Goalkeeper scores on debut - from a Goal Kick!

• Administrators

It's rare that I ever really post a topic, but what happened just now was so good and rare I thought I'd share.

In my 4th Season with San Marino - second season now in Serie B. After two successive promotions I'm now struggling to establish myself in the division.

On Deadline Day in 2012 (January window) I received an offer for my 33 year old goalkeeper who was due to expire the following season who I'd only signed in the summer - I couldn't really refuse, twice his value and I immediately accepted. Luckily my scouts had picked out a good young San Marinese GK regen and an ageing former Italian international at 40 years of age.

Snapped them both up, and promoted my reserve GK who was my first choice the first season into the first team squad to give me a bit of a selection dilemma ahead of the first game.

I decided, despite my assistant's advice, to pick the 40 year old over my reserve GK (who was deemed better and deserves games because I may need him next season now and he needs a new contract) for the first game.

Fighting for a win to keep pace against the drop, I'm 2-0 up against Frosinone, when I have a Goal Kick, and the old legend smacks it and it bounces over his opposite number and he scores on his debut.

A proud moment. I have saved a series of screenshots if you don't believe - but I have cut out any mention of player names. Shall save the .pkm though, a proud goal and one to treasure.

Think he may cement his place in the XI with that one!

-----

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them with a goalie - total flukes?

Haha nice.. thats one way to make a name for yourself. Bet he'l be a fans favourite with that.

Not had my keeper score yet for me, by LB dribbled through my half, he went to pass the ball but it hit a midfielder and bounced away, he chased it as it passed 4/5 players into the box where he belted it only for it to hit the crossbar... luckily my striker was there to pounce on the rebound and put it away. Thats probably the weirdest thing i've seen so far lol.

A goal kick is not indirect for the intent of a goal for - should the keeper manage this impressive feat the goal will stand. For the purposes of an own goal, a goal will not be conceded if the goalkeeper (or another player taking the kick for that matter) directly plays the ball from the goal kick into their own goal. As someone else pointed out, a corner will be awarded if this was to happen.

Archived