilities :)

Any relation to leagues loaded?

For instance, I have all the way down to BSN/S and most European leagues loaded down to the lowest level. IS it possible that because I have alot of poor leagues loaded, there are poor regens in order to fill the squads of smaller clubs?

Firstly, since you're in 2012, there should be a number of scouts on free contracts with 20/20 ratings for Judging Potential and Ability. Sign these up, don't rely on Scouts with lesser ratings. Get these scouts around Europe, League by League and filter the age to 'Under 18' when setting his assignment.

NewGen dates vary across Europe, have a look at this thread which gives the dates the Youth players are created by the game, League by League. Get your 20/20 Scouts on these nations as soon as the date comes around, so you can sign the players before they commit themselves to contracts with their host club.

'State Of The Art' facilities will help a lot, but even as Barcelona i've only had 2/3 world beaters come through in 6 seasons. Which fairly reflects real-life scenarios i believe.

Edit- I forgot to mention, the German Leagues are a haven for good newgens coming through since they're needed for the German National Team :)

Any relation to leagues loaded?

For instance, I have all the way down to BSN/S and most European leagues loaded down to the lowest level. IS it possible that because I have alot of poor leagues loaded, there are poor regens in order to fill the squads of smaller clubs?

There's no relation :)

I always have all the major European Leagues selected (28 at the moment incl low level leagues) and there's no correlation with Leagues Selected/NewGen Abilities.

I just send some scouts with 30 for judging potential and current ability to the youth competitions of other leagues and my own and then sign players who they say will become leading prem stars. This is how I found alot of my current Sunderland squad.

Firstly, since you're in 2012, there should be a number of scouts on free contracts with 20/20 ratings for Judging Potential and Ability. Sign these up, don't rely on Scouts with lesser ratings. Get these scouts around Europe, League by League and filter the age to 'Under 18' when setting his assignment.

NewGen dates vary across Europe, have a look at this thread which gives the dates the Youth players are created by the game, League by League. Get your 20/20 Scouts on these nations as soon as the date comes around, so you can sign the players before they commit themselves to contracts with their host club.

'State Of The Art' facilities will help a lot, but even as Barcelona i've only had 2/3 world beaters come through in 6 seasons. Which fairly reflects real-life scenarios i believe.

Edit- I forgot to mention, the German Leagues are a haven for good newgens coming through since they're needed for the German National Team :)

I have about half a dozen scouts with 20/20 and seriously - they haven't discovered one gem, even around the regen date for each country.

I have about half a dozen scouts with 20/20 and seriously - they haven't discovered one gem, even around the regen date for each country.

Perhaps because they're either scouting the wrong country, or they're not scouting under 18's.

Limit your scouts filter to 'At Most - 18' for the age filter and then see what he brings back from France, Germany, Italy and Spain. Those nations WILL produce a good amount of players with a PA of higher than 170 each year. Leagues like Holland, Portugal, Belgium rarely do.

Ok I'll give it a go. I'll ask fro 18 y/o at the most, in SPain Italy, Germany and France.

Just to be clear...

My scouts never come back with high reccomendations.

They do highlight players who would be good/decent PRemier League Players.

But NEVER, as good as or better than my current first team player.

I must confess that my current first team players are very good or world class. Haven't managed a league win yet but did win the Champions League last season.

Ok I'll give it a go. I'll ask fro 18 y/o at the most, in SPain Italy, Germany and France.

Just to be clear...

My scouts never come back with high reccomendations.

They do highlight players who would be good/decent PRemier League Players.

But NEVER, as good as or better than my current first team player.

I must confess that my current first team players are very good or world class. Haven't managed a league win yet but did win the Champions League last season.

My advice, pay little attention to the star ratings. Obviously use them as a guide, but don't settle for stars as the be-all and end-all of judging youth talent. Actually see what the scout says in the report text with regards to his Potential.

You'll often find things like "Isn't far from having the Potential to be better than * " but the Scout gives him 3 stars anyway. So the scout thinks * isn't far from Messi's ability, but gives him 3 stars anyway. In my eyes this youth player is a fantastic prospect if he's anywhere near Messi's ability. I've had this many many times. My current youth DC/DMC was only given 3 stars but when i checked out the report text, he wasn't far off Fazio's abilty, so i snapped him up instantly.

