disk not recognised?

Hi. When I insert FM (or anything else for that matter) into my PC, nothing happens. When I open up my computer it says 'Please insert a disk into drive E:.'

I have a Dell Studio computer that reads dvds.

how can I get my computer to read disks so i can play fm?!

• 5 months later...

This worked for me:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11*CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

1.Click on the start menu.

2.If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.

3.Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.

4.In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.

5.Restart Windows.

Thanks for the help but I don't want to use steam. I had that last time and I would prefer to use uniloc.

Unfortunately if you want to use your drive for other things then steam is your only option. You dont need steam running to play fm so once you've authenticated you can have steam offline then you can remove the disk. If you dont want to use steam then you'll have to keep it in the drive at all time. Since you obviously have a problem then try the regedit option and if this doesn't work then the only thing left to do is to take your computer to have the drive either repaired or replaced. Doing this should give you plenty of time to play the demo\game.

I know someone else who had the same problem his CD/DVD ROM drive just stopped reading discs. So I suggested going into control panel then system then device manager and then look for cd/dvd ROM drives, click on the plus sign and open it up then you should see your drive, right click and choose uninstall, when this is done restart your computer and it will start and acknowledge that your ROM drive is not installed and then it will reinstall it and reinstall the drivers and your drive should read your discs again. I have done this a couple of times and it has worked every time.

Archived