Tactic Tester

Would it be possible to add in future versions a Tactic Tester?

This would allow us to play matches and test tactics without having to play the game. The Tactic Tester would be in the Sports Interactive folder. It would allow us to set all kinds of different values (like opponent team and tactic as well as pitch size, level of gelling in the team, etc) and to play single matches. Nothing else.

Could end with some of the frustration in the game. Players would be able to try all different kinds of tactics and have a better feeling to how the match engine works and the consequences of the various slides.

You could even make multiple tactics running at the same time. Like two exactly alike tactics on the exact same situation, but in one tactic the tempo is slow and in the other is quick. And then see the final results and overall performance of the team and the differences of playing quick or slow in that kind of situation.

:)

Don't think that's the way to go. One player's injury or sending off would probably throw away all the info you managed to gather from this. It's no more than play the game and reload and play it again. Find your best players, set a tactic out from what you got and start playing. Frustrating results are part of the game and you'll then have new players coming in and you need to find the way they perform best. Just like in real life.

Interesting idea, though, but I'm not for it.

I actually think this a decent idea, to test howthe match engine reacts to lots of tweaks, to say "this is what friendlies are for" is true to an extent, but i believe this would enable the user to see exactly what works and how, for instance you could select tactic tester and have all teams avaialable and no injuries or suspensions! imo.

The best way to replicate this now is to start the game with 2 managers and set up 7 or 8 friendlies between the 2 teams and either resign one or go on holiday.

When you are playing as Man Utd or Milan... yours pre seaeon friendlies are agenst 3 league clubs so even if your tactics is realy bad you will still win.

It is possible to choose your own friendly opponents. You could play against your reserves and control both teams.

So do you mean like a simulator, where say you load up a tactic from in game then in the simulator select your team and opponents and then choose how many times you want the game to be played, say 30 times against the same opponent with the same team using the same tactic with the same team linups, and the results come back as 15 wins, 5 draws and 10 losses from the 30 games played for example?

Why is everyone so quick to shoot an idea down because it is 'unrealistic'? Especially when you do not have to use it! Just get a grip and stop slamming every idea.

I, for one, would quite enjoy having a little feature like this. I find the match engine very confusing and it would help me get a hold on the game again.

Why is everyone so quick to shoot an idea down because it is 'unrealistic'? Especially when you do not have to use it! Just get a grip and stop slamming every idea.

I, for one, would quite enjoy having a little feature like this. I find the match engine very confusing and it would help me get a hold on the game again.

I completely agree, He had an idea, that I don't think is that bad, obviously it would be more like FMRTE or the scouting one but its still a good idea.

I completely agree, He had an idea, that I don't think is that bad, obviously it would be more like FMRTE or the scouting one but its still a good idea.

Yes, people would enjoy it and it may be worth the efforts for SI!

People need to stop shooting down idea's like they are a sniper because it is make this forum really depressing.

Apparently this sort of thing is available for Championship Manager 2009. They are implementing a "feature" in which you can view training matches and set-piece training in a match engine style. How good it will actually be is anyone's guess.

Although the idea by Matapatos, be it original or taken from the CM09 concept, seems fairly reasonable, I doubt it would be a feature of any great benefit to the FM series. As others have said, you always have the option to use friendlies as a yardstick when you want to see the effects of different tactics.

The other thing for me, is that I doubt that anyone would gain anything from it in particular. It's not as if you "know" the detailed specifics of the AI managers tactics, other than the formation and a little information given by the scout reports. You can of course watch your next opponents previous match, but even then, they may take an entirely different approach with different opponents, such as your own team. For example, think about times when you see scout reports that say something like "xxxx normally play a 4-4-2 formation, but against xxxx played 4-3-3".

You could literally be in tinkerman's heaven prior you your top of the table clash with Arsenal, thinking you know what Mr. Wenger is going to do and "perfect" your tactic for the game with a training match ME representation, only for Mr. Wenger to use a completely different formation and approach. What would your hours of training match tinkering have acheived? Nothing!

So, for me I think something like might be a nice feature insofar as the feeling of additional interaction is concerned. Unfortunately though, I believe it would only lead to additional confusion for the average FM'er and wouldn't really offer any enduring benefit other than giving the user perhaps more understanding of their own tactics and settings.

