It‘s time to remove AI advantages

FM09 has made huge strides to eliminate Match Engine advantages and exploits. There are no more superkeepers and 4-2-4 can be easily contained if you use counter-tactics. The corner exploit has been overlooked since it's a player and not AI advantage, but I'm sure FM10 will close that and other loopholes. Read some of wwfan's posts to see how busy he is finding and closing both AI advantages and player exploits.

Methinks it is actually time to give the AI 'human advantages' to make it a 'fairer' game. :thup:

Like proper squad-building and transfers that make sense, not spending £35 million on a big name player and sitting him on the bench the whole season long and failing in their title aspirations as a result.

Would be better if it got progressively worse. So for example in July it is 6-0, in October its 3-1, and in January its only 2-2, then March you lose if you don't change your tactics. You can't just keep your tactic the same forever you need to know how to change it to get what you want from your players, and always your opposition will be finding ways to beat it. Thats obvious to me.

As for the "AI Advantages" I don't actually believe them, as the ME does not differentiate between an AI team or a Player team, so how is it an advantage, the only difference really is that you don't know how to set your tactic up to use the 'advantage'

If the AI does have any "advantages" on the pitch - which I very very much doubt* - then it's only fair, considering the huge advanatages a human player has off the pitch - proper team building, developing players for the future, picking teams based on attributes rather than CA and so on.

And tactic "cracking" doesn't occur. The AI reacts to your reputation. If you're doing well, then it's gonna play more defensively aganst you. Which is pretty damn logical...

* Yes, sometimes the AI keeper plays brilliantly. But then, sometimes, so does mine. Yes, sometimes they switch to a 4-2-4 and score in the 93rd minute. But then, sometimes I go to my super attacking tactic and score in the 95th minute....

I hope they get rid of the tactic cracking in January. You can play a killer tactic for the first half of the season, as soon as you hit January it becomes useless.

That's not that unrelaistic. Look at Reading..2nd in the league at Christmas and thrashing everyone at home. Recently we haven't won a match at home in 7 games and struggling to even keep hold of a play-off place.

• Administrators

Been discussed elsewhere on these forums, there is no such thing as 'tactic cracking' - depending on your teams ability and league position, teams will take a more defensive/attacking approach much like real life. A team playing at Old Trafford is much more likely to play defensive against you that playing away at someone like West Brom.

That's not that unrelaistic. Look at Reading..2nd in the league at Christmas and thrashing everyone at home. Recently we haven't won a match at home in 7 games and struggling to even keep hold of a play-off place.

That's because Reading are ground sharing with a Rugby team and Reading play a short passing game. The pitch has got progressively worse over the season to the point where it has destroyed Readings style of play.

When you make an offer to a player you know that usually all of a sudden the AI comes to join and bid against you.

This AI spy advantage must be removed.

-

Also not unrealistic. When you make an offer it is seen by others who then think that player might be available, whereas before you offered they didn't think he was available, its kinda simple really.

one thing they need to get rid of are stupid wondergoals from random players who have stats of about 7 longshots. fair enough if they come very rarely but over half of all the goals i ever conceed come from 30 yards or more from people who are normally useless at longshots

We may complain the AI has advantages in the short term, but in the long term the game truely belongs to the Human Manager.

The Youth aspect of the game is one that the SI has never quite managed to get right with regards to AI teambuilding.

I've just bought 3 of the Inter's brightest stars in 2014 for £2mill each. They didn't negoatiate and they're one of the richest clubs. Similary, i quit Barca for Standard Liege. Barca promptly transfer listed a Portuguese 'Wonderkid' RB who i developed for 4 seasons and are willing to let nearly the entire youth side i built up leave for pennys.

There is no youth strategy in the game for AI clubs. I can buy every youth player under 18 for less than £5-6mill if i spot them early enough, get them on low wages and longterm deals and wheel them out to the first team when i've developed them. Hence why it's so easy to dominate after 4-5 years at a mid-top level club.

In my current file, I have been ripping the premiership apart for 4 seasons or so. However, last season for no discernable reason, teams have had a much easier time against my squad. This is mainly due to bad decisions from the AI for my team. I used to score hatfuls of goals from corner kicks, now my defenders head over or wide 99% of the time. My strikers were knocking in goals for fun earlier in the file, but now they would rather take a 30 yard potshot or hit a shot at the keeper from 10 yards out. I cant find the source of this problem, as I have been altering my tactics before games, trying new tactics altogether, and my squad has not got a whole heap of new players in it or anything. I think the real problem is that I've just been too successful and now the game has players like messi underperforming in every match. I think its pretty evident that the AI has countermeasures against player success, to keep the game challenging. However, I dont think this is really a good thing, as if anything, it should get easier as you progress and add to your squad. While I don't want to smash through every team 7-0, it would be nice if my players could beat wolves with fairly minimal effort, and its put me in the annoying position of not being able to develop youngsters due to rubbish teams having the game of their lives against me.

