The Play My Game Project

Lots of people keep asking me to learn them how to play FM (tactical side) and wonder why I'm successful. Honestly I have no idea why, other than I study the match engine and spent many hours over the years figuring out what setting does what and learning what happens when you choose a different setting. As there are already topics covering most things I thought id try something a bit different.

So here goes;

First of all go to this link and download a saved game I have created.

Download Link Click Here

This is a current game I am playing and it was last saved on the 16th of November. I am top of Championship with Sheffield United after 16 games. Winning 14 of them and drawing 2. I've scored 32 goals and conceeded just 2 so far.

The formation I am using is Click here

You have probably seen a few people using this in recent weeks and there is good reason for it. It's probably the best shape for FM at the minute as its creates lots of space and is very solid too. I won't list any of the instructions I am using as the tactic is available in the saved game, and that is the exact same as I am currently using too.

So the task is complete the season and tinker with the tactic as much as you want. The squad is gelling nice, morale is good and you've not conceeded in the league for 11 games icon_wink.gif

Everything is set up perfect for people to have a real crack at this. The training is set up, its not the worlds best but its good enough for now.

Keep me posted on how it goes icon_smile.gif

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of people keep asking me to learn them how to play FM (tactical side) and wonder why I'm successful. Honestly I have no idea why, other than I study the match engine and spent many hours over the years figuring out what setting does what and learning what happens when you choose a different setting. As there are already topics covering most things I thought id try something a bit different.

So here goes;

First of all go to this link and download a saved game I have created.

Download Link Click Here

This is a current game I am playing and it was last saved on the 16th of November. I am top of Championship with Sheffield United after 16 games. Winning 14 of them and drawing 2. I've scored 32 goals and conceeded just 2 so far.

The formation I am using is Click here

You have probably seen a few people using this in recent weeks and there is good reason for it. It's probably the best shape for FM at the minute as its creates lots of space and is very solid too. I won't list any of the instructions I am using as the tactic is available in the saved game, and that is the exact same as I am currently using too.

So the task is complete the season and tinker with the tactic as much as you want. The squad is gelling nice, morale is good and you've not conceeded in the league for 11 games icon_wink.gif

Everything is set up perfect for people to have a real crack at this. The training is set up, its not the worlds best but its good enough for now.

Keep me posted on how it goes icon_smile.gif

I'm interested to see what results people get for the next game. I didn't change anything for this game and won 2-3 so my clean sheets have gone out of the window now. Ahh well time to rebuild icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 9inarowhoops:

cant see ur bonus tactic cleon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it not? Ahh well nvm icon_frown.gificon_wink.gif

Cleon: One of the reasons why I struggle with making a decent tactic, is that I do not have many hours in a week, never mind over the years, to find out what does what.

If I play the game only, properly and with trying to adjust tactics as I go along, a season usually take me around five weeks to complete. My work commitments and family always interupt. I am just settling doen to play the game now. The telephone has just rang and work calls. So another day goes by and I've not got near the game.

That is why, now, I am thinking, for me at least it may be better to await the new patch and also the latest tactics from either Diaby or wwfan, if they produce anything. I hope so.

I will also have a go at your latest effort. Kind regards to you and those who still suffer the likes of myself, in trying to assist.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cleon: One of the reasons why I struggle with making a decent tactic, is that I do not have many hours in a week, never mind over the years, to find out what does what. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't need hours though to make a decent tactic. All you need is to find the right balance for your side and have them play to their strengths. But yeah I see your point about limited time icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I play the game only, properly and with trying to adjust tactics as I go along, a season usually take me around five weeks to complete. My work commitments and family always interupt. I am just settling doen to play the game now. The telephone has just rang and work calls. So another day goes by and I've not got near the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

Actually you'd be surprised to know I change hardly anything during a game if at all. Infact the game I've uploaded I've not changed anything in a match unless a player was injured. No tweaking or anything. Sometimes you need just a little faith instead and allow the players to get used to playing a set way rather than tweak in a game constantly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That is why, now, I am thinking, for me at least it may be better to await the new patch and also the latest tactics from either Diaby or wwfan, if they produce anything. I hope so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But whats to say what they create will work for you? You'll probably still have to change it to suit you anyways, so your back at square one icon_frown.gif

Or disregard what you've ever read on here and try your own thoughts and solutions. You seem a wise man, just go with your own instincts icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I will also have a go at your latest effort. Kind regards to you and those who still suffer the likes of myself, in trying to assist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry we've all been there at some point and understand what you're going through. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buxton:

I might give this formation a shot whilst I wait for this new patch, I'm a bit bored of waiting for it at the minute and am just messing about on FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually gonna create this originally for Newcastle or Spurs. But I decided to wait for patch instead too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

cleon, no offence and I realy mean so. I think using such formations (which are not used by AI also) is a cheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So is me being the manager of Sheff Utd icon_wink.gif

And nah its not a cheat lol, why would it be? Some managers in different countries use extremely weird formations at times. The shape im currently using as been used IRL in the early days or football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buxton:

I might give this formation a shot whilst I wait for this new patch, I'm a bit bored of waiting for it at the minute and am just messing about on FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually gonna create this originally for Newcastle or Spurs. But I decided to wait for patch instead too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you should mention Spurs, because that's who I've just started a game with it using this formation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

