FM10 management pathway

I saw this mentioned a fair few times last year as an idea for FM09, i was just wondering whats everyones view on it though, wether it would be a good addition or not for FM10.

Basically its the ability to be the manager of just the under 18's or reserves of a club, not the actual manager of the first team. You'd of course have to answer to the first team manager and if your reserve team manager you have to do what you can with what he gives you and if your under 18's manager you get to nurture the new talent coming through. You don't get to make transfers or many of the things the first team manager would. As the game goes on you can be given more responsibility, such as taking control of youth training, or the gaffer asking for your opinion on things such as how players are coming along. And then when the manager leaves the club, you could be given a shot at the big job if you've done well with the reserves or under 18's, plus if the job interviews are implemented as well you'll get a great chance to state your claim for the job, or you could walk out with the manager if he's gone to a new club and become the reserves or under 18's manager there.

I think this would be a great addition to FM because for people interested in long career games it adds alot more depth to the game and makes it last longer, i myself would love to be the under 18's manager of a club because i'd get a new crop of players coming through every year and it would make the game last so much longer, getting to start out with a league 2 club as under 18's manager for example and after many years getting to land a big job somewhere. I'd also love to see this implemented internationally aswell, like control the England under 21's.

It would add an extra dimension to the game which after a fair few years of the same kind of management is much needed imo to stop the series becoming abit stale with people who have been playing FM/CM for years. I myself have been playing since CM 01/02 (bear in mind im 16, so i've been playing since i was about 9) and i just feel like its the same year on year, yes theres been changes such as the match engines but this being implemented into the game is a new challenge and can bring people who have lost interest in the series back.

Please put this into a future version of the game SI:rolleyes: (also wouldnt mind a comment from SI on wether there are any plans to implement this in any future versions of the game)

Cheers if you managed to read all that:D

This was a suggestion that has cropped up many times this year, and you have just put up a post about it in more detail.

However, as I believe it would be a fantastic feature, I have to give the overall suggetion a thumbs up:thup:

This was a suggestion that has cropped up many times this year, and you have just put up a post about it in more detail.

However, as I believe it would be a fantastic feature, I have to give the overall suggetion a thumbs up:thup:

Sorry, i'd of added it to an FM10 thread about it if i could find one, suppose it could of gone in the wishlist thread but theres that many ideas in there i cant see that every post is payed attention to, and it would be such a good feature to have imo that i felt it deserved a detailed thread, cheers for the thumbs up:D

I do like the idea, as it would clearly add another dimension to career games.

In some respects this has been implemented in the Spanish leagues with the ability to start at B teams and the possibility of taking charge of national u21's and youth sides. I do wonder how well it could be implemented in other leagues though and what (if any) impact such a role would have on your reputation and prospects of progress to "full" managerial positions, other than the main job at your club.

I'm not sure if it's the type of game I would be particularly interested in playing if I'm honest, though if feasable and worthwhile for SI to include, then I don't see why not. It is after all, possible to have full control over reserves and youth sides of clubs you can manage already. There have been considerable problems with implementing B team management in the Spanish leagues, so in fairness, I doubt it would be top priority to implement further into the game at this moment in time.

Would never ever use anything like this. Essentially its the same game as I'm playing now, only without many of the options I currently have.

Don't get the point about making the game last longer either, it lasts for as long as you want it to. I really don't see how adding this would increase the game's longevity.

Would never ever use anything like this. Essentially its the same game as I'm playing now, only without many of the options I currently have.

Don't get the point about making the game last longer either, it lasts for as long as you want it to. I really don't see how adding this would increase the game's longevity.

From a career game point of view, start as under 18's or reserve manager in the lower leagues, could take a few seasons before you get a full management position somewhere, could end up going to another club as their under 18's or reserve manager. Its effectively a different type of management career. It makes your goals take longer to achieve, e.g goal to get Crewe to the prem, its obviously going to take longer if i start as their under 18's manager rarther than their full manager as i have to get into that full management position, unless the AI manager does very well, its like earning your right to manage the team, adding that bit extra and something different to the game. Whilst you see it as limiting your options i see it as a different kind of challenge, you dont get a say in what players you are managing, it could be difficult but due the limited involement in the running of the club there isnt as much to do which may actually appeal to the casual gamers a bit.

Adding on to the idea, if you were in charge of the reserves team, would it be you to step up to the plate when the 'proper' manager picked up a touch-line ban?

Never thought of that, suppose the manager could choose between you or the assistant manager to take charge of the game, good thought there:thup:

I can see how the idea would appeal to the casual gamer, but being a realism fanatic, I think it'd appeal to me too. It's more realistic for my first job to be with a reserves/u-18 team, and makes it all the more satisfying when I rise through the ranks and become the gaffer. It would add a nice dimension for long term games, since I seem to run out of interest around 5-7 years into the game.

Seems to me too that with all the hoopla this year regarding tactics (and their apparent complexities), this may be a ground for beginner managers to try out their strategies without too much pressure on results, especially for a u-18 team since I'd think the first goal would be to develop the youngsters.

