Finally! Season is over. Time to unistall it and go back in time.

After playing a season in FM with Braga, I finished in 3rd place in the League in front of Porto and a few points away from Benfica. I was the second highest scoring team and won the Portuguese Cup.

I had an overall above average performance.

Now, my problem with this game is simple. For the first time since I play FM i was forced to play consistently in Full Match. Something i would only use a few times in previous versions (usually in the pre-season).

It was fun for a while actually. But being able to make only 2 to 3 games a night, it was just too slow.

Simply, it seems like tactics need to be almost completely readjusted for every match. And there's a dozen factors to take in consideration.

Now guess what. Even if that's how it happens in real life, I don't really care. Those real life managers are being paid for their work, I'm not! Actually i have a real job! and i would like to be able to get home and have some fun. But no. I leave work and come home to have further work.

Will this come to the point when I will need a Coaching Degree in order to be able to play and understand the game?

And I would like to see how real life managers do playing this game... would they actually do well, or be puzzled by the complexity of sliders and numbers?

REAL LIFE IS NOT FUN! It just is what it is. Games in the other hand are supposed to be fun.

___

But the biggest problem with FM is really not to be able to easily identify the flaws in tactics and how each slide correlate with each other and how it affects the team. I've read guide after guide(which by the way i shouldn't need to) but it still ain't enough.

For instance, FM should be as simple as this:

I'm winning away against Man. Utd. Ill push the mentality bar to defense and time wasting to more often to try and hold the result.

But what really happens is that you can't make such simple adjustments. Everything in your tactic, from the different team sliders to individual instructions seem to correlate with each other so much and in such an overcomplex form that a simple tweak into playing more defensively will just destroy the whole tactic and they get two into your net in the final 5 minutes.

In those situations there seems to be only two choices. You either leave it as it is and hope they don't score or you choose a more defensive tactic that you build up for that purpose.

This is just stupid. I shouldn't need a whole different tactic that took me hours to build and lots of hard work. It should be as simple as tweaking the "Mentality" slide. Attacking mentality for attack and Defensive mentality for Defense. And not our own "Home Tactic version 8.0 hopefully-final-version" for when we want to attack and "Away Tactic version 30.0 Oh-God-Please-No-More!" for defending...

___

What's so hard about telling our players "I want you to get out there and score a goal" or "I want you to hold on, slow down and play with patience"?

Those should be translated correctly into the game!

___

I'm sick and tired of adjusting every freaking time to the opposite team style of play!! I don't care if they are an attacking team and i shouldn't be advised to play with deep defense. Because I'm an attacking team too, so why don't they drop their defensive lines more deep for a change?

It seems like I always have to react in a certain way to the opponents approach to the game or else the probabilities of winning the match drop.

It would make sense in this situation to react in case the opponent team was stronger than me, but i realized that's common even when playing against weaker teams. It seems like it's always me who have to react.

____

Now lets go back to 2008... or even farther.

Good post.The tactics side of FM is too coplex for a game that is there to give you some fun after work.But i woudnt like the game to become an arcade where just one tactics can get you the Champions league.It needs to be a balance betwen fun and chalenge.

You can't just say 'I want you to score a goal'. Why? Because it would be too easy. It has to be a realistic simulation of real life, not just a bit of fun. The realism is what makes FM FM. It wouldn't be the same without it

For 9 out of 10 games I only have to adjust my D-Line, closing down of my defenders and the mentality of my strikers. Some games force me occasionaly to redesign my entire tactical system for that specific opposition, but its very rare.

Argh this game is not hard at all. I use key highlights, and I do well enough, although my defence are costing me, but that is just my defence.

IMO SI need to make tactics harder, and the game as a whole harder, as it is too easy to get a side promoted into the BSS/N, and get them promoted in the very first season as it is easy to get League 2 quality players.

You can't just say 'I want you to score a goal'. Why? Because it would be too easy. It has to be a realistic simulation of real life, not just a bit of fun. The realism is what makes FM FM. It wouldn't be the same without it

spot on , CM2007 had a 'super' tactic .. where anyteam could win 8-0 any game..

now is that realism ?

Realism.. hmm.. it's a game, realism exists only in real life, otherwise known as reality.

I see no reason for FM having stupidly overcomplicated or redundant tactics just for the sake of realism, I want to set up a formation and just tel my players basic stuff, like in the old CM games (well besides the with/without ball screens).

Problem with FM is they are trying too hard to make it realistic, you should make it FUN, reality sucks ass.

I'm perfectly happy with the difficulty level. I'm not one of FM's greatest players, in fact to be honest, my crowning achievement was winning the UEFA Cup two years in a row with Betis, I'm a fairly average player, but I like the whole tactics module. I like the fact I need more than one formation for a game. It makes things more realistic.

