have SI been sneaky or what?

iv'e been racking my brains all night over this and for the life of me can not come up with anything has to why this has happend.

like most fm2008 players i was playing 8.01 untill 8.02 came out on the 4th of feb.i downloaded it and and installed it over 8.01 (updated it).so i started a brand new game with my new patch and i found there was a big change in the match engine 'in my oppinion' i was scoring a stupid ammount of goals and conceding just has many.my defenders were scoring way too many goals from corners and this made me mad because id been waiting for a while for 8.02.so after a moan on this forum i decided to uninstall the whole game and start again with 8.01.i might add i deleted the 8.02 patch.

so ive been playing with 8.01 for say three weeks and this just made my blood boil over.why because of the shot to goal ratio 'bug'.

so im sat at my computer last night about nine o'clock and decided because i could'nt get on with any of the patches i decided to go down my local tesco's and buy fm2007.in fact i was peed off with the whole thing i decided i was going to give my copy of fm2008 away.

so i installed fm2007 'which i hadnt played for ages' and has soon has i loaded it up i hated it.

there was no way i could go back to this after playing fm08.so now im really cheesed off because iv'e got two copys of fm and carnt play any.

so what i decided to do after much debating was to download the 8.02 patch and give it another go.there was no way in a million years i could do without playing the game it love be a love hate thing.

so i install the patch again 'update' over 8.01 and start a brand new game.and to my amazement it was totally diffrent.i chose arsenal and i could'nt score a goal no matter how much i tried and conceding one was a thing of the past. i never change my tatics once while doing all this so it could'nt be that so what the heck is going on?

theory one: there has been alot of talk on this forum about if you install the 8.02 patch over 8.01 and continue a saved game then you will exsperience what i did so they think. but to my knowledge i didnt do anything diffrent from the first time i installed the patch and aways started a new game.

theory two: si kinda knew there was a problem with the scores and admited to themselves that they had messed up abit so without telling anyone they went about changing the match engine again and releasing a new patch under its old name. those who had already downloaded the patch are stuck with it and anyone new to downloading the patch wouldnt know any diffrent.

i have no proof to these theorys or evidence these are just my strong thoughts.

now i know things have changed within three weeks but your guess is has good has mine has to what.could si be conspiring against us all or do i need to take extra tables.

your thoughts would be goood

thanks

magnoliadave

iv'e been racking my brains all night over this and for the life of me can not come up with anything has to why this has happend.

like most fm2008 players i was playing 8.01 untill 8.02 came out on the 4th of feb.i downloaded it and and installed it over 8.01 (updated it).so i started a brand new game with my new patch and i found there was a big change in the match engine 'in my oppinion' i was scoring a stupid ammount of goals and conceding just has many.my defenders were scoring way too many goals from corners and this made me mad because id been waiting for a while for 8.02.so after a moan on this forum i decided to uninstall the whole game and start again with 8.01.i might add i deleted the 8.02 patch.

so ive been playing with 8.01 for say three weeks and this just made my blood boil over.why because of the shot to goal ratio 'bug'.

so im sat at my computer last night about nine o'clock and decided because i could'nt get on with any of the patches i decided to go down my local tesco's and buy fm2007.in fact i was peed off with the whole thing i decided i was going to give my copy of fm2008 away.

so i installed fm2007 'which i hadnt played for ages' and has soon has i loaded it up i hated it.

there was no way i could go back to this after playing fm08.so now im really cheesed off because iv'e got two copys of fm and carnt play any.

so what i decided to do after much debating was to download the 8.02 patch and give it another go.there was no way in a million years i could do without playing the game it love be a love hate thing.

so i install the patch again 'update' over 8.01 and start a brand new game.and to my amazement it was totally diffrent.i chose arsenal and i could'nt score a goal no matter how much i tried and conceding one was a thing of the past. i never change my tatics once while doing all this so it could'nt be that so what the heck is going on?

theory one: there has been alot of talk on this forum about if you install the 8.02 patch over 8.01 and continue a saved game then you will exsperience what i did so they think. but to my knowledge i didnt do anything diffrent from the first time i installed the patch and aways started a new game.

