Re: Matchday Sound: (Would appreciate comment from SI/Sega please)

As one who enjoys playing all my games in Full Match mode, the one thing which I find detrimental to my matchday experience, is the very basic level of sound effects.

Previously of course, we have been fortunate to have some kind and generous members invest their time into making a Sound Pack to enhance this side of the game, but as far as I'm aware, this has not happened so far for 09.

If I had the expertise, I would gladly make one myself, but sadly, I don't even have the first idea how to begin such a task. One thing that I've noticed however, is that contained within the original sound files, it seems that all the old sounds from some of the older versions of the game which had all the chants and songs in them, do indeed seem to be there; however, it appears that the game only uses the few basic ones contained within the "default" folder within the main sound folder.

Unfortunately, inserting the others into the default folder does not have the desired effect.

My question that I would appreciate a response from someone at SI/Sega (if at all possible please), is: would it please be possible for someone with the appropriate knowledge, to tell us what we would need to do/edit in order to get these other sounds (which are in the sound folder, but not in the "default" folder) into the game?

I am unsure as to why (considering all these other sounds are already in the main folder) that they were not coded into the game, but it sure would be great to be able to use them.

I know from reading here over the last few months, that there are a fair few others who also would appreciate being able to enhance our game experiences in this way.

Thanking you in advance for your time. :)

I would love chants, but the problem is that the half or them would put this games age rating to 16/18+, even though 12-year-olds know the words and three-year-olds hear them at matches.

they obviously wouldn't put these chants in.

Probably the official chants that contain no swearing, and the ones that do not accuse th referee of being a banker:D

As one who enjoys playing all my games in Full Match mode, the one thing which I find detrimental to my matchday experience, is the very basic level of sound effects.

Previously of course, we have been fortunate to have some kind and generous members invest their time into making a Sound Pack to enhance this side of the game, but as far as I'm aware, this has not happened so far for 09.

If I had the expertise, I would gladly make one myself, but sadly, I don't even have the first idea how to begin such a task. One thing that I've noticed however, is that contained within the original sound files, it seems that all the old sounds from some of the older versions of the game which had all the chants and songs in them, do indeed seem to be there; however, it appears that the game only uses the few basic ones contained within the "default" folder within the main sound folder.

Unfortunately, inserting the others into the default folder does not have the desired effect.

My question that I would appreciate a response from someone at SI/Sega (if at all possible please), is: would it please be possible for someone with the appropriate knowledge, to tell us what we would need to do/edit in order to get these other sounds (which are in the sound folder, but not in the "default" folder) into the game?

I am unsure as to why (considering all these other sounds are already in the main folder) that they were not coded into the game, but it sure would be great to be able to use them.

I know from reading here over the last few months, that there are a fair few others who also would appreciate being able to enhance our game experiences in this way.

Thanking you in advance for your time. :)

Have a look at the two files in the match events folder; events.cfg and match_sounds.cfg if you open them in notepad (notepad++ maybe better for the events file as opening a 16mb file in notepad not recommended).

The match sounds file has comments in it that tell you how to create your own sounds.

If the threads for the old soundpacks are still around you can have a look in them, unless the coding has changed from previous versions.

Have a look at the two files in the match events folder; events.cfg and match_sounds.cfg if you open them in notepad (notepad++ maybe better for the events file as opening a 16mb file in notepad not recommended).

The match sounds file has comments in it that tell you how to create your own sounds.

If the threads for the old soundpacks are still around you can have a look in them, unless the coding has changed from previous versions.

It has....

I would love chants, but the problem is that the half or them would put this games age rating to 16/18+, even though 12-year-olds know the words and three-year-olds hear them at matches.

Well that throws out the Oldham Chant that's aimed at clubs from Yorkshire

We never get any decent sounds or graphics because from SI's perspective, most people play FM on commentary, on ultra fast speed, while alt tabbed out of the game. /sarcasm (but its so true)

Would just LOVE to hear hard Millwall fans squeaking like gerbils :D

One serious point is that many gamers probably do like me and play with the sound off whilst listening to music. I do this because the FM sound is disappointing. If they did have interesting chants I'd switch the sound on for sure. I used match-day sound for fM08 because I'd loaded a soundpack -pity the quality was so poor but if SI included one they'd make sure it was good quality sound.

