Throw ins - impossible to defend? Corners - too easy to score?

Been playing FM09 since christmas and I still haven't figured out what I can do about defending throw-ins. Usually they (the opposition) get a throw in roughly level with the penalty area and it's throw in, pass, pass, goal or throw in, pass, cross, goal. Now this is really getting on my nerves and it's costing me important games. Lost 1-0 in the fa cup final to a goal from a throw in, just now I've conceded twice in 5 minutes after leading united from 2 throw ins, lost a 3-1 lead to villa to you guessed it two goals from throw ins, etcetera etcetera. Now I don't mind the odd goal conceded from a throw in because of course it happens but I lose so many to them that it's getting rediculous. As far as I can tell there's no place to set defensive throw-in tactics so am I the only one to experience this or is it completely broken?

Luckily there's something easily as broken to balance it out. Stick the men good in the air up at a corner, get them to challenge the keeper and you'll score bucketloads. As easy as it is to concede from throw ins it's easier to score from corners and for as long as I've played FM it's always been the way. Howcome it's still so easy?

Do you play our game on key highlights, extended or full match?

The reason I ask is if you play on key highlights, it may seem like the throw ins to goals ratio is much higher than it really is.

Remember, play has to start somewhere.

How many passes are we typically talking between the throw in and the on-target shot?

Extended, and we're talking very very few passes, quite literally what I've put up there. Thing is I know what I want to do to stop it (instead of putting 5 men around the throw in taker and 5 in the box, put 7 or 8, have them quite deep) but I can't choose it. I don't know the ratio of throw in to goal but on average I concede from them once every 2 or 3 games on average?

As for corners, i had a centreback for York City, who was powering in headers from corners all seasom, he ended up on 18 goals for the season. He had 14 jumping and 15 heading, although he was playing in the BSP. A bug? Maybe but i exploited it by instructing him to arrive late in the penalty area

Corners are a bit of a mess in this, IMO. The match engine seems to be far more weighted to the attacker getting the ball, regardless of any relevant stats, than any defenders or keepers. It's only the poor corners that seem to be defendable, ie. ones that go straight to the guy at the near post or excessively long. Oddly, though, my experience seems to be that the motivation factors kick in after one goal - I've had games where my defenders and/or strikers have scored early from a corner and then they simply cannot head the ball on target for the other seven or eight balls they get to; it's very rare for me that I'll score more than one a game. My own experience is that there's a rule of thumb of 'maximum one per game per team'. In any case, corners are far too accurate in this.

Guys, there is a BUG in FM09.

SI have commented on this numerous times.

If you put a player to "challenge goal keeper" on a corner you will score a lot of goals off corners.

It is a known bug/exploit.

SI stated they disabled the AI using this against managers, but managers can still use this exploit. It till be fixed for FM Live.

SO if you want realism, don't use it.

I have no issues with corners or throw-ins, in fact I think corners are a poor part of the game with too many corners going wide right from the kick.

I don't agree with that, Ezequiel_Lavezzi. I have my tallest player on Challenge Keeper from corners and he scores a reasonable amount of goals - no more than five in a season. The "corner cheat" is a bit more complicated, involving drawing other defenders out of the six, giving your corner taker fewer targets to choose from, and giving him strict instructions to put it into the six.

A corner routine of: Target: Mixed, with one player each on Near Post Flick, Challenge Keeper, Stand on Far Post, Attack Near Post, Attack From Deep, Attack Far Post, and Lurk Outside Area will give you a perfectly reasonable distribution of corners.

Extended, and we're talking very very few passes, quite literally what I've put up there. Thing is I know what I want to do to stop it (instead of putting 5 men around the throw in taker and 5 in the box, put 7 or 8, have them quite deep) but I can't choose it. I don't know the ratio of throw in to goal but on average I concede from them once every 2 or 3 games on average?

I paid attention to this in my last two matches.

In the first, I did have 7 or 8 in the box, with even one of my two strikers tracking back to help out. The opposition got five highlight-worthy throws, and we dealt with all of them easily; in fact, two of the "Highlights" were my counter-attacks the other direction. I was using the TT&F tactics, unmodified, e.g., a number of players on "Man" defending, with a few outside players (just my two wingers, if I recall) on "Zonal".

In the second, however, I was up against an unusual formation, and wound up setting up some explicit-man-marking to counter the opposition formation. While that tended to work through the run of play, when it came to my defending throw-ins, we were much more exposed, as my "Explicit" players wound up dragged out of the box. On one throw we had just 4 in the box, and on most we had just 5. The opposition looked much more dangerous, and we never got off any form of counter-attack from it.

So .. there may not be an explicit "Defensive Throw-In Assignment" instruction, but I certainly (now) feel like there are ways to impact this through the existing tactical instructions.

Anyone know how I can upload saved games? I've got an example of what I'm on about with throwins. I mean I've only conceded 14 league goals and I'd guess 5 of them are from throw ins? It really gets on my nerves.

Corners are a bit of a mess in this, IMO. The match engine seems to be far more weighted to the attacker getting the ball, regardless of any relevant stats, than any defenders or keepers. It's only the poor corners that seem to be defendable, ie. ones that go straight to the guy at the near post or excessively long. Oddly, though, my experience seems to be that the motivation factors kick in after one goal - I've had games where my defenders and/or strikers have scored early from a corner and then they simply cannot head the ball on target for the other seven or eight balls they get to; it's very rare for me that I'll score more than one a game. My own experience is that there's a rule of thumb of 'maximum one per game per team'. In any case, corners are far too accurate in this.

I've had hatricks from centre-backs on a couple of occaisons agaisnt teams who were poor in the the air.

That does seem high. I have never noticed many goals coming from throw-ins in my save.

Something that has occured me. When I built my tactic I started out using one of the default tactics. When you created your tactic, did you start from scratch or use a default as the foundation?

From scratch.

Then it might be an idea to use a default formation and "create" your tactic from that. That's the only thing I can think of that's making your players not do the default when defending throw-ins.

I knwo there are throw-in options but I think they are only from an attacking point of view. Not playing just now so can;t check but maybe these also correspond in some way to defending them

I think this sums up everything. lost 3-1, conceding from 3 throwins. Liverpool could send everyone down my end and my defence is all over the place. having conceded 14 goals in 19 games the ease at which I concede from throw ins is rediculous and I can't do anything about it. I don't really want to create a tactic from a pre made one because I've 'fine tuned' my team and I don't want to have to do all that again.

If anyone could have a look at this and tell me what I can do, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TFMRHJ5V

I think this sums up everything. lost 3-1, conceding from 3 throwins. Liverpool could send everyone down my end and my defence is all over the place. having conceded 14 goals in 19 games the ease at which I concede from throw ins is rediculous and I can't do anything about it. I don't really want to create a tactic from a pre made one because I've 'fine tuned' my team and I don't want to have to do all that again.

If anyone could have a look at this and tell me what I can do, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TFMRHJ5V

I don;t mean start from scratch again. I mean choose a default tactic that has the same formation you play. Then, without changing throw in settings, alter the mentality, tempo etc to match your current tactic. That way you keep your original tactic whilst not altering throw in default settings. If you want to stop conceeding from throw-ins you're gonna have to do something!

Can one of you who is having this problem post your "marking" instructions?

Either screen-shot them (Tactics screen, Views | Marking) or list them in-thread? I'd like to see what you're doing differently from the tactical side.

Archived