We may complain the AI has advantages in the short term, but in the long term the game truely belongs to the Human Manager.

The Youth aspect of the game is one that the SI has never quite managed to get right with regards to AI teambuilding.

I've just bought 3 of the Inter's brightest stars in 2014 for £2mill each. They didn't negoatiate and they're one of the richest clubs. Similary, i quit Barca for Standard Liege. Barca promptly transfer listed a Portuguese 'Wonderkid' RB who i developed for 4 seasons and are willing to let nearly the entire youth side i built up leave for pennys.

There is no youth strategy in the game for AI clubs. I can buy every youth player under 18 for less than £5-6mill if i spot them early enough, get them on low wages and longterm deals and wheel them out to the first team when i've developed them. Hence why it's so easy to dominate after 4-5 years at a mid-top level club.

How do you think Arsenal find so many good young players >.> We nick em all! :D

I'm playing FM08 at the mo and have a nice team, we average 20 shots a game with a conversion rate at about 1/5, the opposition score 1/2 from 4 shots. Always had this problem with every FM (05-08 haven't played enough 09 to get a good team), as my team gets better the conversion rate gets worse. Its a positive correlation.

If the game dicks you it doesn't matter if the A.I waste their money.

The attributes actually mattering.

It annoyed me when a Millwall left back with long shots 7 and footedness left or left only scored a 35 yard screamer with his right foot. Then to rub it in a DM with jumping 11 and heading 8 outjumps my defender with the same stats at 13 and 14 respectively to head home past my quality keeper from 18 yards.

That could be a sign that you chose the right tactics, of course: you've nullified your opponent's attacking threats so well that the opposing full-backs have to take pot-shots with their weak feet, because they've no better options. Sometimes, although rarely, these will go in.

He had 1 shot in the game as well. His only goal of the seaon so far.

Also against Watford 3 strikers ended goal droughts against me. Their 2 starters and their sub. I lost 3-2. No one's luck is that bad.

an example of having one shot and scoring well 4 shots and scoring 4 would be Arshavin so you dont have to have many shots to score

In FM 09 I conceed about 95% less last minute goals than I did in 08?

However I do seem notice a very big gulf in how a team beforms at home to how they perform away. In one of my saves I was tanking teams at home 3 or 4 nil. Then getting gubbed by around the same ammount away. Just a bit odd though some teams do have better home records to away it was just the manner in the ways the games where going.

I'm playing FM08 at the mo and have a nice team, we average 20 shots a game with a conversion rate at about 1/5, the opposition score 1/2 from 4 shots. Always had this problem with every FM (05-08 haven't played enough 09 to get a good team), as my team gets better the conversion rate gets worse. Its a positive correlation.

If the game dicks you it doesn't matter if the A.I waste their money.

I've been playing CM/FM since the 01/02 version, and I've always believed the AI has an advantage. That's reason #1 why I just could not bring myself to buy the current version. Games are supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

Reason #2: no additional African leagues.

an example of having one shot and scoring well 4 shots and scoring 4 would be Arshavin so you dont have to have many shots to score

Slight gulf in class between Arshavin scoring 4 from 4 (3 on a plate) and Tony Craig hitting it from 30 odd yards on his weaker foot.

It's great that you need to make the correct tactical decisions to take a player out of the game and all, but you cant blame crap players scoring wonder goals on your tactics. If I choose not to use opposition instructions against a team like Bristol City as Manchester United, the obvious gulf in class should be enough to see them off. Unless you get your tactics horribly wrong, as in putting every player on the wings and a striker in goal or something, you should be able to control the game fairly easily in my opinion. However with FM09 a lot of the time against weaker teams, you do need to have your tactics more or less spot on, or you will be in for a very frustrating time.

It's great that you need to make the correct tactical decisions to take a player out of the game and all, but you cant blame crap players scoring wonder goals on your tactics.

Let me put this another way. Your tactics will - assuming you're managing in a reasonably sensible manner - be set up so as to minimize the likelihood of their succeeding with obvious goal threats.

The logical consequence of this is that a higher proportion than normal of their goals will come from their less likely goal threats.

Been discussed elsewhere on these forums, there is no such thing as 'tactic cracking' - depending on your teams ability and league position, teams will take a more defensive/attacking approach much like real life. A team playing at Old Trafford is much more likely to play defensive against you that playing away at someone like West Brom.

This :thup:

At the beginning, the AI don't know you and don't rate you. As you build up a reputation by winning matches, the AI starts to think 'this manager is the real deal' and starts to play differently against you.

When you see this happening, don't get annoyed at it; take it as a compliment, as the AI respects you.

Oh, and adapt while you are at it :)

Archived