Question for computer learned folk

On footballmanagerwiki, in the tips for making your game run faster, there is this:

Most users often have some unneeded programs running without even knowing so. Disabling such programs on startup could potentially speed up game processing.

1) Start

2) Run

3) Type in 'msconfig' and hit enter.

4) Click the 'Startup' tab.

5) Un-tick any programs that you feel don't need to be running when your program starts up. Examples include 'Windows Live Messenger', 'Google Desktop' & 'iTunes Helper'. You can also disable your anti-virus from startup if you wish/feel comfortable in doing so.

Now when I do this, there are tons of programmes ticked but I havnt a clue what they are, bar one or two. How do I know which to untick and would it be safe just to untick them all?

There is a easier way to do it..

CCleaner(Just google for it) is a very good way to do it, it makes it very easy to disable any programs that start up.

If you get CCleaner, PM Me the list of your start up programs and I will be happy to assist you with programs that arn't needed as much..

There is a easier way to do it..

CCleaner(Just google for it) is a very good way to do it, it makes it very easy to disable any programs that start up.

If you get CCleaner, PM Me the list of your start up programs and I will be happy to assist you with programs that arn't needed as much..

Pmd you ryan, thanks

On footballmanagerwiki, in the tips for making your game run faster, there is this:

Most users often have some unneeded programs running without even knowing so. Disabling such programs on startup could potentially speed up game processing.

1) Start

2) Run

5) Un-tick any programs that you feel don't need to be running when your program starts up. Examples include 'Windows Live Messenger', 'Google Desktop' & 'iTunes Helper'. You can also disable your anti-virus from startup if you wish/feel comfortable in doing so.

Now when I do this, there are tons of programmes ticked but I havnt a clue what they are, bar one or two. How do I know which to untick and would it be safe just to untick them all?

:thup: Good man for the advertising :D

Also when going thru programmes to uninstalll, I see theres a MASSIVE amount of space taken up with various java updates. Whats the story with these? Can i get rid of most of it?

I always delete the outdated java updates. Just make sure to keep the most recent one.

1) Start

2) Run

In general, unticking all is a bad idea, because usually some programs are stubborn to start manually (say, for example, you get bored of losing so you quit and look for the tactics forum but then you have to start up your anti-virus software and firewall...).

Googling the program will tell you more about it.

Or you could ask here.

Archived