Developing a Country

Have any of you taken on a team from a small country with a weak football league and turned them into a massive footballing nation?

Like how England has the best league in the World, has had an English team in the Final of the Champions League for the past 4 years (5 if you include this year) has anyone achieved this with the likes of Cyprus or something like that?

I'm interested in if its possible to do as its something that could be pretty fun to work towards.

Have any of you taken on a team from a small country with a weak football league and turned them into a massive footballing nation?

Like how England has the best league in the World, has had an English team in the Final of the Champions League for the past 4 years (5 if you include this year) has anyone achieved this with the likes of Cyprus or something like that?

I'm interested in if its possible to do as its something that could be pretty fun to work towards.

This will never happen in the game due to a variety of factors, one major hurdle being league reputation.

Like James said, this will never happen.

But if you had a multiplayer game in a country like Sweden you may be able to get good young regens to the club and bring them through to be world class, then you may have 2 Swedish teams in the final. It would take ages though!

I had in my fm07 game china win a world cup, then be runner up the following one. They became a powerhouse. Their league teams didnt retain any of the new chinese talent though, with european clubs snatching them up, but it was quite cool that they became one of the top 3 teams in the world for around 15 years (in my game, 2020-2035 approx).

it can happen, but it takes a lot of luck with the regens.

I'm in favour of variable league reputation - when you look back over the past ten years I think the EPL's reputation has improved, while the Serie A and La Liga have declined. If you look back over thirty or forty years, I think you'd say the EPL's reputation has changed dramatically, and since the mostly-amateur days of the '50's, the Dutch ErieDivisie has made tremendous strides. MLS's reputation and quality of play have changed fairly dramatically over the past fifteen years .. there are countless examples from football history.

However, what I wouldn't want to see is the idea that one successful side is able to vastly adjust the reputation of a league - the counter-example we see is Celtic and Rangers, where you have two sides that are (historically) successful in Europe but haven't substantially increased Scotland's reputation.

So, its tough to see where the correct balance-point is.

What's the reason for it not changing? I know when you look in the editor the league rep is a value out of 20, perhaps an increase of one or two would change things too much. I'm sure it could be implemented well, though. I like the idea of turning the Dutch/Portuguese/Russian/whatever league into a powerhouse over many years.

Balance, I think, is what SI have said when they've addressed it in the past.

I suspect there's also an element of "Look, this only has significant impact for career games of 20+ seasons, and we know that 90% of the players never play beyond the fifth season .. so time-consuming development/balancing work like this gets a very low priority."

(I don't know that from any conversation with SI, just guessing from previous game development experience.)

Archived