How important is Aerial Ability for goalkeepers?

On my 2nd season as Man Utd, I have a keeper problem...Foster wants to leave me as he wants a new challenge, I want to buy Asenjo but can't as he is injured for 4-5 months. So I want Akinfeev BUT his aerial ability is 11, my best scouts say he is a good signing, do I buy him or is his aerial ability a weekness? All his other stats a really good for a great keeper.

If I remember correctly, SI have indicated that Aerial Ability comes into play for every shot into the top half of the net as well as for dealing with corners, crosses, etc. So I think of it as a fairly important attribute.

• Administrators

Aerial Ability is very important for a keeper, jumping very much less so. It will be a slight weakness, but his other stats certainly make up for that slight deficiency.

If you have a defence that is brilliant in the air you can afford to ignore this attribute to a certain extent, but it certainly is a vital attribute for goalkeeping in general. Its the same as if you have a very tight defence of great positioning and acute judgment of the offside trap you can afford to ignore rushing out and one-on-ones, whereas you may wish to invest in agility and reflexes for long shots, communication for tightness, and aerial ability for crosses.

If you cannot find a perfect goalkeeper then look for one that bolsters the weaknesses of your defence, where you can spare goalkeeping attributes that your defence makes somewhat irrelevant.

For example the combination Rene Adler's intelligence and agility in combination to Federico Fazio's aerial ability is a potent defence against most threats, barring two giant strikers and a good cross delivery.

Slightly off topic but i was wondering if anyone has got any conclusive ideas on how the penalty success/failure is worked. Obviously the ME takes into account the penalty takers attributes. Does it take into account morale, overall form, match rating? Anything else - what hidden attributes are at work here? And how is the chances of a goallkeeper saving a penalty worked since there is no penalty saving associated attribute??

Archived