I believe a lot of the chants can't be included as they are tunes of copyrighted songs. I do agree that the sound is awful though and could be vastly improved. There doesn't feel like there is any atmosphere when it comes to a matchday.

Thank you for your advice Michael.

I looked into your suggestions, and was able to find and edit the sound config file; I'm pretty sure that I did it right (as described in the config file), including the correct .wav files in the correct place etc, but unfortunately the sounds still do not play in the game. I tried also writing commands for general team chants that I have the .wav files for, but that didn't work either, though maybe I was perhaps not formulating the 'id' ("SOUNDS_TEAM_CHANT," etc) correctly?

Thanks for trying though, it is appreciated. :)

Thanks Hamilton, I am glad to hear that the sfx are being worked upon for FM10; unfortunately though, that does not help me much for the next eight months or so. ;):)

I have offered to make sound files for FM11 but SI have never commented on this so im not going to bother doing it. Secondly I want them to make an official apology for selling us a dodgy faulty game which has multiple bugs on it before I make any commitment.

I believe a lot of the chants can't be included as they are tunes of copyrighted songs. I do agree that the sound is awful though and could be vastly improved. There doesn't feel like there is any atmosphere when it comes to a matchday.

To be fair a lot of classic chants are anon / non copywrited. I feel this would add a great deal to the game and it is a shame that the best out ofthe box CM/FM sounding game was CM0102 (7 years old now & not even an official FM franchise).

With that attitude it's hardly surprising SI don't want to waste time with you J-P. Grow up.

And its hardly surprising that SI don't waste there time concentrating on customers and thus have never made an official apology for selling me (and everyone else) a dodgy faulty product. Bug bug bug. This the worse game I personally have played that has had so many bugs in it. I currently make music for computer games and I can safely say I have never come across a game with so many faults in it.

In response to "it's hardly surprising SI don't want to waste time with you" I think what you mean to say is its hardly surprising SI make no effort to sort this crappy sound out!

Making a statement has nothing what-so-ever to do with growing up so that statement is completely pointless and irrelevant.

Keep this on topic please or I'll be forced to close the thread. Not due to any criticisms, but because the thread should stay on topic.

J-P, if you wish to be critical of SI, please do so in the thread you have created. Hijacking other threads in this manner is not acceptable. Cheers.

I have added one player chant to the game. It plays about 2/3 of the time when that player scores a home goal...

Interesting. :)

Would you know what 'ID' I would need to use to get general chants into the game?

I've got lots of .wav files to use, I just think I must be using the wrong ID in the config file.

The Team Chants, according to the config notes are meant to be, for example:

SOUNDS_TEAM_CHANTS,

"fm_tm_703" 0,1,2,0

but how would I go about getting the general, random chants into the game, to play for all teams?

I've tried using the ID "SOUNDS_TEAM_CHANTS" and just using the same name as the wav file, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance if you (or anyone) can help. :)

Ok, thanks anyway for your reply.

I just hoped that someone from SI/Sega could spare a moment to tell me how to do it, as clearly they've put all these extra sound files into the sounds folder, but just not coded most of them into the game.

I'll keep my fingers crossed I guess. :)

http://football-manager-blog.blogspot.com/2008/11/football-manager-2009-sound-changer.html

I just downloaded this thirty seconds ago, so don't know how well it works, but it claims to add player and team chants for you - the layout's pretty simple, so give it a go. I've virus scanned it and nothing came up - so the worst that'll happen is you'll have the same sounds as you do now.

I would try it before posting, but, I'm having trouble finding sound packs and I don't have a game for a while anyway

I do think SI underestimate the impact of a good soundscape.

Sure, when we're between matches, we all play MP3s, etc, but during a match - well, face it, atmosphere is part of what draws us to football IRL. The more that the in-game soundscape can immerse us in that atmosphere, the more emotionally involved we will be in our matches.

http://football-manager-blog.blogspot.com/2008/11/football-manager-2009-sound-changer.html

I just downloaded this thirty seconds ago, so don't know how well it works, but it claims to add player and team chants for you - the layout's pretty simple, so give it a go. I've virus scanned it and nothing came up - so the worst that'll happen is you'll have the same sounds as you do now.

I would try it before posting, but, I'm having trouble finding sound packs and I don't have a game for a while anyway

That program just streamlines making the .xml for you. It will add the chants, but, like I said, team chants just don't work (for me) i.e. I never hear any. Player chants do work (again, for me), though, and an enterprising sound guy could replace the default loops with something else. But that's not me...

