Chairman Removes Backing

Hi,

Was just wondering what peoples experiences are when their chairman removes backing. As i'm Braintree in the prem with a 20k seater stadium. I was taken over 10+ years ago by a tycoon and he put alot of money into the club, topping up the balance to 40 mil every month. And at the start of the new season he annouced that he was removing his financial backing but will still remain the club chairman.

But i have a bad feeling that i'm going to lose alot of money as he paid 4mil every month to top up the club which is 48 million over a whole year, when i've only got 40 in the bank and not going to be in europe for a couple few more years i feel.

Has anyone had him decide to start paying his way again?

Thanks.

Didn't happen to me, but happened at Portsmouth.

They were taken over on 28/7/09 by a New Zealand tycoon, who removed his financial backing from Pompey just before the 12/13 season.

Pompey then dropped from top 5, to mid table for around 6 years (excluding a 3rd place they got one season - which also was the start of their charge back up the table), all without the financial backing of the chairman.

Now in 2023, they are a top 4 side, and 18th richest club in the world, all without the financial backing of their chairman I believe (he's still chairman as well)

Happen with my Leyton Orient Side. Keep them in the legaue when i 1st took over and then 2 consecutive promotions got us to the Championship. Just as i was planning to spend millions of creating a promotion squad the chairman removed his financial backing. To be honest it was the best thing he could have done for me. I scoured free transfers and cheap listed players. Manage to get promotion anyway

Happen with my Leyton Orient Side. Keep them in the legaue when i 1st took over and then 2 consecutive promotions got us to the Championship. Just as i was planning to spend millions of creating a promotion squad the chairman removed his financial backing. To be honest it was the best thing he could have done for me. I scoured free transfers and cheap listed players. Manage to get promotion anyway

Well i just spend the 40 mil budget i got from him on tonnes of 16/17 year olds i scouted. Like all of the newgens. The arsenal one cost me, £13mil for a 16 year old, i must be mad. Budget now sits at -£2mil and i refuse to let me good players go. So hopefully these youths will be good when i'm starting each season with -10 points or until he put some money back into the club, or if i get a champions league spot.

I'm curious about this too. After six seasons my team is finally in the Premiership with a new stadium, but if the backing is removed a 14,000 capacity won't sustain top flight football. My plan, just in case, is to push for as many ground expansions as possible and to spend any spare cash on bargain teenagers that will be be good or sellable in years to come.

Basically, just make the most of it just in case...

I'm curious about this too. After six seasons my team is finally in the Premiership with a new stadium, but if the backing is removed a 14,000 capacity won't sustain top flight football. My plan, just in case, is to push for as many ground expansions as possible and to spend any spare cash on bargain teenagers that will be be good or sellable in years to come.

Basically, just make the most of it just in case...

The stadium thing shouldn't be too much of a problem as it's a new stadium it should have some room for expansion especially as it a premirship stadium. But i will try and make the club sucessful with what ever they give me and the tycoon can worry about the finances. Would love to see him decide to put money back into the club or a nice new tycoon at Braintree.

It happened to me at Portsmouth. Transfer budget went from about £35million a season to just £18million. It actually had a positive effect and I took them from mid table to 4th in the league. Having less money forced me to consider my purchases more carefully and be a bit shrewder and more creative in the transfer market. Mind you, £18m was still a decent budget.

Archived