theory two: si kinda knew there was a problem with the scores and admited to themselves that they had messed up abit so without telling anyone they went about changing the match engine again and releasing a new patch under its old name. those who had already downloaded the patch are stuck with it and anyone new to downloading the patch wouldnt know any diffrent.

i have no proof to these theorys or evidence these are just my strong thoughts.

now i know things have changed within three weeks but your guess is has good has mine has to what.could si be conspiring against us all or do i need to take extra tables.

your thoughts would be goood

thanks

magnoliadave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

I still have the first 8.02 patch and I am not experiencing the too many goals problem. I am basically winning every game 2-0 or 3-0. My defence is as solid as a rock and I am still unbeaten. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you notice the diffrence between 8.01 and 8.02. big difrence in my oppinion.

using the 8.02 patch reseleased on the 4th of feb then the 'so called same patch' on the 29th of feb are ment to be the same but there not there is a very big diffrence.

must be a feb 29th voodo thing

thanks

magnoliadave

I must admit, i have rarely experienced any of the so called 'bugs' and issues that people post here, and usually avoid any threads that suggest so as i really enjoy the game not knowing half of these supposed issues.

but the goal difference is a noticable one for me. The last four games for me have been 4-6, 4-7, 1-2, 4-0.

Yes yes, tactics etc..., Ilove the tactics, but pre patch the scores were not this extreme. I don't really mind, because i read a 6-4 scoreline as a 2-1 anyway, but it is a little strange. I just know not to get too excited if we are 2-0 up at half time, as there are most likey going to be another 5 goals scored next half.

So Magnolia dave, are you suggesting, based on your experience, that if i was to uninstall the game, and then re install with patch .02 that the issue subsides somewhat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtuck01:

Well, the original 8.0.2 was actually released on the 14th of February, not the 4th. And the re-release of the patch came on the 20th of February.

Maybe thats where you're going wrong. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good point but not logic i just got my dates messed up sorry for that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danmanisa:

I must admit, i have rarely experienced any of the so called 'bugs' and issues that people post here, and usually avoid any threads that suggest so as i really enjoy the game not knowing half of these supposed issues.

but the goal difference is a noticable one for me. The last four games for me have been 4-6, 4-7, 1-2, 4-0.

Yes yes, tactics etc..., Ilove the tactics, but pre patch the scores were not this extreme. I don't really mind, because i read a 6-4 scoreline as a 2-1 anyway, but it is a little strange. I just know not to get too excited if we are 2-0 up at half time, as there are most likey going to be another 5 goals scored next half.

So Magnolia dave, are you suggesting, based on your experience, that if i was to uninstall the game, and then re install with patch .02 that the issue subsides somewhat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i was you i would uninstall the game then istall patch 8.01 then 8.02 and im sure you will see a diffrence.

and if all goes well then theres somthing fishy going on imo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by magnoliadave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

I still have the first 8.02 patch and I am not experiencing the too many goals problem. I am basically winning every game 2-0 or 3-0. My defence is as solid as a rock and I am still unbeaten. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you notice the diffrence between 8.01 and 8.02. big difrence in my oppinion.

using the 8.02 patch reseleased on the 4th of feb then the 'so called same patch' on the 29th of feb are ment to be the same but there not there is a very big diffrence.

must be a feb 29th voodo thing

thanks

magnoliadave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

must edit this i know there was a re'release on the 20th but there was no talk from si that things had changed only the defoe problem it was just an update and all i did yesterday was download the same patch has befor so why the big diffrence.

sorry for my spelling its very late

thanks

magnoliadave

same here.

There was no scoring bug. It was your tactics. icon_wink.gif

OK, I hate to be labeled a conspiracy nut, but I think something WAS tweaked on the second 802 release. They definitely removed the Vaseline from the goalies' gloves. It could be coincidence that it was the same weekend I decided to work hard on my tactics using a "dummy" game that I started purely for that reason. Came back to my saved game AFTER installing the second 802 patch and mucking around with tactics, and my scores are way more realistic.