As I've said though, it's already possible to do this with pre-season friendlies, plus if you want to examine your own tactics in more detail, for example trying different passing and tempo styles to "view" the difference, then you can always manage some of your reserves and youth team matches. After all, they're in reality no more than glorified training matches themselves right?

I've being trawling this site for a while now picking up tips here and there and this is the first time I've been tempted into replying.

I think thats a great idea! If it was a tester it could allow red cards and injurys to be ignored if you choose WIB. And Jackarm; I'm all for realism but this is a game. I shouldn't have to start numerous games before I feel comfortable with my tactic if I don't have to.

I like the idea of running numerous tactics and seeing the results. I don't need to see the game for all of them. Just let me know if my tactics good before I start. Its a great idea Matapous and I would welcome it.

For the record before anyone says: I'm Birmingham in 2016 and although I haven't won anything except the league cup yet it's only a matter of time and only because I'm trying to get enough in the bank for a new stadium (bout a hundred mil i reckon based on last game). Finished top 4 last 2 years.

I've got my tactics down now. But a tester would've saved a lot of frustration that although some of you nay think is "the fun of the game" for me isn't.

I don't get this, the most realistic version of the tactic tester has to be pre-season friendlies, and its enhanced with the feedback you can get from your assman. In as far as trying tactics in midseason goes, this has to be a risk that you run with every tactic you change.

I've often changed tactics midseason and managed to pull off decent results, but having a "tactic tester" that could run anytime you want is akin to tasting something without buying it. That simply doesn't happen in football.

If you want to try something out then call for a friendly. I've done that in midseason when I make an over-elaborate tactic and am uncertain of its effects. For now I'm content to use preseason friendlies. If there are changes to be made to the game, I'd like the developers to concentrate on adding more features to the GUI and to the match engine that would allow us a greater degree of control over set-pieces and make it easier for us to switch tactics midgame. Simple changes to the GUI that enable us to make a change to our formation with one button without having to go through 2 screens is something I'd like to see. The ability to signal changes from the touchline or to shout out would be fantastic and this could be translated into simple things like push up, stay tight or keep the ball.

For me it would take the enjoyment out of the game, because I would go into every match expecting a result because 'my tactic tester said I would win. As I mentioned earlier, friendlies are the way to go and as Rashidi1 points out, the AssMan feedback is another welcome addition to help you realise where you are going wrong. I also like the idea of quick, touchline tactical changes being brought in, as I often seem to concede goals whilst waiting for my changes to kick in.

To integrate this idea into a realistic setting, as well as using friendlies for tactical experimentation, if the training module could be beefed up, we could have training sessions where we watch the players practicing out tactics - set-pieces, formations, off-side traps etc.

Yeah because thats realistic isn't it?

Oh seriously drop that "realism" crap.

But I don't support this idea, though nothing to do with realism, just laziness of the player that is annoying here.

You can just create a new game with one league (one division) with a small DB and test your tactics there.

Or have a training mode where you play against the reserves or another team. You could also trial a few players in Lower Leagues to see how they cope against your first team.

That's just a pre season friendly.

I think the idea is a bit gash tbh. If I understand Rusty correctly maybe you mean as an option in training where you can have a behind closed doors friendly and try the tactics out? That would add realism to the game I guess but how many real life managers would love to have a simulator to play with to try their tactics out? It isn't gonna happen

That's just a pre season friendly.

I think the idea is a bit gash tbh. If I understand Rusty correctly maybe you mean as an option in training where you can have a behind closed doors friendly and try the tactics out? That would add realism to the game I guess but how many real life managers would love to have a simulator to play with to try their tactics out? It isn't gonna happen

Yes, a "sandbox" mode if you wish, but slightly different in that it appears to be a friendly, rather than an exhibition match. After all, a part of training IRL is so that managers can test out tactical options. This would be similar.

Yes, a "sandbox" mode if you wish, but slightly different in that it appears to be a friendly, rather than an exhibition match. After all, a part of training IRL is so that managers can test out tactical options. This would be similar.

Yeah that would be good. An improvement on the OP's idea and this way it includes it in the original game. I think there should be some drawbacks such as fatigue in the players used e.g.

Archived