The biggest potential that gets me excited about the idea, though, is the ability to cultivate relationships with up and coming players. I know it exists in the current game, but I think it'd be a great touch if, several years later into my managerial career, I manage a big club and end up winning a bidding war for a star player because I've coached him when he just came out of the academy.

also for new players of the game this would be a good addition due to more and more people complaining of its complexity, this could introduce things one by one whilst still have the option of a long term career from your first save.

Edit, dam beaten to it, shouldn't have gone for a shower half way through writing a post :(

This would only really be any good in countries where the reserve teams are part of the league system (like the Spanish B Teams). It wouldn't really work in England - you don't actually have that many reserve/youth games during the season, leaving long periods with nothing to do, you also have the fact that the AI doesn't maintain a reserve team as you get into the game (in my game they are made up of youth, unwanted or injured players) leaving you with nothing to do really.

With International teams you can already be the manager of the U21's etc, though I think you need to be offered the job rather than be able to apply for it.

If it's one of those, 50% would use it and 50 wouldn't, arguably wouldn't hurt to be implemented.

Stepping in for the senior team manager is good too :thup:

But don't detract too far from the manager side. No ass man requests!

It's football manager, and this idea does just fit into the category.

This would only really be any good in countries where the reserve teams are part of the league system (like the Spanish B Teams). It wouldn't really work in England - you don't actually have that many reserve/youth games during the season, leaving long periods with nothing to do, you also have the fact that the AI doesn't maintain a reserve team as you get into the game (in my game they are made up of youth, unwanted or injured players) leaving you with nothing to do really.

With International teams you can already be the manager of the U21's etc, though I think you need to be offered the job rather than be able to apply for it.

You can apply for U21's, I did for England. Get what you're saying 'bout AI reserves as well.

I reckon this is an excellent idea. The game as it stands markets itself as the ultimate in football management sims (which it is in comparison to the competition) but I reckon an addition like this would actually make such a claim truly valid. As others on here have said, the pathway for most managers is not necessarily just through minor leagues to major, but from coaching to youth, reserves etc and then onto the top level. I’m a realism buff myself, so would definitely play a feature such as this.

With regard to reputation, I would think that this would be something that could be worked out. Something similar to the option that exists now to pick previous experience level could be implemented. There could just be a tick box for ‘include reserve/youth leagues’ etc which could be on if you want o start at this level, or off to keep it the way it is now. You could then either pick the reserve/youth team you want to start at, go random, or wait for a job to come up and apply. I would think that if SI were truly keen on such a feature then it shouldn’t be too hard to implement (then again, I don’t know the first thing about designing games :D). One issue could be the processing speed which would be effected by running additional leagues as active?

One issue could be the processing speed which would be effected by running additional leagues as active?

It shouldn't affect the processing speed because technically you wont actually be having any additional leagues, like on the game now say you select the English leagues, all the reserve and under 18's leagues come with it anyway in full detail.

A potential bug however could be that you take over a reserve team and they have no fixtures for the first season, that happens with some clubs on 09 at the minute.

its already in there just not in some leagues, i remember a game i started for the Can you Conquer the World challenge i accepted a job with a team in mexico and started signing players and all the good players i signed the 1st team where taking them from me.

Great idea but how far away do you realistically think it will be....Could be a fair few years...Would be a big big job to undertake...and i cant help but think that there would be more "Can my pc handle the game" threads as you would need fair bit of ram...

Its perfect for the career player, such as myself.

It depends if you have the time to play it rather than jump in the middle as a manager or at the top as a world class manager... or at a world class team.

I'd probably be the under 18's manager of a big team such as Man Utd then become the manager of a low league team as I doubt very much it'l be fun playing with a poor team of under 18's at say Oxford lol.

I disagree with most of that. I'd say there's too little to do with international management, but this lies somewhere inbetween club and international with regards to the amount of games you will play per season in England. There's 18 games in the Reserve league and 22 in the Under 18's in my save, playing roughly about twice a month. That's about half of the first team, which wouldn't really leave you without anything to do for that long, compared to international management (though sure you can watch club football in your spare time for something to do).

Shorter seasons might actually appeal to some of the people that feel the game takes too long to play as well. The AI not maintaining a reserve team as the game progresses though is something that would have to be looked at, but really, just how long do you plan on being a reserve team manager for anyway? It's a starting point rather than somewhere you'd be looking to stay at long term.

Would like to see it implemented, tied in with more managerial attributes and detailed managerial information. Making you and your career more unique.

So much time and effort has gone into making the players etc. as realistic as possible and the way they are recorded and act, suprised for so long that you as a palyer has been neglected.

Essentially you would be unable to make signings and if you had a crap squad you would have no way of bringing players in to improve it. Should you happen to have a good player in your squad, the manager will likely call him up to the senior team, once again leaving you with a crap squad, possibly full of grays. Sound like your idea of a good time?

Essentially you would be unable to make signings and if you had a crap squad you would have no way of bringing players in to improve it. Should you happen to have a good player in your squad, the manager will likely call him up to the senior team, once again leaving you with a crap squad, possibly full of grays. Sound like your idea of a good time?

It does actually, its something different, where you cant go getting success because of who you sign like you do now, but instead it really will push your management skills, and because there aren't so many games to play at that level you'll have extra time to make plans for your upcoming opponents.

