Does anyone even use the 3D match engine?

Even though it is possible to switch to the 2D engine this 3D thing is so basic that I have completely lost my appetite for the game. I am interested in getting an idea of the proportion of people who actually use the 3D engine. I think the game should have come with an option to not install the 3D engine as I am assuming this is a major reason the game is slower than previous versions.

I love the 3D view and use it for every match. I'm not sure I'd like it as much if it had complex graphics, the simplicity appeals to me in the same way the old 2D view did.

You don't think it would be great to have FIFA/PES level of graphics in FM? I like the 2d dots O.K as I'm used ot them, but smooth 3d would be amazing to watch. Is the limitation on graphics because as the graphics get better more cpu/ram is needed for the match engine?

3D for me. I only started playing this title with FM 08 and was strongly in favour of upping the match graphics. This is better than I expected. Still more room for improvement (as you say, the 'slow down' seems worse this version than 08.

Still didn't stop me from jumping from my seat and pumping my fist when that little red & white circle with #9 on it would race past the defenders and lob the white pixel over the other multi coloured circle!

(Omar Bravo wore #9 for the Chivas)

I was quite happy using 3D now I'm on 9.3 (there were a few things about 9.1's match engine that made for some frustrating viewing, but not so much now), but for some reason I've it's suddenly become jerky, so I've had to switch back to 2D.

I was quite happy using 3D now I'm on 9.3 (there were a few things about 9.1's match engine that made for some frustrating viewing, but not so much now), but for some reason I've it's suddenly become jerky, so I've had to switch back to 2D.

Did you try disabling the sky & stadium? I did that for mine and seems to have helped performance without sacrificing a lot of visual appeal.

3d is WAY better than 2D. It is a great step in the right direction.

Also the potential is HUGE for making something that could be extremely cool. Right now the players move a bit jerky and don't have many animations. If the play could be made fluent and a LOT more animations (100s) could be added, it would be unreal.

I like the 3D just fine. Gives me a better sense of what's going on.

I'm curious what camera angles people use. I've only been able to use elevated. The others swivel around to much and don't give as good a view of the action for me.

I was the same but after giving the corner view a couple of games I find it easier to monitor tactics and the goals look awesome. Takes a couple of games to get used to though.

Can't you get a cheap graphics card to stick in your computer?

no idea, i really know not much about hardware but i assume so. is it just as simple as plug in and install the drivers? i grudge taking it to the shop to do it when i dont drive. any suggestions on brand/model?

Always use 3D, although the game engine reflects realism quite badly at times ie.. strange dwellin of the ball etc. It's just because the 3D engine is new and the oddness isn't visable on the 2D mode. Once more detail is put into the 3D engine it'll be a clear choice winner for anybody with a decent pc.

Still can't beat watching fouled players hit the floor face first like they've been shot in the back though :D

Archived