Keeping him in the game.

When player's reach 30 and tell you whether they're going to stay in the game or not, if it's a player you like an he's saying "probably won't stay in the game." do you comment what a good manager/scout/coach he would make? if you do it enough they will change their mind and stay in the game. did it loads of FM08, had a legendary defence with two world class centre backs that had been in the team since 18. Niether of them wanted to stay in the game, now one of them is my assistant the other a decent enough scout.

if they have "definetely not staying in the game" can you still change there minds?

Worked for me with Robbie Fowler. Brought him for tutoring purposes, although he grabbed two first team goals, his status was "definitely not staying in the game", by the time he announced he was retiring, he had a staff profile, which had a full bar for manager and a bit for ass manager.

Unfortunately somehow I deleted my game.

if they have "definetely not staying in the game" can you still change there minds?

Yep, just takes longer. I think the only thing that is impossible is getting somebody to do one job when they've already decided on another.

I try to get all of my players into management, just because it's fun watching ex-players' careers pan out in management.

I've always got a Man Utd save on the go, which after a point becomes slightly boring because I'm winning everything with ease, so my "challenge" if you will, is trying to build a complete coaching staff of former players. It's not too hard to do with coaches, assistants, first team coaches, youth coaches and fitness coaches, but very difficult to do with scouts and physios.

I think the only thing that is impossible is getting somebody to do one job when they've already decided on another.

I try to get all of my players into management, just because it's fun watching ex-players' careers pan out in management.

But then, that begs the question of how the game calculates a retiring player's staff attributes and whether you should be able to tell in advance what staff role a player would be good for. I've occasionally told a player he should do what he's thinking about doing, but I've never had reason to tell him to do something else, because how would I know he'd be better at that other thing than the thing he's talking about?

But then, that begs the question of how the game calculates a retiring player's staff attributes and whether you should be able to tell in advance what staff role a player would be good for. I've occasionally told a player he should do what he's thinking about doing, but I've never had reason to tell him to do something else, because how would I know he'd be better at that other thing than the thing he's talking about?

It's just that sometimes when a player wants to become a scout and, I know that I won't use him as a scout, I try to tell him that he'd be a good manager as it would be better to see him go on to manage a team than disappear into another team's scouting staff.

I meant more the impossibility of getting someone to change when they've definitely decided; it strikes me as unlikely that the game would lead every retiring player to make the choice that's most appropriate to their eventual attributes, so it would be nice to be able to look at a player and have a shot at evaluating what he'd be best at. The options in the interaction vaguely suggest attributes that might be important, but it's hardly explicit.

ive noticed that when you get a player who says there staying in the game the more you play them the older they get the better there stats become as a staff member. e.g john terry played every game for chelsea up untill he broke his leg at age 35 and retired, he was a member of my coaching staff a year later looking after the reserves. 1 year later my old club burnley poached him away to be manager and omg are burnley flying at the moment.

i thinks games played after 30-32 is a factor in how good there stats will be as a staff member

i think if you have players with high anticipation and decisions they may become good scouts

i had a decisive left bk play for me for many years , when he reached 30 his profile said 2probly not ganna stay in the game" i kept telling hi, he'd make a good scout and hey presto 8 years and a couple of clubs later he is back with me as my lead scout

pysio no idea... although lee bowyer is the pysio at birmingham , hes not very good but he's the only former player i can remembr who went into that proffesion

btw jaime carragher makes a good fitness coach ;)

Archived