I do think SI underestimate the impact of a good soundscape.

Sure, when we're between matches, we all play MP3s, etc, but during a match - well, face it, atmosphere is part of what draws us to football IRL. The more that the in-game soundscape can immerse us in that atmosphere, the more emotionally involved we will be in our matches.

Spot on and very well expressed :thup:

Ok, for those with some interest in this area, I am pleased to say I have made a breakthrough. :)

The always helpful Mr. Murray's earlier input has been particularly valuable (thanks Michael) in my progress.

Taking the info/knowledge I was missing (editing of the 'match_sounds' CFG file in the Match Events folder) I have now been able to have some success in getting some chants and extra atmosphere into my game. :)

Thus far, I have been unable to get the command 'SOUND_CHANTS,' to produce any effect on the game, with one exception. The 'SOUND_TEAM_CHANTS' command, I have discovered will seem to allow just the one instance of a Team chant to be introduced for a team, using the code:

SOUND_TEAM_CHANT,

"FM_tm_600", 0, 1, 2, 0

The wav file 'FM_tm_600' is a generic chant ('FM_chant_3' for example) which I renamed to conform to the code (FM_tm_xxx) whereby xxx is replaced by the Team's ingame ID number. To make this work for you, drop a general chant .wav file into the default sound folder, and edit the match_sounds cfg file as exampled above, changing the team number to the ID of the team you are managing. You will obviously need to also rename the appropriate .wav file to conform to the edited code; again, FM_tm_600 for example.

Only issue so far is that the chant only seems to play once or occasionally twice in-game, despite my experiments with changing the "chance" field (the 3rd number in the above string of "0, 1, 2, 0"). Anyone know out of curiousity, what is the highest "chance" number the game will recognise?

However, what I have also seemingly discovered, is that whilst I have had no success in getting extra chants into the game by adding new command ID's, I have enjoyed some success in adding them by editing pre-existing commands in the cfg file. For example:

By copying and pasting the command:

SOUND_SEVERE_APPRECIATION,

"FM_crowd_push", 0, 1, 2, 0

and then editing it to:

"FM_chant_5", 0, 1, 2, 0

and dropping the .wav file "FM_chant_5" into the default sound folder, my fans will sing that chant at varying points when we are playing well, and they appreciate a good spell of dominance or a great move.

I have experimented with adding chants using this method (of editing pre-existing commands), for many other in-game instances, and am pleased to say that it works, to a certain degree.

Whereas previously (with the 07/08 sound packs for example) the chants would play as commands in their own right, basically I cannot get this to happen, but have had success in manipulating the code in the cfg file to add chants which will play as a result of certain on-field events, such as the above example, and instances such as a good build up, spells of pressure, encouragement etc.

I was also able to add other .wav files to add atmoshpere in places and swap some of the more mundane/poor quality sounds for some better ones, improving the sound of goal celebrations etc, adding foghorns, drums etc in places.

Suffice to say, that whilst this method does not produce a full enough range of additions to qualify for making it into/calling it a sound pack as such, it does, in my personal opinion, certainly at least add some element of increased enjoyment to my matchday experience; and is at least for me, an improvement.

I will continue to experiment, and let you know of any further developments.

In the time being, I shall leave you with what I have:

http://files.filefront.com/sounds+09rar/;13717976;/fileinfo.html

Please read the 'readme' document before extracting the rar, and ensure to make back up copies of your Sound and Match Events files as directed, before doing anything else.

Also, if following the earlier advice of michaelmurray, and doing your own experiments with the sounds in the rar file above, please feel free to add your own discoveries and progress to this topic, that we all may benefit from your work.

Thanks, and Kind Regards,

Benn.

Ok, for those with some interest in this area, I am pleased to say I have made a breakthrough. :)

The always helpful Mr. Murray's earlier input has been particularly valuable (thanks Michael) in my progress.

