a noobs question

hey guys. i've been playing this game for a few weeks and i'd like to clarify some issues, with hope you could help.

a) what is the difference between ST and FC? they are both the same position, no?

b) what do i need to look for in a target man, and do i actually need it?

c) what does "free role" mean and what are the (dis)advantages?

d) what do you do when older players decline quickly? do i need a special training focus?

any help would be appreciated...

thanks...

a) FC is a striker who is good at the freerole type of striker. The sort that drops back and links up play rather than an out and out goal poacher

b) You dont' have to have a target man, but a typical one is good in the air and strong at holding up the ball - so jumping, heading, strength are key

c) Freerole is for players who roam around and are less rigid in their set position - wingers drifting infield, attacking midfielers who have freedom to wander out of position, striker who drop back (as above)

d) Luckily (or unluckily) in FM09 older players don't actually decline that quickly, but if they do it's from a lack of match practice as opposed to any training scheme. Just give them regular games and they'll be fine

amdolev - Try re-posting this question in the "Tactics & Training Tips Forum", because you'll get a lot more answers to all these questions.

A good thread that certainly will cover the first three questions would also be "Tactical Theorems and Frameworks '09", which has much information about those positions and roles.

Finally, "A Closer Look at Training" will help with your last question.

:)

This is certainly a thread for the tactics forum, but I'll make 2 brief points.

b) I often use small, fast forwards as target man. With slower defenders, a good through ball and he beats the offside trap to get one-on-one with the keeper.

d) After the age of about 24, players don't develop much physically. Given that strength and aerobics are the most intense regimes, you can reduce those and increase tactical and technical regimes a lot.

Archived