Does your club ever pay off loans beforehand if they've got the cash?

Say I want to get rid of malcolm glazers Man United £256M debt, which is due to get ridden of in 2045 according to my game! Im some seasons inte this Man Utd save and have loads of cash, like £200M in the balance, and I wonder if its possible that the board pays the loan off when I get more? Or will the loan continue to drag on regardless of how well filled the clubs coffers are?

This is on FM07 but should be relevant for FM09 as well.

afaik the repayments for a loan are fixed in amount and frequency, not 100% certain though so could be wrong but I think the date given at the game's start is the date it will be repaid in full regardless of your bank balance.

If we've got the money and can pay it off it would be hugely annoying to have such a long standning loan.. If it's not in the game now it certainly should be added! whether its a board request or the board do it themselves when you've got enough money.. It shouldn't be as random or hard as getting a new stadium is right now.

I have seen loans paid off by the board due to bank balance, so it is possible.

Unforunately it's a random event (maybe based on chairman stats)

It really shouldn't be random.. If a club has a long loan they were able to pay off they would certainly do that asap..

Would be nice to hear some info from SI on how it really works!

Ive had a loan wiped off before, did a AFC Wimbledon save which lasted about 22 seasons in which i had two takeovers. After the first takeover the new chairman built a new stadium but that was being paid with by a load. About 8-10 seasons later i got another takeover, this time it was a tycoon and he cleared the loan debt :thup:

I've not seen it happen just in the course of things (and remember, a real lender would charge penalties for early repayment) but I did have a £7.5m loan paid off by a consortium takeover (good thing too, if they'd made the debt bigger I would have quit there and then!)

Archived