I currently have a player in my youth side, who i know has a PA of 195. Jesus is a 17yo Spanish AMC. My coach with 19/19 for Judging has given him 4 stars for Potential when i view his report. Now surely a PA of 195 is World-Class ? you can't get any higher. Why only a 4 star (good) rating? There's obviously more to the Scouts reports than simply looking at PA and awarding him stars based on that.

An example so you can see what i'm getting at:

My scout just came back from Portugal and found these guys

1zdorbd.jpg

All regen players in my game, some poor PA as you can see, with a difference of 20 points between the worst 15* and the best 17* and yet all have 3 stars. There's only a small difference of 6 points between the 4 star Barbosa at 183 and the 2nd best Carlos Rocha with 177.

6 points difference is minimal, yet is the difference between 3 and 4 stars.

Also some Spanish regens i found:

29w1qf5.jpg

Big differences as you can see, from 154 PA to 184 PA, Curiously, several players with 179 PA have 3 stars, whilst others have 4 stars....

Ok - maybe I am doing something wrong then because....

You have a Spannish guy there with PA 193 which I imagine is out of 200 ( I don't uses Genie Scout or RTE's).

Yet he is only a 3 or 4 star for PA. SUrely someone this high a PA would be 7 star.

Maybe I'm missing out on the good regens because I'm looking at stars and thinking 3 and 4 are sub standard.

Ok - maybe I am doing something wrong then because....

You have a Spannish guy there with PA 193 which I imagine is out of 200 ( I don't uses Genie Scout or RTE's).

Yet he is only a 3 or 4 star for PA. SUrely someone this high a PA would be 7 star.

Maybe I'm missing out on the good regens because I'm looking at stars and thinking 3 and 4 are sub standard.

You got it ;)

It's simply to early in his career to tag him as a future world-beater (7 stars) so you'll mostly see 4 star ratings for anyone who's over 175 PA.

It's hard to sort through the riff-raff and identify the 175+ PA players and the 150 PA players from your scouts 3 star ratings which is why it's important to always read the report text :)

Oh wow I never knew that!

*Stops releasing 4 star regens*

Remember this though!

What's a 4 star for you, might not be a 4 star for someone else.

My scouts at Barca might deem a player a 4 rating with a PA of 180. Yet if i was manager of Elche in the 2nd Division, that player would be a 5-6 star player. If i was further down the league, he'd be a 7 star player.

Going backwards, a 4 star player in the Spanish D2B leagues might only be 2 stars in the top Spanish league.

Ratings are in direct relation to your League and Club reputation :)

You got it ;)

It's simply to early in his career to tag him as a future world-beater (7 stars) so you'll mostly see 4 star ratings for anyone who's over 175 PA.

It's hard to sort through the riff-raff and identify the 175+ PA players and the 150 PA players from your scouts 3 star ratings which is why it's important to always read the report text :)

That's an intersting point. Quite annoying though since if I had a scouted player who was potentially as good as Messi, I would expect my scout to be screaming it at me, rather than give him 4 stars!

Will approach scouting with a different attitude now though - must take more care to analyze reports.

The guys at SI really need to tune down regen's PA for FM2010.

I actually think the opposite!

I posted 6 regens in the Perfect Regen thread with excellent attributes, but their PA's fell below 170, only 2 (195 and 193) were actually world-class. I've often found that the wonder-regens in my game have poor PA's and generally settle at mid-table sides.

I actually think the opposite!

I posted 6 regens in the Perfect Regen thread with excellent attributes, but their PA's fell below 170, only 2 (195 and 193) were actually world-class. I've often found that the wonder-regens in my game have poor PA's and generally settle at mid-table sides.

Look at the two pics that were posted in this thread, there are too many high PA regens, all from the same country.

And what you mentioned about good regens with low PA, that probably happens because they're either one footed or it's because regen's attributes are very badly distributed.

The guys at SI really need to tune down regen's PA for FM2010.
Look at the two pics that were posted in this thread, there are too many high PA regens, all from the same country.

And what you mentioned about good regens with low PA, that probably happens because they're either one footed or it's because regen's attributes are very badly distributed.

I do see your point, but all those players were not 'generated' in the same year :)

Thats just my Scout reporting on players under 18 playing in Portugal and Spain (some Italians in there), so those players could have been created across 3 seasons if they were created aged 15/16/17/18. They're all newgens since im in 2014.

I don't think any of their PA's are unrealistic though, only a handful of those will go onto greatness, the rest with PA's around 150-165 might see mid-table sides or might not even develop.

Archived