Is it realistic that certain tactics dont work in certain leagues?

I have a tactic that I have been using for 3 years now, and it is WILDLY successful in some leagues, and in other leagues it doesn't work at all. That doesn't seem fair -as I would love to manage in the EPL, there is just nothing I can do.

No matter WHAT tactic I run, I can't win in the EPL. However, the second I play a game outside of the EPL, my tactic magically works. How is that possible? It's across the board, if I start a season with a team that is playing in Europe, I will totally stink, and if I win it's sheerluck. The other team is putting up 20-30 shots per game (Chelsea put up 30 shots on me, beating me 7-1) (Even when I tried running a 5-4-1). However, you get me into Europe and I am winning 2-0 and the other team is putting up 7 shots (Valencia in this case).

I have tried moving the slider to total defense, and yet nothing.

How can a tactic be **** in the EPL, but work fine in Europe?

I've won Serie A, La Liga and the Bundesliga with this tactic. How can it be WORTHLESS in the EPL no matter WHAT team I choose?

It's perfectly realistic. Look at some managers, they are brilliant abroad but just can't get their normal tactics to work in new countries. Different countries have different styles of football, it's understandable that some tactics won't work in certain countries.

I have a tactic that I have been using for 3 years now, and it is WILDLY successful in some leagues, and in other leagues it doesn't work at all. That doesn't seem fair -as I would love to manage in the EPL, there is just nothing I can do.

No matter WHAT tactic I run, I can't win in the EPL. However, the second I play a game outside of the EPL, my tactic magically works. How is that possible? It's across the board, if I start a season with a team that is playing in Europe, I will totally stink, and if I win it's sheerluck. The other team is putting up 20-30 shots per game (Chelsea put up 30 shots on me, beating me 7-1) (Even when I tried running a 5-4-1). However, you get me into Europe and I am winning 2-0 and the other team is putting up 7 shots (Valencia in this case).

I have tried moving the slider to total defense, and yet nothing.

How can a tactic be **** in the EPL, but work fine in Europe?

I've won Serie A, La Liga and the Bundesliga with this tactic. How can it be WORTHLESS in the EPL no matter WHAT team I choose?

Because in different leagues tactics are different.

The formations are always 442 in England pretty much but abroad you will find lots of different formations. Another thing is the tempo. In a hot country like Spain they play a slow tempo to keep stamina but in England weather conditions is not much of a concern so a more direct approach is taken.

It's perfectly realistic. Look at some managers, they are brilliant abroad but just can't get their normal tactics to work in new countries. Different countries have different styles of football, it's understandable that some tactics won't work in certain countries.

Ala Luis Felipe Scolari!

Certain countries have certain styles of play. Italy is a very negative league where teams play possesion football and break you down using strategic football. If you went to Italy and started playing adventurous, open football, the defences are going to stand strong and you will not get through.

Another example is the Spanish league where the tempo is incredibly high and certain tactics will not work in that climate.

I had a nightmare trying to take my tried and tested tactic to the lower leagues in Brazil, it was based very much on wide play but they all played narrow formations with no wingers. It made my tactic look really weird in the matches.

I'm having a similar problem at the moment with Villa actually. 100% in Europe, 12th in the league in first season. I've signed Moutinho, Veloso and Guardado so I think it could be that these players maybe aren't accustomed to the English game? Although they have been performing well enough in the league... it must be my tactics but I don't really know what's wrong with them. Playing 4-3-3 with Veloso as a deep-lying playmaker with lots of creativity. Target man (Carew/Heskey) to head, focus passing down both flanks (Young/Guardado/Milner/Agbondlahor), I guess I'm just not the best tactially. Keep tweaking and hopefully we'll both find a winning formula, I suppose that's where the fun of the game is.

I'm using a tactic I created originally for Man Utd, that's now performing beyond all expectations with Granada CF in the Spanish Segunda B4. THe only difference is I'm using high tempo settings in bursts throughout matches instead of all match. Bit warmer here and don't want my lads wasting away to nothing now do I ;)

dafuge - How do you find weather conditions in somewhere like Brazil affecting your tactical decisions?

Archived