Warning: Don't manage teams with a points deduction!

I started with Rotherham, who begin the season with a 17 point deduction. I've just been told that my job is under threat because we're struggling so badly. Except we're not. Without the deduction, we'd be in a play-off spot. It would seem the game doesn't recognise this. Furthermore, we keep getting told we've been "disappointing so far and find ourselves in 22nd place". For crying out loud!! I can't do much about it when we started on -17 points. We're actually doing really well and have already caught the teams above us.

Why oh why didn't SI think to make sure that the game takes account of points deductions?

Apparently it's okay if you're managing Luton. I'm just really cheesed off that our relatively good form isn't recognised. I don't see why somebody didn't think, when they implemented the points deducations, that it might be worth making sure they don't screw the player over.

Apparently it's okay if you're managing Luton. I'm just really cheesed off that our relatively good form isn't recognised. I don't see why somebody didn't think, when they implemented the points deducations, that it might be worth making sure they don't screw the player over.

I got told we were 'disappointing' within 6 games after 3 wins and 2 draws.

Maybe they just hate me :(

Hey I got sacked for being in 14th place with Watford! I had a game in hand, and was 2 points from a play-off spot.

I also nearly got the sack for finishing 9th with Stuttgart (whom I took over when they were 2nd last in January) and I was only 3 points from 6th place at the end of the season. Results didnt go my way on our last game of the season.

The game needs to take into account the deductions, how tight the ladder is, games in hand and other little things to judge the performances. Also they need to take into account that "geez, this guy took over a club who was supposed to win the league, but they were 2nd from bottom, and he took them 3 points from a Uefa Cup place, kudos to him" but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they try to sack you.

Anyway I didnt get sacked, and I am 5 points ahead with Stuttgart in the new season, and I am proud of my 1st place. :D

And another warning: Don't manage teams in midseason with an expectation to win the league. :(

I took over a Russian First Division club in the middle of the season, and struggling in 8th. So then I take them to a 11 win - 7 draw - 2 loss record, we go up to 5th, yet the board is disappointed that I couldn't win the league. NEWSFLASH, we had no chance to win the league!!! My job is 'very insecure' as well. Hope I survive... :(

It's not right that we should have to make these warnings. I hope, even if they don't comment, that someone from SI sees this thread and resolves to deal with boards not properly understanding particular situations.

I had this happen to me on FM2007 with Lazio,i started on a points deduction because of the calciopoli match fixing trial that saw juventus relegated,i was sitting in mid table not to far from a uefa cup spot and if i never had the points deduction would of been in a champions league spot but my job security was down as very insurcure and i was always under pressure.

I thought my advice was awesome :(

Seriously though, I did think this had been mostly fixed but I haven't played with a team in that situation. It's probably worth bringing this up in the bugs forum aswell.

And another warning: Don't manage teams in midseason with an expectation to win the league. :(

I took over a Russian First Division club in the middle of the season, and struggling in 8th. So then I take them to a 11 win - 7 draw - 2 loss record, we go up to 5th, yet the board is disappointed that I couldn't win the league. NEWSFLASH, we had no chance to win the league!!! My job is 'very insecure' as well. Hope I survive... :(

This one really bugs me - I'm perfectly content with the game remembering that the side were pre-season favorites and have, overall, had a disappointing season, but I really think that the chairman should re-set the expectations for you based on the situation when you take over, the number of games remaining, and the points difference between you and given targets.

For example, I take over the pre-season favorites in League One, currently struggling in eighth place. I'm three points adrift of 6th place, twelve points adrift of 2nd place. If there are two games left in the season, my expectations might be to finish in a strong mid-table position. If there are six games left in the season, my expectations might be to reach the playoffs. If there are thirty games left in the season, my expectations might be to achieve promotion full stop.

As it happens, I'm doing so well with Rotherham that it looks like I can achieve the board's aims and am not going to have any problems. But it doesn't mean I'm not still annoyed about this.

Like you said, it doesn't seem to be a problem with Luton, which is odd. I managed to just about avoid relegation with them and never had any trouble from the board, seems strange that it happens with other clubs.

I started with Rotherham, who begin the season with a 17 point deduction. I've just been told that my job is under threat because we're struggling so badly. Except we're not. Without the deduction, we'd be in a play-off spot. It would seem the game doesn't recognise this. Furthermore, we keep getting told we've been "disappointing so far and find ourselves in 22nd place". For crying out loud!! I can't do much about it when we started on -17 points. We're actually doing really well and have already caught the teams above us.

Why oh why didn't SI think to make sure that the game takes account of points deductions?

I agree with what your saying. The same thing happened to me when I was Bournemouth, They expected me to be a mid-table side which would have been quite a possibility if it weren't for the 17 point deduction. Surely the board should realise that it would be far more likely to be looking to avoid relegation?

This one really bugs me - I'm perfectly content with the game remembering that the side were pre-season favorites and have, overall, had a disappointing season, but I really think that the chairman should re-set the expectations for you based on the situation when you take over, the number of games remaining, and the points difference between you and given targets.

For example, I take over the pre-season favorites in League One, currently struggling in eighth place. I'm three points adrift of 6th place, twelve points adrift of 2nd place. If there are two games left in the season, my expectations might be to finish in a strong mid-table position. If there are six games left in the season, my expectations might be to reach the playoffs. If there are thirty games left in the season, my expectations might be to achieve promotion full stop.

Well, good news all, it's preseason and I haven't been sacked yet. :p

Although I have no choice this year, I have to win the league!

And congratz on becoming a mod Amaroq! :thup:

This is one of the things that really annoyed me, because it was the same in Fm08 and they didn't fix it there either. They just kind of lumped this new confidence feature in 08 and then, despite its obvious short comings, spent about 5 minutes on trying to improve, and, 5 patches later, its still nowhere near working properly.

it annoys me too. especially as well if you take over a club mid season nearly end season a team who were expected to finish top, and they are near bottom and you do reasonably well with them, but your still 5 odd places off where they expected at the start but its still your fault for the beginning results.

Archived