In fact, was so happy, I started a new Leeds game. These are my results so far. Just lost to Forest. Have Stancu and Phillips up front.

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leedsresultswj4.jpg

Unless I'm just great icon_cool.gif

I think you are being paranoid.

I installed patch 8.0.2 over the top of patch 8.0.1 and I found a whole new game. Not too many goals and not too few goals. My strikers goals were not always run-through's on goal has they had been in the past; I score interesting and varied goals. I have never experienced any of these so called 'corner' bugs. IT is back to the old fun that FM used to be.

As I posted in your other post on exactly the same topic I was in the same position as you before the 8.0.2 patch. I was not in love with the game I had enjoyed for so many years. I was fed up with seeing the loads of goals I experienced with 8.0.0 and 8.0.1 and was thinking of going back to 07 or even playing CM.

When I posted about the goals issue on these boards (as a concerned query rather than a paranoid rant) SI replied with a statistical breakdown of goals in their test games. There was nothing untoward and I found that to be the case when I played the new patch.

But I downloaded the 8.0.2 patch and am very impressed with the way FM have turned the game around.

I understand there will always be bugs, but some of you are getting paranoid about this. You almost expect to find bugs and any small thing you do find you then extrapolate into a game threatening condition.

There is no need to post multiple threads on the same subject as if you believe that it may get you noticed. Add to your previous thread, or are you worried that it turned into a vendetta against your unfounded claims?

Quit the jabbering and play the game. If SI have a game in a good state and I (plus many other users) have a game in a good state then what are you doing to change that? If you are concerned about something then post a reasonable message rather than a paranoid. It is then more likely to get attention from the people that matter.

If your claims are reasonable then they will work on it to make things better for FM09. They won't work on accusations about their agenda.

I've never had this scoring bug. I've had high scoring games sure, but not consistently, not in the level some of you are having.

Might be more a problem with your defence being crap and your opponents defence being crap, or perhaps both of your attacking styles are too good for each other?

There are reasons why you get high scoring games other than the game having bugs remember.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If that corner "bug" is making your game "unplayable", why don't you change what you do on corners so you don't get so many goals from corners, or is that too logical or inconvenient? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive said this before in another discussion and I'll say it once more.

It doesnt really make the game unplayable, it's just stupid that I have to sabotage my own tactics (that I know will increase the opportunity of me winning) in order to help the AI generate a 'realistic' set of results.

I haven't played many games on 8.0.2 and am still using the original 8.0.2, but I haven't expirienced a goals problem. I've played two different saves and in roughly 8 games and have only conceded 1 goal. If you want to stop conceding I would reccomend low closing down on CM's and have them tight and man marking, I'm doing this in a Mourinho style 4-3-3 and it's working brilliantly.

There was a re-release to fix some data issues. No match engine changes were made.

The basic problem is, you over-reacted in getting rid of FM2008 previously, and now you've paid for it, feel like an idiot, so you are trying to find someone else to blame.

Don't worry, you're only human!

Wait, wait..you're scoring 2 or 3 goals every game and you don't think there are too many goals being scored?

magnoliadave -

The theories you've provided are unfounded and not correct.

The answer is quite simple really. Everybody plays differently and no two games will pan out entirely the same, even if you tried to do everything the same way including managing the same teams.

Football is a subjective sport and recreating and simulating that in a computer game is a difficult task. There is a lot of work involved and is tricky to get right when you have so many levels of football and styles.

We do our best to continuously improve the match engine and every change we make can potentially cause the whole engine to become unbalanced for some of those different aspects mentioned above.

We spend as much time as we can tuning and refining the match engine with each and every change we make, but it's a long process and we analyse statistics over a period of time from within the game versus real world data to help us shape that balance. That sometimes leads us to having overall statistics that look great, but that doesn't always mean it *feels* right when you watch the match engine and again, that's something we try to improve with each and every release.

