What is the 'why can't you play like this every game' teamtalk for?

I just upset a few of my players because I used this teamtalk after a solid 4-0 win. We took our chances and defended well when needed, obviously I'm pleased because in the few games before that we dominated possession but didn't turn enough chances into goals and also the defence had been sloppy, this was the first game in a while that I would call a complete victory in that we dominated in every facet of the game, so I wanted to challenge the players into keeping up the good form.

However, apparently I'm not giving the players enough credit? :confused:

So what exactly is this teamtalk for? When can you use it and not have it upset your players? Or is it one of those 'avoid at all costs' teamtalks like the dreaded 2-0 up at HT 'pleased' aka 'thats enough boys lets relax' teamtalk? :rolleyes:

The only time I would use it is if my team have been shocking in the 1st half and play a hell of alot better in the 2nd half. That's when I would say 'Why can't you play like that every game?' referring to their 2nd half performance because my half time team talk would have been referring to their 1st half performance. Maybe I'm wrong though but I rarely use it tbh :p

I've used it a few times after my team gets a good win after a slump in form. I've found it quite effective.

With regards to the "Pleased" while up 2-0 at half time. I honestly haven't found this an issue. If I'm 2-0 up I don't often get pegged back when I say I'm pleased. This may be down to the character of the squad - mine is described as very determined and they all have high work rate bar a few.

I steer clear of that in any team talk. I have upset more teams then i have encouraged with 'why can;t you play like this every game'.

I reckon pleased works just fine though, although i would never say that i was 'delighted' at half time. My squad tend to hold onto leads when i say that i am pleased but as scoot4nat says that might be down to personality.

Never used the "Why can't...." team talk...it just seems a bit arbitary. As for a HT talk when 2-0 up...thats always a few selective individual chats, or a don;t get complacent / don't let your performance drop.

Pleased & Thrilled are for a 4 or 5 goal lead at half time...so I've used that exactly once in about 30 seasons of FM ;)

This is one reason I went back to FM05. The team talks seem random at best, and finding the "correct" option is a pain in the arse. I'd rather play without them than worry about picking a "wrong" option and having team morale plummet.

I steer clear of this also. It's only there for people to mistakenly use imo. If i was told this i'd be offended as i would think my previous performances were not good enough despite possibly being told at the time the manger was please or sympathised.

The only way i can see it working is if you slated the team for a couple of games then they had a faultless game.

I prefer to go down the route of Delighted for 8's and over pleased for 7's i find this lifts them better and increases/keeps morale.

Also when more than a goal up at half time the encourage option goes. I then use individual teamtalk you have faith for every player. Never let a lead slip like this!

I steer clear of this also. It's only there for people to mistakenly use imo. If i was told this i'd be offended as i would think my previous performances were not good enough despite possibly being told at the time the manger was please or sympathised.

The only way i can see it working is if you slated the team for a couple of games then they had a faultless game.

I prefer to go down the route of Delighted for 8's and over pleased for 7's i find this lifts them better and increases/keeps morale.

Also when more than a goal up at half time the encourage option goes. I then use individual teamtalk you have faith for every player. Never let a lead slip like this!

I don't agree with your point about using it after a faultless game. If I was a player and I played a 10 and was asked why I couldn't do it every week, I'd say "Well I'm human after all!".

I use this talk after a battling performance when we have worked hard to get the result - not a 4 or 5 nil game.

And with regards to your first point, if your performances previously were good, I wouldn't be using this talk for a great game.

I also use 'encourage' when one goal up instead of 'pleased', but sometimes the players' reactions are 'Seemed confused'.

:confused:

This is one reason I went back to FM05. The team talks seem random at best, and finding the "correct" option is a pain in the arse. I'd rather play without them than worry about picking a "wrong" option and having team morale plummet.

At first I felt this as well. Tailoring team talks to each plaer seemed a bit daunting but if you have settled quad you gradually get to know how they react and I find the teamtalks quite engaging,

I tend to use it when we have been on a poor run of form, then if we manage to get a win against a team that is as good or better than mine that the match odds had us down to lose or draw to remind the players of what's expected of them.
I only use it when the team gets a win after a losing streak (or a streak of draws & losses ofc).
At first I felt this as well. Tailoring team talks to each plaer seemed a bit daunting but if you have settled quad you gradually get to know how they react and I find the teamtalks quite engaging,

I agree with each of you. "Why can't..." is a slump breaker. Used any other time, it can create the slump. And now that I have a well-settled side, I find it quite the challenge to pick the individual talk/team talk combination to properly motivate each player on my side. I can't stand seeing even one of my men getting complacent, and will go above and beyond to break him of it.

Never tend to use this as even under the ‘right’ circumstances I’ve only ever seen negative effects.

However, last night after reading this thread I decided to buck the trend and give it a go. After failing to win in 5 games which were starting to get mentioned in the media (‘Sorry Newcastle lose again’ etc.), I played a home game and won 2-1 so went with the ‘why can’t you play…’ option as that’s supposedly the right time to use it.

Result? Half of my team were angered at my talk, so I think I’ll be going back to my original stance of simply leaving it alone.

I don't agree with your point about using it after a faultless game. If I was a player and I played a 10 and was asked why I couldn't do it every week, I'd say "Well I'm human after all!".

I never said i would use it because i never have used it and never will. I said the only way i could see it working...

Like you say players are only human therefor i would not ask them to play like this everyweek after a quality performance.

Archived