Are there any guides about for managing small teams?

I've only ever really managed at the top levels, and though I've had a fair bit of success, I can't help but think it's the quality of players that are getting the results more than anything. So I've decided to have a bash at a very small team (IFK Malmo in the Swedish fourth tier, specifically), but could do with some tips. I was wondering if there are any guides anywhere for smaller teams, either in-depth or just pointers really. I'm sure there must be a thread somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find one. Cheers!

I started this thread and discussion a little while ago - FM09 Heathxxx Management Approach (Lower League Edition)

Although I started by discussing how I started with Altrincham in the BSP and my overall approach, others who've helped with the discussion have used this and similar approaches to lower league games in other countries and leagues. Hope it helps.

all i can say is use the player search function and file players by scoring, tackling and such and try and build a decent squad, and try getting some good friendlies to bring in some cash, oh and try get a parent club

What he said.

But please; DO go in and ask! :D

Yeah, don't think I'll be doing that in a hurry! Not sure whether the response would be one of disdain or laughter, but I can't imagine they'd be impressed by someone asking for tips in their forum.

Anyway! Thanks for that link, heath. I'll have a read of that. Training for my part-time team is one thing I'm most unsure about, I've never made my own for my full-time squads, so I have no idea what to do for a team of part-timers. Might just download one.

Oh and while I'm here, should I be trying to get the better players onto full-time contracts as much as possible? And is it possible to change a team from semi-professional to professional?

Not sure whether the response would be one of disdain or laughter

I'm a regular reader of LLM (though I don't post there, for obvious reasons), I can assure you; laughter is the last thing you could expect. :D

Archived