How about u guys making an effort to revamp the transfer market engine ??? If that was done, im sure SI would regain a few million lost customers for FM09...

Just ****es me off everytime when AI teams can buy stars without paying 3-5 times over the listed value of the players BUT SOMEHOW WE HUMAN PLAYERS HAVE TO!!!!! Selling players is also so difficult... no one will even buy stars offered for free.

Some work to do for FM09 i believe...

"a few million lost customers"

I think you are sliiiightly over egging it there. Im not sure FM has actually 'lost' millions of customers, and even if it had I doubt all of them would come running back because of one feature change

I'd Just like to say that why is everyone complaining about the amount of goals in a game

look at all the english leagues this season and all of the results,for example take yesterdays epl games Chelsea4-0 Birmingham4-1 Manu3-0

SoStopMoaning

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakers:

Wait, wait..you're scoring 2 or 3 goals every game and you don't think there are too many goals being scored? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ever thought I have a very good team? I am Inter Milan first season and its far to easy. I haven't managed a big team in ages and was surprised at how I never eve look like losing let alone drawing or even conceding a goal. I will have a look later at how many I have conceded...wouldnt be many.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Manumoss:

I'd Just like to say that why is everyone complaining about the amount of goals in a game

look at all the english leagues this season and all of the results,for example take yesterdays epl games Chelsea4-0 Birmingham4-1 Manu3-0

SoStopMoaning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Manumoss, those who are experiencing the 'too many goals' issue, such as myself, are not moaning about scorlines of 4-0, 3-0.

Many of my games are coming out as 7-4, 6-4, 5-5 etc... with the odd (one in 7 or 8 matches) 2-1. Nil alls are unheard of since the 8.02 patch for me.

I don't believe it is a 'game breaker' as such, as i guess we could just argue that 7-4 is the same as 3-1 i guess, but it has changed the game drastically for me. I mean, if you were 3-0 at half time, you would guess that more often than not (of course there will always be exceptions) you would win the game or at worst, draw. Yes, stranger things have happened irl, and we love the fact that the game can turn out some amazing upsets and comebacks just like real life. but after the latest edition of the patch, i was finding that any team 3-0 up at half time was like being 1-0 up, as at least another 3 goals were going to be scored for sure.

I agree with you, in real life scores can be all over the place. I found pre 8.02, these results were similar, with your usuals, and then once a round or so a nice goal fest.

As stated, not everyone seems to be effected, and i have never been effected by any other bug, quirck or glitch with the game, but on this occassion I have found it more enjoyable going back to 8.01. Not moaning, just find it more enjoyable there....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakers:

Wait, wait..you're scoring 2 or 3 goals every game and you don't think there are too many goals being scored? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ever thought I have a very good team? I am Inter Milan first season and its far to easy. I haven't managed a big team in ages and was surprised at how I never eve look like losing let alone drawing or even conceding a goal. I will have a look later at how many I have conceded...wouldnt be many. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scoring 2-3 goals a game is the average for me as well and it was pre patch also.

Goals Per Game - 2.2

Conceded per game - 0.9

Yellows - 0.9

Reds - 0.2

Goals Per Game - 2.7

Conceded per game - 0.5

Yellows - 0.5

Reds - 0.2

Yes there was a slight rise but TBH I think this is more to do with the fact that I didn't purchase anyone in the summer and my team is turning into a very very good team.

I've conceded only 3 goals in 17 games in the Bundesliga, haven't lost, this may seem strange but it is quite a weak league and I have by far the best team and strongest defence. Compare it to the CL where I came 3rd in my group after being hammered 4-0 away to Man Utd, 2-0 at home against Man Utd and 3-0 away at CSKA Moscow. Add this to a first knockout round exit last season and it would appear that whilst my team look indestructible in the league and the game looks too easy, my European form is disastrous and shows that it aint that easy.

0-0's are few and far between but they are IRL as well (in the context of following one single team) and as for the amount of goals per game, Manchester United have scored 4 times against their opponents 11 times this season. In game I have scored 4 times only 15 times in 3 seasons.

Archived