did a former player of the club you manage ever defeated you as a manager

in my game it happened in the semi-final of the championsleague. the guy (arthur metz) had a good career ( dutch international, stayed with ajax all the time), and then decided to become a manager. after a couple of years arsenal offered him the job to manage them. met them in the semi-final of the champions league. it didnt end very well for me 4-1 and 1-1. i got kicked out of the cup, and arsenal won it that year. altough i was ****ed that he defeated me, it was also nice to see. student defeats teacher.

anyone has similar experiences?

I've only encountered 1, oddly enough, and he was rubbish anyway (as a goalkeeper and a manager). He's in charge of Parma and they're one of the various teams I start at all-out-attack upon. And yes, I do win.

Things might change, though, as Cristiano Ronaldo is now in charge of Sporting CP and they're in the Champions League, although not in my group. Not that I think they'll be much of a big deal either, looking at their squad (although they are a grey team).

anyone has similar experiences?

Yep....As manager of Milan I convinced Gianluca Zambrotta he'd be a decent coach, he retired from playing and became my (6 star) ball control coach. I left Milan to manage Man City and we had to play Milan in the CL last 16 and guess who was now their full time manager....yep none other than my protige Zambrotta who proceeded to dump us out of the CL 5-2 on aggregate.:(

the worst thing i forgot to mention, the kid had a fairly poor opinion about me. the manager that made him an international, he won the championsleague with, and was captain for 5 seasons. never complained about me, i was never in the disliked peoplr list...

i was burnley manager for 7 years and took them to the prem title in my last year at the club, i got sacked from them for issueing the ultimatem for stadium expansion, ...

i had a year out of the game before being offerd the liverpool job,took it and began to build A team again. i hired john terry as a coach and gave him responsibility of the reserve team,,,...

2 years later burnley hire JT as manager and since then they've become a great side. hard working great defence and always seem to beat me, but not in the F.A cup final when we destroyed them 5-1 , ive since started a new game in bulgaria and am having extreme fun :D

Not been beaten by a former player yet but Ljungberg came very close when he went to manage liverpool. They had gone into administration, lost their best players and were already after about 10 games in 9 points behind at the bottom of the table. They took ljungberg from my backroom to be manager, he got them back in touching distance quite quickly and despite having the worst defense in the league they held my team all game around the 31/32 games in mark, anyway in the 80th minute they scored and it was ruled out for offside. Game ended 0-0 and liverpool were relegated at the end of the season only a couple of points off safety.

Any ex-player of mine who retires that I'm aware of and becomes backroom staff I sign, this is helped by having an enormous staff limit but a few are dotted around the national teams I've managed in switzerland, portugal and brazil.

Archived