Away attendance needed on fm please!

Again, for the 3rd game running I beg of you. As a loyal away supporter of my football team I think its time Football Manager had away attendances. It wouldnt take much, Just a small number in brackets by the side of the attendance. It would make the game so much better knowing how many fans you take away with you, Especially in big cup games and European away matches. They never listen to me so if you think its decent and your a big cheese, please sort it. Thanks.

There isnt any official away attendance IRL though is there, you get to know roughly how many away fans are there from the commentator or ticket allocation, but on any match report it nevers says the away attendance. I suppose it wouldnt do any harm having it in the game though:thup:

There isnt any official away attendance IRL though is there, you get to know roughly how many away fans are there from the commentator or ticket allocation, but on any match report it nevers says the away attendance. I suppose it wouldnt do any harm having it in the game though:thup:

Rubbish!

Look at any team's programme, and the away attendances are listed for every game. I always have a good laugh at the numbers that Boston Utd (when they were in League 2), Barnet, Yeovil and Cheltenham brought to Edgeley Park

Wow, didnt realise i was going to get my head biten off, if its in the match reports in programmes then they should really put it in the news item report you get after a game, they could say 'x amount of (away team here) fans travelled to (stadium here) to watch their side take on (home team here)'.

Would be a nice addition but tbh, the game doesn't show much evidence of away fans anyway, as unless its a rivalry game, fm doesn't seem to recognise that bigger clubs will mean a bigger attendance than average and often there's no difference in the attendance whether its a small team or a large team. I might be wrong for the prem teams but in the lower leagues, this is usually the case.

I quite like this idea, would be interesting for big teams that get relegated, or other teams like AFC Wimbledon who have a large away support. Although its probably not as easy as it sounds to implement in the game, as two attendances per match would now need to be calculated plus away ticket allocations per stadium. Still, nice idea.

It's true. If your burton albion playing away at a big ground it could bring meaning to the motivation line " do it for the fans ". surely it wouldnt take much and nothing beats knowing how far your fans are willing to travel. Brings you closer to the club.

away fans know what i'm talking about.

I go to a lot of away games and dont think it matters about numbers so much! Example, the atmosphere between my fellow fans at Stoke was more electric than the away games at Bolton, Everton and others! Thats despite The Stoke away allocation was tiny (aswell as the concourse)

My garden shed (my garden shed)

Is bigger than this (is bigger than this)

My garden shed is.......

My garden shed is.......

Thats what fans have sung to Watford about The Vic, too. Wolves did last season iirc. Thing is, it's probably true. I wouldn't bet against their sheds looking nicer, either.

My garden shed is.......

:D We sung that to Leeds at Elland Road

Why is taking 200 fans to an away game unrealistic? I remember MK Dons bringing 57 to my beloved Bristol City in League one a couple of years back!

Would be a great addition to the game :-)

Thats because Franchise have a poor away following because they have no history, and no time to build up an away following. I support a midtable league 1 team, and I can't remember the last time we took less than 500 to a saturday game. Normally getting up to 800, and thats in the shadow of the 2 manc clubs

So yes, different clubs away followings would have to be set by the researchers. Clubs that traditionally have large away followings would consistently take more than clubs who never really have

It would be a nice cosmetic addition as mentioned, but it wouldn't serve any real purpose.

I could also see a lot of bitching and moaning about how few/many fans your team takes from real-life supporters. If you compare the Premier League for example in real life... clubs like Fulham averaging 24,000 per home game take very few fans up North to away games, even teams like Wigan averaging 18,000 for home games still only take a very small amount to clubs less than 30miles away. Similarly, i can't remember Portsmouth ever bringing more than a couple of hundred to Everton.

What i'm getting at, is that the % of away support varies so much across the Premier League teams. Consider that Everton take approx 2500 to away games, thats 7% of our average home attendance of 35,000. Then consider that Portsmouth might take 400 up North from a home attendance of 19,000, thats just 2%.

How do SI replicate that accurately in the game? Do they create a club attribute of hardcore fan%? away fan % ?

If i see the likes of Fulham packing out Goodison with 3000 fans, i'll just laugh :)

as a travler with Leicester i find the away attendance on the lcfc.com website, i would like to see this, it'd be good to see if seaside games are more popular with fans in the BSP and north and south

seen a few non league clubs only bringing about 10 people down to the english riveira, would it be realistic enough that is realises not many part timers will have alot of fans to travel long distances?

There's a cracking picture somewhere of when Dagenham played Leigh at Victoria Road (sorry, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Stadium) of 1 Leigh fan standing by himself behind the goal in the away end.

There's a cracking picture somewhere of when Dagenham played Leigh at Victoria Road (sorry, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Stadium) of 1 Leigh fan standing by himself behind the goal in the away end.

All together now...

What's it like?

What's it like?

What's it like to have no friends?

Seriously, it'd be a great feature to have, and as others have said the data for away support of clubs is there, but it would take a lot to implement factoring in away team hidden average attendance, away team rep, home team rep, home team allocation to away team...

The distances should be taken into accout, as well as the fact some clubs have supporters in certain regions while others don't.

Ex: Flamengo (from Rio de Janeiro) have many fans in the Northeast part of the country, but few in Southern Brazil, while Grêmio (a club from Porto Alegre) is the other way around.

Maybe it could work in England.

