Sounds in FMPSP

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff

Sounds are currently (cough) somewhat limited in FM PSP - simply put we've got optional interface plinks (ie. a noise as you move around the UI) and that thats it.

We looked at putting match sound effect in but that would have meant accessing the UMD in-game which would have lowered the game speed (basically a pause while it read them in each time as we couldn't have kept them in memory persistently) and also reduced the consoles battery life while playing by a fair amount.

We'll be re-examining putting them in for the next version now we've got more familiarity with the console (and obviously how likely they are to go in next time will to a certain extent be dependant on how many people seem to want them present).

I've got plenty of games on my PSP and one of the things that annoys me most is the delay caused by sounds when the PSP accesses the UMD.

We were keen to avoid these issues in our game because we feel they detract from the experience. But as Marc has pointed out - we'll be reviewing them again for potential inclusion in the future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Dejyothin:

I've got plenty of games on my PSP and one of the things that annoys me most is the delay caused by sounds when the PSP accesses the UMD.

We were keen to avoid these issues in our game because we feel they detract from the experience. But as Marc has pointed out - we'll be reviewing them again for potential inclusion in the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay so this is very late in the day suggestion for the present version but I was thinking you could include an option for a sounds pack that is installed to the memory card? That could be streamed like when playing mp3s. From the sounds of things it might not be possible to maintain efficiency when using the UMD.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Okay so this is very late in the day suggestion for the present version but I was thinking you could include an option for a sounds pack that is installed to the memory card? That could be streamed like when playing mp3s. From the sounds of things it might not be possible to maintain efficiency when using the UMD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the type of thing we'll be investigating for the next version, Sony (understandably) are fairly restrictive in how you read and write from the memory stick to try and curtail piracy as much as possible - however now we're more familiar with the console and the way Sony work we'll obviously be looking to evolve the PSP game in the future in a similar manner to what we do on the PC titles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Dejyothin:

We were keen to avoid these issues in our game because we feel they detract from the experience. But as Marc has pointed out - we'll be reviewing them again for potential inclusion in the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I can say is well done SI. icon14.gif Those pauses in Virtua Tennis where the UMD is accessed are really irritating. I would rather have a smooth game without sound than one that pauses whilst the UMD is accessed.

Archived