I jsut think using those formations is advantage that AI can't/won't do. but it's the metter of taste. I never use such formations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But its a RL formation and one you can see the AI using. But meh whatever!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> final score 2-2 do you think i should haved changed something when i went 2-0 up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno you not said much, you must have seen were it went wrong etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

I was actually gonna create this originally for Newcastle or Spurs. But I decided to wait for patch instead too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you should mention Spurs, because that's who I've just started a game with it using this formation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great minds eh? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yeah without new formations and systems the world would never have had total football, cheating would be like having a 12th man or something. when it comes to formations theres no such thing as cheating </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Libertine'82:

Yeah without new formations and systems the world would never have had total football, cheating would be like having a 12th man or something. when it comes to formations theres no such thing as cheating </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the metter of taste. for me it is, indeed.

Its strange to see people changing things when there winning. The only time I make a change is if im loosing. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found that when I went two-nil up the opposition were pressing down the wings a lot more and I needed my wing backs further back to deal with the pressure. They were attacking more, and I wanted to consolidate so I could keep that clean sheet record. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ObaMartins09:

Cleon - How do you find such great players, Camacho, Javi Flores, and that guy you are scouting?

Two are/were playing for really obscure clubs. How did you find them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From playing over the world really. You see some players get signed for other teams and take a look at them and give em a try.

Fair Enough icon_biggrin.gif

Some questions on your tactic;

1.Why does the keeper have forward runs often?

2.Why does the WBL (Armstrong) have passing style short? Whereas the other wing back has passing style team (Mixed)?

3.Would you change the instructions if a different player played in any given position. i.e If I brought Beattie on for Sharp, would you change his instructions as he is a different type of striker?

Hope you can answer. Drew with Wolves away 0-0 btw. Still kept a clean sheet. icon_biggrin.gif

1) I was messing around before with him coming forward and playing as a sweeper. I guess I forgot to change his FWR backs, although I did set rest of it back to normal. So just change it back icon_biggrin.gif

2)As Tonge is the more creative midfielder and plays in the MLC position, I find it helps for him recieveing more of the ball.

3) For this set up no, id play any striker morealess the same really.

Okay. Do you want me to test the tactic with some other teams, prem teams?

Just beat QPR 1-0. Struggling for goals atm, especially from Sharp. Hmmm.

One more question. Have you been using the tactic for every single game this season? Tweaked it at all since the first match? Okay, that's two questions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ObaMartins09:

Okay. Do you want me to test the tactic with some other teams, prem teams?

Just beat QPR 1-0. Struggling for goals atm, especially from Sharp. Hmmm.

One more question. Have you been using the tactic for every single game this season? Tweaked it at all since the first match? Okay, that's two questions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah every game and no tweaks. Sharp is still doing ok in my game, he's got something like 25 in 22 I think. I did praise him in the press though.

cleon, no offence and I realy mean so. I think using such formations (which are not used by AI also) is a cheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to deffend Cleon and this is by no means a crap response but when you think about it this is your every day 4-4-2 setup

I praised him as well icon_biggrin.gif

Said I was delighted with him, and he agreed. Doesn't seem to be banging them in though. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How manys he got? There will be games where he doesn't score though. But for me he gets lots of assists too, hes the all round player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by www2:

Not to defend Cleon and this is by no means a crap response but when you think about it this is your every day 4-4-2 setup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say it was more of a 2-5-3 in attack and 5-2-3 in defence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by i had 2 du this:

Cleon why is it soo lethal a lot of my tactics dont score from as many shots as yours do </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its all about the balance, midfield is the key icon_smile.gif

Don't worry, I did'nt change any settings. icon14.gif

Sheffield Utd dominated against Bristol City in my game. Far higher possession, a third more shots on target, petter passing, crossing, tackling & heading.

Interestingly, Bristol City had zero percent cross success.

Problem is, Bristol City won 1-0, with the goal coming from a free-kick. I decided not to change anything, although 1-0 down at half-time, as they were actually playing well. They continued to play well in the second-half. How they lost the game is beyond me. icon_rolleyes.gif

Perhaps Billy Sharp ain't too hot... icon_wink.gif

Am going to test this formation and tactics a little more, but I have to say, I still lean towards having two proper frontmen myself. Don't know what I'm doing with 4-4-2 formations specifically that's doing so well for me, but I get far better results than formations with a solo frontman. This flies in the face of what alot of people are thinking in that the solo-frontman formations have performed better on FM07 and FM08.

I'll see if I can upload my own tactics and settings for others to have a look at.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by i had 2 du this:

Cleon why is it soo lethal a lot of my tactics dont score from as many shots as yours do </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its all about the balance, midfield is the key icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not helpful icon_biggrin.gif

What balance what do you meen?

Cmon explain?

Its all about the balance, midfield is the key icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, I played against a average team in my division, had 31 shots and the game tied 0-0. Next game I decided to play less attacking as in the previous game I did get a lot of chances but not really good ones into open space.

Cmon explain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flyingdutchman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Cmon explain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, I played against a average team in my division, had 31 shots and the game tied 0-0. Next game I decided to play less attacking as in the previous game I did get a lot of chances but not really good ones into open space.

Archived