Is there any way to see what position you used to play.

Ok, so I'm playing a low-league game and I've been off to a rather good start. But the thing is I seemed from the start to be immensly popular, and I even got a jobb offer from Wigan, the thing here is, everyone keeps saying I am the greatest thing since slice bread, I started to wonder why. So I checked my history and noticed that I've played quite a few International caps, does this contribute to my popularity? and then I saw, I did about 1 goal ever 5 games, so I was thinking, what position did I play?! 1 ever 5 just seems like such a "it can be anything" kind of thing. so is it even possible to see?

http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bluesquarenorth2.png

as you can see a rather good start, but it's still just BSN so it can't really be just that, could it?

I would love to see this to be honest, it could be aded to the other manager improvement suggestions.

I would love to see what position I played, whatsmore, you would have knowledge of that position and it would make you a good tactician concerning that area of the fieldand Managers could possibly have Attacking/defending tactical attributes.

I would love to see this to be honest, it could be aded to the other manager improvement suggestions.

I would love to see what position I played, whatsmore, you would have knowledge of that position and it would make you a good tactician concerning that area of the fieldand Managers could possibly have Attacking/defending tactical attributes.

If you look at Ruud Gullit, Marco Van Basten and Jurgen Klinsmann for example, great forwards from the past, all the teams they've managed had a great attacking style but lacked discipline and a decent defensive organization. Coincidence? I would suggest: No.

Wasn't it Michael Ballack who at a certain point refused to play for Germany because Klinsmann played what Ballack called a "Kamikaze formation"?

Also Alan Shearer with his 3-4-3 formations comes to mind. But it's a little early to judge his coaching style just yet.

AFAIK there is no way and that those figures are randomly generated.

Ok, thank you :) yea I guessed as much. Would be awesome to be able to generate some history on yourself though. I mean it would feel so wrong if I was say a Rigth-Winger and then as a coach focusing on a formation that was focusing on the centre.

Edit: If you look at Ruud Gullit, Marco Van Basten and Jurgen Klinsmann for example, all the teams they've managed had a great attacking style but lacked discipline and a decent defensive organization. Coincidence? I would suggest: No.

this why I want this, If I used to be a striker for example it should reflect on the team I coach even if it would be negative in this case.

Not particularly. As Helenio Herrera said, it is better to have had an average playing career than an illustrious one- that people don't base you on what you have been. This can lead to mounted pressure on you to come good when in fact your a shocking manager (Tony Adams, anyone? :p)

Not particularly. As Helenio Herrera said, it is better to have had an average playing career than an illustrious one- that people don't base you on what you have been. This can lead to mounted pressure on you to come good when in fact your a shocking manager (Tony Adams, anyone? :p)

Yea, but I'd love it if it was a part of the game seeing how it is totally optional :)

There's still scope for giving your imagination free reign. I'm down as having won 80-odd caps and scoring 20-odd international goals. I have dual English/Cambodian nationality. I can't see how I'd have played all those games for England without the press harping on about it, so I see myself as having played for Cambodia.

On the subject of former players being managers: In baseball it's often been said that the best hitting coaches are the guys who weren't great hitters. Great hitters, it's said, are just naturals at the position; they do things unconsciously that they don't realize are helping themselves, and therefore they have a harder time explaining how to actually hit better. I'd imagine that for the more instinctive players, there's a similar dynamic; if you instinctively know how to create space, for example, than you have a harder time explaining how to do it than someone who needed to learn and can explain it.

Yeah I can see your point. For example, I don't think you should ask basketball legend Michael Jordan how to jump. He'll probably just tell you to bend your knees and go! While there is obviously more to it.

Same goes for stealing. Jordan had a sixth sense for that. I really don't see how he could explain players how to steal a ball.

Some players aren't just cut out for the game but have amazing grasp of tactics and what it takes to win a match, helps if you serve under great managers too. Several ex-Utd players becoming good managers, look at Keane, did wonders at Sunderland.

There was a quote on the Brian Clough documentary that was on a few weeks ago.

"Unfulfilled players make the best managers."

Think of Ferguson as well, he certainly adheres to that trend.

I read a (summarized) biography on Benitez today. Same thing counts for him too.

look at Keane, did wonders at Sunderland.

Did he? Not a Premiership level. What people say about Keane is that as a player he was always 100% committed - he has 20 ambition if you like. As a manager he just can't empathise and deal with players who give less than 100% I hope those tractors come with reverse gear.

A Dutch football journalist said today that Patrick Kluivert and Dennis Bergkamp have failed the "Managing Course" of the Royal Dutch Football Association. Which is the diploma you need in The Netherlands to be allowed to manage a club.

What did you say about legends not being able to manage a club? :D

There was a quote on the Brian Clough documentary that was on a few weeks ago.

"Unfulfilled players make the best managers."

Think of Ferguson as well, he certainly adheres to that trend.

I read a (summarized) biography on Benitez today. Same thing counts for him too.

Yeah, didn't Benitez have a really bad knee injury? If I remember right Mourinho realized about a week into camp with Porto that he couldn't cut it and set himself up to manage from the jump as well.

About Benitez: Yeah he did. He played for Real Madrid when he teared the cruciate ligament of his right knee during a tournament in Canada when he was 19 years old. He was studying Medicine to become a doctor at the time, but when he realized he couldn't play football at a decent level anymore he wanted to become a manager and switched to a Physical Education course.

With success, I would say.

Archived