Highest Attendances

I dont think i can beat that, but I did jump from an attendance of 4000 in the championship with Barnet, to an attendance of 38000 in the premiership with Barnet.

My ground was being upgraded and i was playing at Upton Park in the meantime.

Unfortunately, I have gone back to my own stadium now and it only has a capacity of 12500. Boo! All i can think about is all that lost revenue on match days :(

The Salt Lake stadium in Calcutta really does hold that many. However, isn't the Maracana the biggest?

According to Wiki, Maracana is the 8th biggest with a capacity of 96000. The North Korean National Team's stadium is the only one bigger than the Salt Lake Stadium. IIRC, the Maracana did hold 200000 at one point, but they had to reduce it because of Health & Safety and whatnot

My brave Colchester had a CH play off final at Wembley attended by 89.990 spectators against fierce Ipswich rival.

I lost that game on extra time after finishing........4-4, 3 goals of mine cancelled due to off side......what a nightmare..... I'm still praying for that referee to be poisoned by malaria

On 08 I managed to get Old Trafford up to 125,000 but on 09 they wont expand past 100,000 :(

That would be because the theoretical future capacity of Old Trafford if they were to extend the last remaining stand to three tiers would be approximately 96,000, making it the biggest stadium in England.

It is unlikely to happen for sometime however as that remaining stand has a railway line and lots of houses behind it that would make expanding it as expensive as it cost to rebuild the other three stands to three tiers.

the Maracana did hold 200000 at one point, but they had to reduce it because of Health & Safety and whatnot

Yeh i thought there was a stadium that could hold about 200000 but was too sure where.

I played in the World Club Championship the season before aswell and that was at the Sydney Stadium...what does that hold?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_stadiums_by_capacity

Oh, and where I said 96,000 for Old Trafford as a theoretical maximum capacity, i think its actually 98,000.

Last I heard was that there wouldn't be any problems regarding planning permission, apart from one or two opponents on Railway Road (street behind the railway line and the South stand), but it's obviously just down to cost at the moment. Given the current economic situation and the reported Glazier debt, it's unlikely to happen for some considerable time unless they raise huge additional investment to fund the project.

Last I heard was that there wouldn't be any problems regarding planning permission, apart from one or two opponents on Railway Road (street behind the railway line and the South stand), but it's obviously just down to cost at the moment. Given the current economic situation and the reported Glazier debt, it's unlikely to happen for some considerable time unless they raise huge additional investment to fund the project.

Never said there was significant opposition, it just involves buying up the houses and somehow building over the railway line. The cost is as you say, the main issue as it is estimated to cost over £100 million for a boost of 20,000+ in capacity. Would be fairly cool to have the full bowl effect but as the sun shines from the south most the day, the grass may get worse due to lack of sun unless they make the roof transparent.

Archived