Not up for a bit of a challenge James;)

It does actually, its something different, where you cant go getting success because of who you sign like you do now, but instead it really will push your management skills, and because there aren't so many games to play at that level you'll have extra time to make plans for your upcoming opponents.

Not up for a bit of a challenge James;)

No I'm not up for a team of grays, but if you are, good for you :)

Ok, so we´ve had 1 no and how many yes ???????

If your counting James B as the no then just dont take him into consideration, it seems hes basing his opinion on the idea that if it were implemented then there would be teams of gray players which tbh if SI were to put this in the game that would probably be one of the first things they'd make sure didnt happen. For the under 18's you'd always have enough players in the squad anyway, and as for reserves SI could just put something in that means the AI manager frees up enough of his excess players and subs to play in the reserves, even if the manager just requests they play 45mins, heck you could even bring a few under 18's in if you had to. So I dont see grayed out players being a problem.

If your counting James B as the no then just dont take him into consideration, it seems hes basing his opinion on the idea that if it were implemented then there would be teams of gray players which tbh if SI were to put this in the game that would probably be one of the first things they'd make sure didnt happen. For the under 18's you'd always have enough players in the squad anyway, and as for reserves SI could just put something in that means the AI manager frees up enough of his excess players and subs to play in the reserves, even if the manager just requests they play 45mins, heck you could even bring a few under 18's in if you had to. So I dont see grayed out players being a problem.

I'm just basing it on what my under 18's looks like at the moment, it has 8 players in it (with many playing the same position.) I suppose SI could ensure that each under 18's was filled with real players each year but that would undoubtedly increase the requisite size of the database geometrically. As it stands only enough regens are brought in to replace the retiring players, leading to no net increase in the size of the database. If enough regens to make a full squad of under 18's were brought in each season SI would have to have a huge number of players retire each season to compensate, or the size of the database will increase.

Instead of dismissing other peoples contributions, perhaps you could constructively think of a way that it could be implemented without being detrimental to alot of peoples long-term saves?

can't say i would use this feature, can't see the fun in not being to decide who is my side, not able to buy players, re-sign potential talents, etc. I've got no problem with it being in the game, as long as it didn't happen in place of new leagues and correct rulings. Heck, i'd even take better graphics over this!

Instead of dismissing other peoples contributions, perhaps you could constructively think of a way that it could be implemented without being detrimental to alot of peoples long-term saves?

I didnt want to dismiss your contribution sorry, if your against it then fine, the only reason i said to ignore it was because of your reasoning behind it. No harm done:thup:

+ it shouldnt effect long term saves, as it is now, your under 18's manage to field a squad every game so theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to. Because of the age of the players coming in you'll have two years worth of youth to play around with, even if thats only 8 a season it will still leave you with 16 players. Some players even come in as 15 year olds, that gives you 3 years with them.

At the end of the day theres a lot of people which won't use this, but theres also a lot of people which will, who are either looking for something new to do, looking for a challenge or just looking for a longer career pathway before you get to where you want e.g. Premiership and Champions League glory.

I didnt want to dismiss your contribution sorry, if your against it then fine, the only reason i said to ignore it was because of your reasoning behind it. No harm done:thup:

+ it shouldnt effect long term saves, as it is now, your under 18's manage to field a squad every game so theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to. Because of the age of the players coming in you'll have two years worth of youth to play around with, even if thats only 8 a season it will still leave you with 16 players. Some players even come in as 15 year olds, that gives you 3 years with them.

At the end of the day theres a lot of people which won't use this, but theres also a lot of people which will, who are either looking for something new to do, looking for a challenge or just looking for a longer career pathway before you get to where you want e.g. Premiership and Champions League glory.

I'm not against it. I just think that, like others have mentioned, there are a great deal of others things that need improving that will benefit every user. They should be prioritised. To understand what I was saying before, have a look at this screenshot.

http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss39/jamesb_33/?action=view&current=TeamBathU18.jpg

It's in the year 2024, I have the best youth facilities possible. I do not think managing this U18 team would be fun.

http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss39/jamesb_33/?action=view&current=TeamBathU18.jpg

It's in the year 2024, I have the best youth facilities possible. I do not think managing this U18 team would be fun.

Wow, is it like that every year for you? What happened to the players from the previous year? Any chance of a screenie of the reserves with their ages displayed?

Wow, is it like that every year for you? What happened to the players from the previous year? Any chance of a screenie of the reserves with their ages displayed?

Yeah, I only get like 4 or (occasionally) 5 new youths every year. I'm not sure why, maybe its because Team Bath start off with no youth facilities whatsoever? Here's a screenie of my reserve team sorted by age so that you can see who would be eligible to play in my U18 team.

http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss39/jamesb_33/?action=view&current=TeamBathReserves.jpg

As you can see there are 6 players there that COULD play for my U18 team. HOWEVER, three of them I bought from other clubs as prospects and placed them in the reserves to develop (the three French ones.) Now as U18 manager I would not be able to do that, essentially leaving me with the three (bad) English ones to add to my depleted U18 team on match day.

Archived