FM09: European aspirations?

Will a player be more likely consider a move away if his club fail to reach Europe (Champions League/UEFA Cup) next season? Same thing with relegation? I understand player's wanting away is determined by his matches played + squad status + ambition + loyalty + reputation vs the club's, but I can't see failing to reach European competition for a season causing enough drop to a club's reputation (ie: Roma failing to qualify this season causing De Rossi to hand in transfer request). It's pretty common to find players using this excuse to move clubs in the real world, so I'm wondering if it's the same thing in FM.

If that's true, then it'll be an important factor in setting up a New Game, no? If you want to buy some top players from top-flight clubs in other leagues/country, you'll have to set them at least at View-Only so they'll have an active league competition - hence a league position, which will determine whether they'll qualify for European competition. If not, then all European-qualified clubs will forever retain their European status and less chance of their best players leaving.

@ BenArsenal and phnompenhandy: Do you mean in the real world or FM? I'm not sure if I get what you mean.

In the real world, it happens all the time (at least as said in the news). Well-known players refuse the advances of clubs because they don't play European games. Some players are even quoted that their reason to join a club is their desire to play in the Champions League (ie: Gareth Barry for Liverpool last summer - and possibly this year). A good bunch of others cited their ambition of winning trophies affect their choice of clubs.

I agree that so far I haven't seen any player in FM exhibiting these specific traits when considering to move. Maybe SI believe that club reputation is sufficient of a parameter to determine whether a club is attractive enough for more reputable players. However, I think it would only work if the club's reputation is significantly altered when they (a) qualify for Europe and/or (b) consistently win (or at least in contention for) trophies. I admit I haven't tested it myself, but from what I gather in the forums - there's no evidence that these two achievements have significant effect to a club's reputation.

Anyway, my point is this: If it's true that winning trophies and qualifying for Europe increases your club's reputation, then it changes the whole perspective of setting up leagues as view-only/playable/none in New Game. If you want to even have the slightest of chance to get your hands on the likes of Kaka and Messi (without paying exhorbitant sums), then your club need to surpass their club's reputation - and it won't be possible while they are virtually guaranteed a European place every season (if you don't activate their league)

Yes, some players do desire Champions League football, but there is also the flipside. Some people actually find playing in Europe a pain (Exhibit A, H.Redknapp, Exhibit B, M.O'Neill), so it can also work the other way. Would you want to sign for Spurs knowing that Mr Redknapp will not take European football seriously?

Being in Europe is not the be all and end all of a footballer's career.

The difference would be in their Ambition stat. If a player/manager has a high Ambition, they would be more likely to seek better competition, just like the way it is now in FM - ambitious players are always interested if a bigger club is coming for them.

I've never seen a player give that as a reason for not joining a club or wanting to leave, so I'm not sure it's coded into the game.

i4n37 "phnompenhandy: Do you mean in the real world or FM? I'm not sure if I get what you mean."

Um, um ...... I don't know what to say :rolleyes:;)

Yes, some players do desire Champions League football, but there is also the flipside. Some people actually find playing in Europe a pain (Exhibit A, H.Redknapp, Exhibit B, M.O'Neill), so it can also work the other way. Would you want to sign for Spurs knowing that Mr Redknapp will not take European football seriously?

Being in Europe is not the be all and end all of a footballer's career.

surely ALL players desire Champions league football, every manager in the CL will take it seriously. So a player WILL move dependant on CL football. The same cant be said of the Uefa Cup.

In Summary, the CL is the be all and end all of a footballers career. At least the good ones.

surely ALL players desire Champions league football, every manager in the CL will take it seriously. So a player WILL move dependant on CL football. The same cant be said of the Uefa Cup.

In Summary, the CL is the be all and end all of a footballers career. At least the good ones.

I think I will be right to say the CL is so coveted because of the money. If it didn't pay as much I don't think the likes of Mr Redknapp will be interested if he had to face a dead rubber group game in December if Spurs are fighting relegation in the league.

There has been instances where teams prioritise league survival over Champions League. I remember Bayer Leverkusen for one, back when there was the silly second group stage, where they simply gave up after being drawn with Inter, Barca and Newcastle (I think).

Archived