Taking the info/knowledge I was missing (editing of the 'match_sounds' CFG file in the Match Events folder) I have now been able to have some success in getting some chants and extra atmosphere into my game. :)

Thus far, I have been unable to get the command 'SOUND_CHANTS,' to produce any effect on the game, with one exception. The 'SOUND_TEAM_CHANTS' command, I have discovered will seem to allow just the one instance of a Team chant to be introduced for a team, using the code:

SOUND_TEAM_CHANT,

"FM_tm_600", 0, 1, 2, 0

The wav file 'FM_tm_600' is a generic chant ('FM_chant_3' for example) which I renamed to conform to the code (FM_tm_xxx) whereby xxx is replaced by the Team's ingame ID number. To make this work for you, drop a general chant .wav file into the default sound folder, and edit the match_sounds cfg file as exampled above, changing the team number to the ID of the team you are managing. You will obviously need to also rename the appropriate .wav file to conform to the edited code; again, FM_tm_600 for example.

Only issue so far is that the chant only seems to play once or occasionally twice in-game, despite my experiments with changing the "chance" field (the 3rd number in the above string of "0, 1, 2, 0"). Anyone know out of curiousity, what is the highest "chance" number the game will recognise?

However, what I have also seemingly discovered, is that whilst I have had no success in getting extra chants into the game by adding new command ID's, I have enjoyed some success in adding them by editing pre-existing commands in the cfg file. For example:

By copying and pasting the command:

"FM_crowd_push", 0, 1, 2, 0

and then editing it to:

"FM_chant_5", 0, 1, 2, 0

and dropping the .wav file "FM_chant_5" into the default sound folder, my fans will sing that chant at varying points when we are playing well, and they appreciate a good spell of dominance or a great move.

I have experimented with adding chants using this method (of editing pre-existing commands), for many other in-game instances, and am pleased to say that it works, to a certain degree.

Whereas previously (with the 07/08 sound packs for example) the chants would play as commands in their own right, basically I cannot get this to happen, but have had success in manipulating the code in the cfg file to add chants which will play as a result of certain on-field events, such as the above example, and instances such as a good build up, spells of pressure, encouragement etc.

I was also able to add other .wav files to add atmoshpere in places and swap some of the more mundane/poor quality sounds for some better ones, improving the sound of goal celebrations etc, adding foghorns, drums etc in places.

Suffice to say, that whilst this method does not produce a full enough range of additions to qualify for making it into/calling it a sound pack as such, it does, in my personal opinion, certainly at least add some element of increased enjoyment to my matchday experience; and is at least for me, an improvement.

I will continue to experiment, and let you know of any further developments.

In the time being, I shall leave you with what I have:

http://files.filefront.com/sounds+09rar/;13717976;/fileinfo.html

Please read the 'readme' document before extracting the rar, and ensure to make back up copies of your Sound and Match Events files as directed, before doing anything else.

Also, if following the earlier advice of michaelmurray, and doing your own experiments with the sounds in the rar file above, please feel free to add your own discoveries and progress to this topic, that we all may benefit from your work.

Thanks, and Kind Regards,

Benn.

Looks good, I'll give it a try :p

I've been complaining about the sound quality of the game for years. It really is a poor effort from SI to have the sounds at their current standard.

CM01/02 had better sounds and that is nearly a decade ago.

I remember watching the YouTube promo's about FM2009 a few months back, they were saying then sound would be an improved feature... I'm yet to hear it!

I've been complaining about the sound quality of the game for years. It really is a poor effort from SI to have the sounds at their current standard.

CM01/02 had better sounds and that is nearly a decade ago.

Here's why I think SI underestimate this: I've been in game development for a decade. There have been times where, working on a game, I've put in "hooks" for the sounds, but had only crummy placeholder sounds to play when those hooks get invoked. More than once, I've had a game which I had fairly playable, not polished yet, but thought to myself "Gah, this game just isn't fun, its going to suck." ... but then my producer delivers the sounds, connects them to the hooks I've left, and - even though there haven't been any other major changes in the next build, I found myself thinking "Oh, hey, this is a lot more fun."

I'm not saying sound can save a bad game .. but it can make a huge difference in the user's experience.

Here's why I think SI underestimate this: I've been in game development for a decade. There have been times where, working on a game, I've put in "hooks" for the sounds, but had only crummy placeholder sounds to play when those hooks get invoked. More than once, I've had a game which I had fairly playable, not polished yet, but thought to myself "Gah, this game just isn't fun, its going to suck." ... but then my producer delivers the sounds, connects them to the hooks I've left, and - even though there haven't been any other major changes in the next build, I found myself thinking "Oh, hey, this is a lot more fun."

