Champion's League Qualifying

I know this is the way UEFA are doing things now but does anyone else get really annoyed at the new system for qualifying for the Champions League.

I am currently Hibernian and I came second in the SPL and I enter this "best second place" second qualifying round and I draw Fenerbahce. After they get a player sent off I take control of the game and win 3 - 1 away from home so it looks like I have a good chance of getting through to the third round. Before my next game against Fenerbahce they do the draw and I get Udinese!

I don't want it changed as I love the realism. I just thought I would have a rant about how hard my route to the group stages is.

• SI Staff

To be fair, if I was runner-up in the SPL and I was drawn against Fenerbahce and then Udinese I would be delighted. Could be a whole lot harder than that.

To be fair, if I was runner-up in the SPL and I was drawn against Fenerbahce and then Udinese I would be delighted. Could be a whole lot harder than that.

I disagree if you mean purely on looking to get through.

Even as runners up, Hibs against an Italian team who have finish in the top 4 (a league which has a higher reputation than the SPL) this would be a tough draw.

And Fernebache, possible Champions of a similarly rated league, could also be considered a tough draw.

• SI Staff
I disagree if you mean purely on looking to get through.

Even as runners up, Hibs against an Italian team who have finish in the top 4 (a league which has a higher reputation than the SPL) this would be a tough draw.

And Fernebache, possible Champions of a similarly rated league, could also be considered a tough draw.

The Scottish runner-up will be in a qualifying round with the second placed teams in Belgium, Holland, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Greece, Portugal, Turkey and Czech Republic. This draw is seeded so Hibernian would most likely find themselves as an unseeded team and having to face a tough game anyway.

If they were to get through that they would definitely be unseeded in the next stage where the winners of the previous stage are joined by 4th placed teams from England, Spain and Italy and 3rd placed teams from Germany and France.

Not saying it isn't a tough draw but it could have been worse.

Archived