Problems I found when coaching national teams

I love to coach national teams and play the World Cup/Euro. Till now I played France, Portugal, Holland, Russia, Mexico, Germany. But there are some major bugs causing the game both unrealistic and not exciting.

1 Injury This is a major bug in fm 2009 and SI did not fix it through 3 patchs, too many injuries in World Cups because you have to play 7 games max in 1 month,and almost all of them are very important and may get into OT, it's very easy to lose 5 players just after group stage. And if a player get injured for 2-3 weeks, that means he can almost say goodbye to World Cup

2 Set pieces too effective, including throw in corner, direct free kick and free kick near the corner line. In World Cup the keepers are usually very good, able to save most of the close shots. Set pieces then become THE MOST effective way to grab a goal, almost 50% of the goals come from that. I know in real life it's a good way to score in the World Cup, but not that effective. I experienced dozens of matches like that, when I am controling the game trying to get a goal, suddenly my opponent got a set piece and score, then the AI keeper can easily save most of my shots, without a player with good long shot or set piece luck, it's freaking hard to score in World Cup. This also happens in my victories.

3 Long Shots, it's way too effecitve than close shots in the World Cup and like the set pieces, there is almost no way to shut it down in with the tactic settings. Especially play with Portugal and Italy, players like Deco, Veloso,Aquilani and De Rossi had deadly long strikes, and they had very high chances to score when you are shutting down their team's other attacking methods. When I am playing Portugal, after 1/4 final, almost all of my goals(10 total) came from set pieces and long shots. 2 corners scored by CR and Bruno, 1 id set pieces scored by Almeida, 2 long shots and 2 direct free kicks, both scored by Veloso. Think about it, you can't do much about set pieces and long shots, the setting does not help much, that means lots of the games are based simply on luck, will that be interesting?

I don't really play International football on FM, but I can see number 1 being a big problem for people managing in international tournaments. I am not too sure about number 2 and number 3 (I am not saying that you are lying), it just seems that not too many people encounter this sort of problem after 9.3.0 at club level - so I am wondering why it would happen at International level.

issue 1 is obviously because players take time to recover between games and so unless you rotate, which is difficult to do if you have two hard games in the groups then you end up with players having to start games under 90% and therefore prone to injury

Archived