But what about in Brazil, that a club like Flamengo, for example, is more popular in certain cities than in others. For example, if Flamengo is to play in Goiania against Goias, there are probably more or the same number of away (Flamengo) fans than home team fans, but if Flamengo goes to Coritiba to play Atlético-PR, the percentage of away (Flamengo) fans is smaller. How would they replicate that? Now each club will have a reputation value or something like that for every city?

Apparently PMLF was faster than me.

• 3 weeks later...

yet again I post begging you all to get together and beg SI to add away attendances to fm10. As a hardened away supporter of your club it truely does mean a lot to know how many fans you take away from home. It brings you much closer to your club. Away supporters know what I'm talking about. Sort it out SI please.. been asking for 3 Fm's now.

how is it difficult, how much memory is used for doing them boring press conferences that use the same questions allllllllll the time. or how much memory is used for the same old team talks with the same options for the past 3 games? so many things that are boring and slow the game down so much and all us hardcore football fans want is a tiny little number next to the attendance. Sounds to me like fm's now played by people who dont actually go to the football. My how things have changed.

how is it difficult, how much memory is used for doing them boring press conferences that use the same questions allllllllll the time. or how much memory is used for the same old team talks with the same options for the past 3 games? so many things that are boring and slow the game down so much and all us hardcore football fans want is a tiny little number next to the attendance. Sounds to me like fm's now played by people who dont actually go to the football. My how things have changed.

You tell 'em, grandpa. :p

Seriously though, away attendances aren't really something very important, and (almost) purely asthetical in terms of gameplay. While I agree that maybe it would be a nice touch, maybe as shown by the sentiments expressed your post, work is needed in more sizeable and important areas before focus is placed on pretty pointless features.

Yes it's very easy to implement in the game, there's probably a formula you can devise whereby 'average home attendance / X = away attendance' and that would probably satisfy you so you can have a nice number next to every away game, but it's simply NOT realistic and it DOESN'T replicate real-life scenarios.

Did you read my post in the other thread? From following Everton both HOME and AWAY this season (i take offence to your 'doesnt follow football swipe') i understand better than most how Premier League attendances work and it's not as simple as you think it is to replicate Premier League away attendance accurately.

Some Southern Clubs from London fill-out their allocation at Goodison; Arsenal, Spurs and on occasions Chelsea. Others like Fulham bring a pittance up North. Yes it's easy to assign a value to Fulham so their away attendance is accurate, but what's to say that won't change? What if Fulham start being successful?

Please come back when you've thought the idea through and have suggesstions on how to implement it. Being stropy and opening recurring threads will just annoy the hell out of people.

Yes it's very easy to implement in the game, there's probably a formula you can devise whereby 'average home attendance / X = away attendance' and that would probably satisfy you so you can have a nice number next to every away game, but it's simply NOT realistic and it DOESN'T replicate real-life scenarios.

Did you read my post in the other thread? From following Everton both HOME and AWAY this season (i take offence to your 'doesnt follow football swipe') i understand better than most how Premier League attendances work and it's not as simple as you think it is to replicate Premier League away attendance accurately.

Some Southern Clubs from London fill-out their allocation at Goodison; Arsenal, Spurs and on occasions Chelsea. Others like Fulham bring a pittance up North. Yes it's easy to assign a value to Fulham so their away attendance is accurate, but what's to say that won't change? What if Fulham start being successful?

Please come back when you've thought the idea through and have suggesstions on how to implement it.

I think maybe a formula of sorts could be workable if it took into account distance between grounds, rivalry, significance of match etc. However it'd probably be pretty complex if you wanted a realistic figure.

Spain can also be taken as an example. Away fans are actually rare in Spanish games because of the vast geographical distance, and only the truly hardcore would travel across the country to support their team. Some smaller Spanish grounds don't even have sections for away fans in fact.

It's not as easy as it seems to program. We cannot use England as a sole example when implementing something like this.

I think maybe a formula of sorts could be workable if it took into account distance between grounds, rivalry, significance of match etc. However it'd probably be pretty complex if you wanted a realistic figure.

Exactly, theres just too many variables when taking it into account. FA Cup games allow something like 15% of the ground capacity to the away team don't they? Are we going to replicate this as well?

Remember when Havant & Waterlooville took over Anfield? or when Barrow took over The Riverside? I think both of the away attendances on those occasions were more than their usual home attendances?

You either have an accurate Away Attendance calculation for all competitions, or you don't have it in the game, it's simple, nobody wants a half-cocked idea.

Look i dont know how to make it work. Im not a computer game maker. Im a computer game player and a hardcore leicester city champions! champions! champions! supporter and i like many others truely want to know how many fans we take away with us when we play in europe ( on fm of course ) if the game can generate things on the same small size scale like weather temperatures then surely away attendances can be added. It truely is a tiny ask. and you know you'd like it.

Look i dont know how to make it work. Im not a computer game maker. Im a computer game player and a hardcore leicester city champions! champions! champions! supporter and i like many others truely want to know how many fans we take away with us when we play in europe ( on fm of course ) if the game can generate things on the same small size scale like weather temperatures then surely away attendances can be added. It truely is a tiny ask. and you know you'd like it.

Weather is a simple calculation, thus why it's so inaccurate sometimes.

If you want accurate attendance figures (which are the only which would be at all worthwhile, and still serving purpose) then a lot of time would need to be put in, that would be better spent elsewhere.

This just is not a realistically implementable idea.

Archived