I'm not saying sound can save a bad game .. but it can make a huge difference in the user's experience.

Spot on, i loved CM4, match experience was a big factor in that, FM 09 has had bad match experience, which has put me off playing the games.

I don't have data folder :S

Found it..

Got the sounds to work, in your read me file maybe you should say that if you have used steam to activate it then it will be in your steam folder! :thup:

I don't have data folder :S
downloading now!

where do i put it?

Navigate to the following location:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data

Make a back up copy of the "Sounds" and "Match Events" folders (which you will keep in a place of your choosing, outside of the main "Football Manager 2009" folder). That is very important, in case of any corruption. Not that I expect corruption to occur, but always better safe than sorry. ;)

Now 'unrar' and open the rar file you've downloaded, and read the "readme" file.

Then open the folder, "sounds09".

Next, right click and 'copy' the "Sounds" folder, and the "Match Events" folder, and 'paste' them into the folder mentioned above:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data

When prompted to overwrite existing files, select "yes to all". (Hence the need to make back ups first).

Follow the instructions in the 'readme' file, regarding sound options.

That's pretty much it; play, enjoy. :)

Again though, to prempt disappointment, I must stress that this is far from a finished article. I am by no means proficient or knowledgeable in this field, and am just doing my best from the info provided by michaelmurry, to make what improvements I can to the sound in our game.

The chants do not play particularly frequently, but for me at least, the little improvements I've been able to make, do at least make a small difference to my enjoyment.

I hope they do for you too.

I will let you know when further experimentation brings further rewards. :)

Agreed. The whole 'match day experience' is a fairly new feature on FM with 'in-game' decisions, team selection etc but yet the sound is constantly not deemed important enough to improve.

This isn't a cheap dig at SI either, just a general observation.

Hey

Cheers for this i am downloading it now

Is there actual team chants in this or is it just like better goal sounds and things

There are 'general chants' which appear for all teams when playing at home, and playing well, but as indicated, they do not play particularly often in the game.

It is possible to add actual team chants for specific teams, from the Sound file I included; although I have not coded them all in, as that would have taken some time, and I just wanted for now, to experiment whilst still playing my current save.

You can add them easily yourself though.

Find the in-game ID number for the team you want; then find the corresponding .wav file chant in the included Sound folder, for example, if you wanted "oh when the Saints go marching in, it would be:

"FM_tm_713".

You put that file into the "Default" folder, within the Sounds folder, and then open the 'match_sounds' file in the "Match Events" folder (open with notepad). Scroll down to near the end, and find the "SOUND_TEAM_CHANT" section.

Then input the code:

SOUND_TEAM_CHANT,

"FM_tm_713", 0, 1, 2, 0

(and don't forget to save it).

There are many team's chants in that sound file, but you would need to follow the process I just outlined, to get them into your game, as I've not had the free time to do so. But I have provided the tools for you to do so if you like. :)

OK

i have downloaded and extracted, its in the correct folder (data) but i have a problem.

the sound is still just FM 09 original?

what am i doing wrong?

cheers.

Don't think you've done anything wrong. As I've tried to indicate, this is not exactly a 'professional' job I've done. ;)

Just doing the best I can.

The background sound is the same, and the only way so far I've found I could get the general chants into the game, is to attach them to match events. So basically, your team need to be doing things well that the crowd appreciate, to get the occasional chants coming through. Sometimes I only get one or two a game, sometimes more. There seems a certain element of 'randomness' in the game picking them up, and I seem to get more when playing at home.

As for the team chants, you will need find out the ID number of the team you're managing (goto preferences\display and sound\ and click to "show IDs"). Then open the "match_sounds.cfg" file in the Match Events folder. Scroll down to near the end, and find where I have the code:

SOUND_TEAM_CHANT,

"FM_tm_600", 0, 1, 5, 0

SOUND_TEAM_CHANT,

"FM_tm_600.wav", 0, 1, 5, 0

then, just edit the "600" part (Bournemouth) to the ID number for your team.

Now find the corresponding .wav files in the default sounds folder, "FM_tm_600" and "FM_tm_600.wav",and rename them replacing the '600' with the number of your team.

That should make the chant appear for your team once or twice when playing at Home.

Please remember that this is a very basic attempt at a work in progress, and as I say, much work needs to be done to find a way of increasing the regularity of the chanting. :)

Archived