Oh tweaking tactics is fine, it's just that not everyone knows how to do it properly, not to mention that every team needs different instructions (well not every team..), it gets annoying.

And yeah we paid for a game, not to analyze every aspect of it and be distracted by one feature that is blocking everything else.

Its a manager game, you are expected to MANAGE you team and tactics and watching every aspect of the game is what it should be!

Don't mean to sound daft, but Managers dont pick a formation then go watch tv while their side is playing, then comes back to see if they are winning, then goes back to tv. Thats how the average FM player takes charge over his game!

Who said that you have to complete a season every 1-3 days? Lots of people enjoy burning past seasons and rushing everything. I am on the other side of the spectrum, I like watching my games in FULL Mode or Extended. I am married with 2 kids and I dont have much time, but I still do not rush my season. There is no time frame or a rush to complete everything. I think rushing through everything is a real problem with the "Y Generation".

If you wanna see people put the ball in the back of the net, go look at "football goals" on you tube.

The worst thing ever about SI games in the past is that you could just ignore most of the fundamental footballing things like marking, footedness etc and just alt tab out of the game, surf the net and still win championships and cups when you alt tabbed back!!

My mate won a title once with FM while watching tv and only looking at half time results the entire season. He was Crystal Palace in his 3rd season. This was in FM05 I believe! He went on to win title after title playing in that very way. Absurd! Can you win on Halo 3 or Warcraft or whatever alt tabbing out? No you put in your attention and play. You pay to Play.

The major issue with the game now is that most people DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO PUT THEIR IDEAS INTO SOMETHING THE MATCH ENGINE CAN PRODUCE. This is the actual issue.

I read the tactics guides etc and read a whole bunch of Paul C's posts and the game makes a lot more sense to me now.

I have a home tactic and an away tactic. Both are 4-4-2 and I only load the different ones because of different mentalities. Its a bit annoying having to load both, I agree, but thats football. Managers spend entire days, all season long 6 days a week, before kick off to create tactics and talk to their players.

Full match takes what? 45 min? Extended is a perfect length to get a large number of games in per season and see what is going on. Also you have an abundance of stats thrown at you to know exactly where you are going wrong.

They need to possibly re-write the way tactics are communicated to the engine. Sliders arent a great help, but they make sense once you understand it.

I also wanted to add that the game can sometimes be confusing with too much stop/start to just get a simple person marked or closed down.

My opinion to the opening post:

"Simply, it seems like tactics need to be almost completely readjusted for every match. And there's a dozen factors to take in consideration."- Yes, that's how it should be and I really hope it won't be changed in future versions.

"Games in the other hand are supposed to be fun."-For me, it's great fun to react different for every game. But perhaps it's just me...

"Everything in your tactic, from the different team sliders to individual instructions seem to correlate with each other so much and in such an overcomplex form that a simple tweak into playing more defensively will just destroy the whole tactic and they get two into your net in the final 5 minutes."-Exactly, that's why you should have more than 1 tactics (I have 4, btw). Then you just have to change your tactics. Or try to have a player with good offensive and one with good defensive attributes for a certain position; then it may be enough just to sub the player (works great for me in lower league).

"But being able to make only 2 to 3 games a night, it was just too slow. "- I agree, but once you "know" the AI, it's enough to watch the matches in "key" or "extended" highlights.

"I've read guide after guide(which by the way i shouldn't need to)"- I'm not sure about that. You're right, if you just want to have some fun, but it's definitely not true if you want to get the best out of your team. It's the same as in a real-time strategy game. If you want to be really good there, you are supposed to read some words written by a "pro"-gamer or you will never get to that level (unless you are exceptionally gifted)

"REAL LIFE IS NOT FUN!" -Really???

I agree somewhat with the OP. Up until my current game I was watching matches on Key and wondering why the whole thing would just change after 60 mins and I didn't really know what to do, and consequently not enjoying it very much. On my current save I'm watching in either Full or Extended and tweaking a lot, and it seems to get me fairly decent results - nothing incredible - but decent.

However, there are players who like to play it like I used to, and the game should cater for them. This is where the AssMan advice needs to be improved imho. It should be possible for the AssMan to say "Hey look boss, they've changed shape/tempo/d-line, maybe we should put in a DM/drop deeper/exploit the space behind them more" because you won't notice this in Key highlights.

In response to being "forced" to use full match, I only ever use Key Highlights and I'm really enjoying it and having success.

Are you building your own tactics and managing a lower team? If so I'm impressed.

I play with only key highights on. Yet I run split view for their formation and my AssMan's feedback for the moments when I am not watching the highlights and it works perfectly well IMO.

I agree with the guys who say that you have to watch it in full and maybe that's what I should do, but I find that my method makes things quick but, at the same time, controlled.

I'm playing as Empoli and using my own adapted 4-3-3

Archived