Do stats tell the whole story? (Regens)

I'm now fully fledged within the game and am in the year 2018. As you can imagine regens are generally now the markup of the footballing population. As I was searching the globe in the hope of finding the next Zidane, I did find a lot of good players some with even all their stats over 10 and on the face of it looked amazing. My scouts said thy would become good players but not amazing, the result wasn't what I expected so I checked in with genie scout. One regen in particular stood out immediatley and he looked to soon take the world by storm, however after delving into the scout machine his PA was only that of 167. This figure is far from disastrous but but I was expecting higher judging by his stats, so I popped back into Fm and one of my scouts found a seven star regen :). Needless to say I was excited, at first glance I was very disappointed he had some top stats in some attributes but the rest were a dismal. So just to confirm whether my scout had gone barmy I went back on to genie scout, only to find he has a PA of 192 and a CA 174.

So his his current ability will always be greater than that of the other regen, this astounded me and I looked in more detail. The 7* regen was a center back, in his technical column only heading marking and tackling were above 15, in the mental column; positioning, concentration, determination, bravery and composure. And finally all his physicals were above 10 with great stats in pace, so with all these stats in mind these are clearly the exact stats a center back would need and nothing more. The rest of his stats are truly poor, which finally leads me to my questions. Is it better to have top stats in the necessary areas?, or to have a great all rounder?. Also if this is indeed the case why did it not take on much influence with the original players, like itdoes with the regens?

It's much better to have players with good stats in essential areas, theres no point having a defender wasting CA points in finishing or free kicks.

The original players are researched, the researchers make their stats as real as possible.

I've had these issues before. I'd use Genie Scout on 08 to look for great young players to develop but the ones with 190+ PA seemed to churn up really poor players that, according to the scount, would have bad attributes. The best ones seemed to be around the 160 mark, especially in the stats such as Work Rate which is more important to me than being able to slot home a free kick lol.

Archived